Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MX Motor Drive - How & Where?

Hi, Just bought an MX

I'm trying to find one of these:

Pentax Winders and Motor Drives

It's MX Motor Drive (5fps) NOT the Winder (2fps)

Anyone know where I can get one?..all I can find on ebay is two winders and loads of manuals for them.

Ta

06-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

they show up on ebay occasionally, you just have to be very patient. Also try markets or [photography fairs where there are a lot of old kit knocking about (but you will pay a premium).

Just out of interest, what do you want 5fps for? youll only end up swallowing entire rolls of film in under 6 seconds.
06-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just intruiged I guess. Anyways at least I have an MX now
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Banned

you know you have to have a separate battery pack for that motor drive right? they do show up on the bay occasionally, very occasionally. but expect them to go rather high in price. even more so if it has the battery. why do you want the drive over the winder? you plan on shooting sports with the thing? I have a winder and I find it more than useful at 2fps. actually I have two winders, one of which I will be happy to sell ya.

06-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have one for an ME/ ME Super
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen them at KEH from time to time as well as Adorama.

Edit: Adorama has 2 but they aren't cheap. http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20156748.html

& http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20277679.html

Last edited by Blue; 06-11-2009 at 09:51 AM.
06-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know you are looking for a Motor Drive, but I do have a winder for the MX if anyone else needs it.

Also have a a motor drive for the Super Program.

regards,
-tom

06-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
I know you are looking for a Motor Drive, but I do have a winder for the MX if anyone else needs it.

Also have a a motor drive for the Super Program.

regards,
-tom
Now that you mention it , I linked to winders.
06-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Now that you mention it , I linked to winders.
yes, you did.
12-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

I just picked up 2 Pentax MXs, one had a Wonderful/Motor attached. The identification plate is missing, so not sure which one I picked up. It looks like the one pictured at the top of the thread. I located a manual on-line, but it didn't tell how to install batteries. Any suggestions?
12-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by becker163 Quote
I just picked up 2 Pentax MXs, one had a Wonderful/Motor attached. The identification plate is missing, so not sure which one I picked up. It looks like the one pictured at the top of the thread. I located a manual on-line, but it didn't tell how to install batteries. Any suggestions?
Did you mean "winder/motor"? Auto-complete error?

According to old brochures I have, the MX winder takes four AA batteries and has a deeper base to accomodate them, so if you can't see where to put them you must have the motor drive, which as séamuis said, needs an additional power supply.

Also, according to that brochure, the MX motor drive can take the same "Battery Grip M" as the LX motor drive, which is the pistol grip type :
LX with Motor Drive - Pentax User Photo Gallery
This also takes AA batteries (x12) which could be the best option as the batteries will always be available. I believe the K2dmd's motor drive might also have used the same Battery Grip M.

In my brochure, the MX and LX have different Ni-Cd battery packs. This is a cuboid slab type that is like another layer beneath the motor drive and is an alternative power supply. (The third alternative was a much larger power pack which could be worn on your belt). But as the MX and LX (and K2dmd?) motor drives are both supposed to accept the Battery Grip M, I would have thought that their Ni-Cd battery packs would also be interchangeable. I guess they were different to suit the different widths of the cameras, or rather of their winders, so it was a style matter. As it is, TBH I never thought that the LX Ni-Cd battery pack was a particularly good styling match to its motor drive anyway.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 12-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.
12-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The motor drive takes either a ni-cd battery pack or a vertical grip for AA-batteries. The ni-cd are very likely dead and needs replacement. You can't get orginal spare batteries so you would need to build your own using cells of the right size and voltage.

LX & MX Ni-Cd battery pack refurbishment | Amateur Photographer