Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What focal length lenses and shutter speeds are giving you unsharp photos?

Chris

06-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2 body weighs in at 680 grams and has mirror lockup which makes it the heaviest K mount with exception to the K2 DMD which is 5 grams heavier. The ME Super and SuperProgram and MX can all be fitted with a winder that would add some weight to them. I'm thinking that the ME Super may be a good option in that regard due to the viewfinder. The MX is cool in that it has interchangeable lenses but it is a different beast than the other M series.
06-15-2009, 01:44 AM   #18
Banned

the LX weighs 570g the winder weighs 285(I assume this is with batteries) so you have a combined weight of 855g ad a little more for the optional grip and you have a heavy camera.

the MX weighs 495g the winder weighs 305g (again I assume this is with batteries) so you have a total weight of 800g.

both are now heavier than an F3 and also include 2fps film advance.

points to consider for the LX:

interchangeable finders
IDM metering system (off-the-film)
AE operation w/ exposure compensation
weather sealing (obviously you should be cautious given its age)
MLU

if none of these are strictly important or otherwise wanted/needed then the MX would be an excellent choice as it can be found more readily, (for both bodies and accessories) its cheaper (including cost of a CLA) and of course much smaller and lighter for when that can be handy.
06-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks again guys.
Sounds like I am getting either LX or MX with winder. Although I like my little ME Super its mirror slap is very pronounced compared to others. I know it's not fair to compare ME Super with Nikon F3 or other Pro cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
What focal length lenses and shutter speeds are giving you unsharp photos?

Chris
I am using a wide range of FL's and because the vibration I had to use faster shatter speed which limits usability of the camera. That's all.

06-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on your photos I see you have no problem handholding your Spotmatic.
I recommend any of the Pentax K series cameras (KM, KX, K2, K2DMD and K1000).
They are near identical in size to your Spotmatic.

Chris
06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both the MX and the LX, both with winders. Each I find heavy enough to feel solid; I've never noticed problems with mirror slap. A couple of observations gleaned from usage:

The MX as you probably know lacks mirror lockup. I've not found a problem with this using a reasonably sized tripod, a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001. With the winder it is a real pleasure to use, since the winder forms a handle on the right with shutter release on top. It is a two stage release, turn on the meter and then further to fire. The meter stage is easy to feel. The meter is good; centerweighted and pretty sensitive.

The LX is a horse of a different color. It has metering capabilities of several minutes with a f2.0 lens at EI 200. Metering off the film during exposure, and flash control the same way. Marvelous. Mirror lockup. The winder is 2 frames per second, as is that of the MX. The LX winder also has power rewind.

A couple minuses. While the aperature preferred auto exposure is quite good, Pentax omitted a way to hold the exposure. This is irritating! When using the winder it is extremely difficult to check the exposure before releasing the shutter. I don't know why these quirks weren't addressed during the LX's long production run.

Either is old enough to be likely to need a servicing, and parts are running out. I'm sure you'd enjoy either. Either the MX or the LX is built to a higher standard than the ME's since they were intended for pro usage.

Good luck!
06-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
When using the winder it is extremely difficult to check the exposure before releasing the shutter. I don't know why these quirks weren't addressed during the LX's long production run.!
This has always baffled me too. You have to use the secondary meter button
(on the viewfinder release lever) to operate the meter. What were they thinking?

06-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #23

Original Poster
cheers all,
I am hiding and ready to snipe anything that comes along .. LX, MX, K2 ...
06-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey Jimby -

Secondary meter button! Somehow I missed that in the instruction book. I'll give it a try. But why didn't they follow the lead of their own MX winder? One of life's little mysteries, I guess. Thanks for the info!