Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My New Machine

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm now a Pentaxian!
I just purchased a pristine ES with attached Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4. (I already own a super-multi-coated 135/3.5 (which is a lovely lens) and a Supter-Takumar 200/4 - both of which I have been using on my Canon 40d).

I am new to Pentax and new to film in general. I try to do my research so as not to ask the same silly questions... but perhaps you will help me with a few what's best issues:

For my ES I am leaning toward the L28 battery (lithium) - is there reasonable consensus that this is best?

What are the top 5 preferred ISO 100 non-slide color films?
Same question as above for ISO 400

Is MPIX considered the best online company for processing 35mm color?

Thank you for your early indulgence. Hopefully I will be able to upload some samples soon! I will be thrilled to shoot this classic!

~ Bernard

Last edited by BernardMarx; 06-12-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Photo added
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #2

Great camera there, I really love the feel and action of the Spotmatic series.
Best of luck with the film. But as you say you are new to film, don't be disappointed if the results aren't quite as you wanted them first time - just appreciate them for how they are. But I'm sure you knew that anyway!

Hope to see the results.
06-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Spongefingers. I won't be disappointed; I'm in it for the voyage. I'll post my out-of-focus, grainy, and over-exposed as soon as I get some! May they be, at least, a welcome departure.

~ Bernard
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BernardMarx Quote
I'm now a Pentaxian!
Welcome!

I just purchased a pristine ES with attached Takumar SMC 50mm 1.4.
Nice choice. Good camera. Do you have a manual? http://www3.xitek.com/catalog/pentax/pentax-pdf/pentax-es.pdf

(I already own a super-multi-coated 135/3.5 (which is a lovely lens) and a Supter-Takumar 200/4 - both of which I have been using on my Canon 40d).
Great kit to start with. Don't miss out on wider. I love the 28mm f/3.5. These are relatively plentiful and quite nice. The 35mm f/3.5 is not slouch either.

For my ES I am leaning toward the L28 battery (lithium) - is there reasonable consensus that this is best?
I'd tend to go original IAAP.

Original was an Everready 544 (Silver), AKA S28PX. Don't use an alkaline version of this cell. S28PX, Electronics, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com

What are the top 5 preferred ISO 100 non-slide color films?
1. Fuji Reala
2. Fuji Reala
3. Fuji Reala
4. Fuji Reala
5. Fuji Reala

Seriously though. Reala.

Same question as above for ISO 400
I have not found one lately to replace a type no longer in production. I will be interested to see the answers here.

Thank you for your early indulgence. Hopefully I will be able to upload some samples soon! I will be thrilled to shoot this classic!
We look forward to your material too! Take your time. It will repay you many time over.

woof!

06-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice setup!
06-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #6

Welcome to Pentax, the Pentaxforums, and the Film forum!

Nice find on the ES. I'm soon to get one of my own--I can't wait! That's a great setup of lenses you've got too.

As for the film, Fuji Reala's really good. Really, really good. Kodak Ektar's good stuff too. Both seriously look like slides when well exposed/developed/scanned/printed/etc, and I mean that in the best possible way. Amazing color and sharpness, and extremely fine-grained.

Not to sure on the 400, but I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with black and white. It's really fun, beautiful stuff. Which brings me to another point: good grain is pretty
06-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're new to film, then don't start right off with the "best" film. Grab at least a couple or three rolls of bargain-bin store-brand cheapo stuff. Sometimes people who have never loaded film before end up inadvertently assing up the first roll during the loading/unloading process anyway, so there's no need to pay extra for that roll.

And you may be surprised to find out that cheap film has its own certain charm....and even further surprised to find out that it can provide very respectable results.

But, yeah.....Reala Reala Reala.

06-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
You came to the right place!
06-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

1. Fuji Reala
2. Fuji Reala
3. Fuji Reala
4. Fuji Reala
5. Fuji Reala

Seriously though. Reala.
Reala is great, but I will add a small pitch for the guys in Rochester...

Kodak Ektar 100

Steve

(Loves the Ektar fine grain...)
06-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Welcome! Nice choice. Good camera. Do you have a manual? http://www3.xitek.com/catalog/pentax/pentax-pdf/pentax-es.pdf
-- Yes I do - and thanks!

Great kit to start with. Don't miss out on wider. I love the 28mm f/3.5. These are relatively plentiful and quite nice. The 35mm f/3.5 is not slouch either.
-- Agreed. I would like to own the 28mm and don't really think I need the 4/200.

I'd tend to go original IAAP.

Original was an Everready 544 (Silver), AKA S28PX. Don't use an alkaline version of this cell. S28PX, Electronics, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com
-- Good to know - thanks.

Seriously though. Reala.
-- I'll see if Target has this in stock today. I ordered some Ektar but it hasn't arrived yet.
06-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
geauxpez:
--Thanks for the welcome!

Stevopedia:
--I ordered some Ektar but it isn't in yet. I'll look for some REALA today though.

Mike Cash:
--Hopefully I won't fall victem! I will be armed with a couple of "how to load film" videos courtesy of youtube.

jgredline:
-- Thanks for the welcome!

stevebrot:
-- Kodak Ektar 100... is in post.
06-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I quite agree with Mike Cash for first time film camera use. It also can be a good idea to do so to see how well the camera and lenses work, before jumping up to quality film for your shots. You may be pleasantly surprised how good that film looks.