Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Heaviest Pentax Camera

Well, my ME Super is too small and light that camera shake is an issue.
Since I have a heaps of M42 lenses and M42->PK adapter I want to stay with Pentax. I also have a Spotmatic so K mount camera would be good but not necessary.
I am used to Nikkon F3 so I want something that heavy.
I am looking at MX or LX. Are they heavy and not vibrating when mirror kicks up?

06-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eSFotos Quote
Well, my ME Super is too small and light that camera shake is an issue.
Since I have a heaps of M42 lenses and M42->PK adapter I want to stay with Pentax. I also have a Spotmatic so K mount camera would be good but not necessary.
I am used to Nikkon F3 so I want something that heavy.
I am looking at MX or LX. Are they heavy and not vibrating when mirror kicks up?
I dont know what the F3's mirror movement is like. nor the LX's so I cant really compare. the MX's is certainly pronounced but I have never noticed it to cause unecessary vibrations.

ME super 440g
MX 495g
LX 570g
nikon F3 715g

Pentax has always been known for its small lightweight bodies. there isn't a single K mount body that equals the F3 in weight. I cant say for sure, but I highly doubt any of the screwmounts will either... except maybe the ES/ESII but I highly doubt it. the heaviest K mount camera is the K2DMD at 685g. but good luck finding one of those.

in fact, to equal the F3 you would have to buy a K20D
06-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered adding a motor drive to the ME Super even if it's just turned off? That would be an inexpensive solution that would probably also improve handling. You could always replace the batteries with lead ingots!

After shooting the LX a bit, I almost think that my Spotmatic has less mirror slap.
06-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've owned both F3 and LX. The LX is not as heavy as the F3, but the mirror damping is about on par.
All the Pentax cameras that I've used have problems in the 1/8-1/30 second range with mirror slap, the Super Program is the worst, the LX is the best (very little to no problems depending on the condition of the mirror mechanism).

06-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...K mount camera would be good but not necessary.
I am used to Nikkon F3 so I want something that heavy...
My heaviest camera body is my Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL. It is a real tank at 725gm and uses M42 lenses.

Steve
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Hi, have you considered putting some dampening material on it ? The great thing about adding your own dampening mass is that you can put it where you want it.

I shoot mostly available light, so that means the flash hot shoe and bottom are available. You could also put some on the lens if you are careful.

Materials like lead and cast iron are both damping and massive. Materials like steel are massive, but offer little damping by themselves. Aluminum is neither. Rubber can be highly damping and moderate mass.

The ideal setup for damping is to have layers of high mass (steel for instance) separated by layers of something springy, like rubber. If the layers are not equal size / thickness, it is even better, as each layer will dampen a different frequency range.

Just some crazy ideas to throw into the mix.
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Body Mass

I use a KX and a Spotmatic F for film and the mass is a side benefit for just this reason. The KX is 631g and has the mirror lock up feature (useful on a tripod).

I've always found the M cameras too small for my large hands
06-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Since you didn't specify what format you were aiming for, might I recommend the Pentax 67? I am am pretty sure it beats all the other "scores" with room to spare.

06-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Since you didn't specify what format you were aiming for, might I recommend the Pentax 67? I am am pretty sure it beats all the other "scores" with room to spare.
Read OP's post.

"... my ME Super is too small and light that camera shake is an issue... I have a heaps of M42 lenses and M42->PK adapter I want to stay with Pentax...
I am used to Nikkon F3 so I want something that heavy. I am looking at MX or LX. Are they heavy and not vibrating when mirror kicks up?"
06-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
You guys rock.
Great recommendations.
I've never thought about adding weight to ME Super. MD would be ideal.
I will either get the MD for MES or get LX or get both - good reason to get another cam.
06-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Heaviest? Hmmm, how about this...

Don't mistake a camera's weight with a camera's ability to control mirror shock. The 6x7 is heavy but does suffer from mirror slap.
Same for 35mm film cameras. The newer cameras dampen mirror slap better imo. Perhaps an LX?

Last edited by creampuff; 06-13-2009 at 05:47 PM.
06-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Not sure if it's the size or weight, but like Paul I find the full-size Pentax bodies easier to hold steady.

Chris
06-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Don't mistake a camera's weight with a camera's ability to control mirror shock. The 6x7 is heavy but does suffer from mirror slap.
Same for 35mm film cameras. The newer cameras dampen mirror slap better imo. Perhaps an LX?
I concur. But given the same mirror shock the heavier camera will damp the shock better. I guess what I really want is a 35mm pentax film camera that has best mirror slap dampen system.
06-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #14
Banned

I concur. But given the same mirror shock the heavier camera will damp the shock better. I guess what I really want is a 35mm pentax film camera that has best mirror slap dampen system.
LX. then get yourself a winder and optional grip. that should give you the weight, and the best pentax 35mm.
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Or you could just get a model that supports MLU.