Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #1

ES vs. ES II

Out of curiosity, how do the ES and ES II compare, especially in terms of reliability, ease of operation/usability, and all that? I don't imagine they're all that different, but you never know...

Last edited by Stevopedia; 06-09-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: word choice
06-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Forum Member

Supposedly the ES and ESII have virtually the same electronics; the only significant differences between the two cameras are the battery locations and the self-timer on the ESII.

Their predecessor, the Electro Spotmatic, was an entirely different beast. The electronics in that camera are supposed to be quite unreliable as it was the first version, and the model was not sold outside of Japan.

06-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm ... - Google Book Search
06-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That has some good information except it is cryptic and doesn't clearly distinguish the first Electo Spotmatics from the ES. I guessing that an actually Electro Spotty would have value to a collector!

The Electro Spotmatic was only sold in Japan and had electronic issues. the front looked like this.

and the top looked like this

When the updated ES was sold in the U.S. and Europe etc. it looked like this:

and the ESII

Here are the specs for the ESII released in 1973

Honeywell Pentax ES II

Go here for time line and sale dates for names and links to additional pics.

Screwmount

06-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Being an electronics guy I'm curious - what sort of "electronics issues"?
06-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote
I don't know specifically, but the electronics were known to simply fail and quit working.
06-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Consider the Electro Spottie was introduced in '71... there was quite a bit of minaturization, bending and stuffing required to get the electronics to fit within a traditional camera shape. I'd expect wiring failures and capacitor problems etc... IC's and flexible circuit boards were furiously being developed. Thus in this particular golden age of SLR, everything improved in reliability and function rapidly... until the price/performance equation tipped towards lower price... I love the earlier and middle era electronic cameras as the good ones provide genuine convenience, quality and feel. For instance, shutters and exposure systems that weren't limited in the long end...

06-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Boy, that black one id nice!
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #9

Not being an electronics guy, I can't give you any details. There are some custom electronics in the ES series that can fail over time or with damage to the body. The problem then is getting replacements. The only source is another ES body.

Vern
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
I just got my ES in the mail today and I was both surprised and intrigued to find that the ES cannot mount the Super Takumar 50/1.4, but apparently the S-M-C and smc Taks are fine. Does anyone know why that is?
06-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The rear of the lens protrudes too far into the mirror box.
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I have been looking at getting another screw mount body. The SP1000 is great, but I want a timer. I thought a data back might be cool too. I read that they made some ES models with a Data Back but didn't see any pictures online (ES Data and the ES II Data) - I assume this means they are few and far between? Does it look like the MX data back? Any other Pentax screw mount bodies with a data back that I might actually be able to find and buy at a reasonable price?

Last edited by Rustyoldbug; 06-17-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo, typo, typo
06-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The rear of the lens protrudes too far into the mirror box.
I find this interesting. It was my understanding that it was the pre-Spotmatics that couldn't handle the 50mm f1.4 lenses. The exception is the later model SV.

Edit: On page 27 of the ES manual it says:

QuoteQuote:
The following 2 lenses will not properly fit the ES body due to the difference of mechanical design and function.

Super Tak 50mm f1.4

Super Tak 55mm f1.8 (with "1.8" engraved on the left of the diaphragm ring and "16" on the right
The same thing is stated for the ES II on page 29 of its manual. I wasn't able to find such a warning in the Spot F manual.

Last edited by Blue; 06-17-2009 at 10:31 AM.
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I have been looking at getting another screw mount body. The SP1000 is great, but I want a timer. I thought a data back might be cool too. I read that they made some ES models with a Data Back but didn't see any pictures online (ES Data and the ES II Data) - I assume this means they are few and far between? Does it look like the MX data back? Any other Pentax screw mount bodies with a data back that I might actually be able to find and buy at a reasonable price?
There was an ESII Data II and a Spot F Data II but I have never seen either of them in person.

Edit: There was also a Spot II with a Data II back.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Data_II.pdf

Last edited by Blue; 06-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I am wondering if the Data II will work on the Spot II, ES II, and Spot F.