Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
auto/man switch question

Hello all,

I have received a very warm welcome here and I thank you. I will respond more fully as soon as I get a chance. I just logged in to ask a quick question.

I just received my Pentax ES along with the SMC Tak 50mm 1.4. I noticed that I couldn't move the auto/man switch (it is currently in manual position). I know there is a small pin inside which must be depressed to move the switch. I put the lens onto a m42 adapter and the switch moved back and forth freely. I also put another SMC lens on the ES and found I couldn't move its man/auto switch.

Is it possible that I am not installing the lens correctly? Surely the camera should depress the pin allowing me to set my lens to auto mode... isn't that the purpose of having a TTL capable camera?

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Edit to add: I did manage to push the pin in (with my fingernail) and slide the switch so that AUTO is covered (which I suppose is selecting auto mode which, again, is what I want). Still, I would guess that the ES should be depressing this pin...

~ Bernard

Last edited by BernardMarx; 06-13-2009 at 04:25 PM.
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BernardMarx Quote
I just received my Pentax ES along with the SMC Tak 50mm 1.4. I noticed that I couldn't move the auto/man switch (it is currently in manual position). I know there is a small pin inside which must be depressed to move the switch. I put the lens onto a m42 adapter and the switch moved back and forth freely. I also put another SMC lens on the ES and found I couldn't move its man/auto switch.
The short answer: this is the correct state of affairs. the auto/manual switch is disabled on bodies that have open aperture metering.

To preview DOF, press the metering/stop down switch to the up position. This will stop the lens down.

woof
06-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh thanks woof - that is good to know. And so I am assuming that the current state of the switch makes absolutely no difference at all then - right? And further, that the auto/man switch has nothing to do with the ES's ability to TTL with the TAK (i.e. allow for aperture priority shooting)?

Thanks again man - I appreciate the support!

~ Bernard
06-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Oh thanks woof - that is good to know. And so I am assuming that the current state of the switch makes absolutely no difference at all then - right? And further, that the auto/man switch has nothing to do with the ES's ability to TTL with the TAK (i.e. allow for aperture priority shooting)?
You did say the switch was in the manual position didn't you? With the meter switch in the off position (down), when you change the aperture on the lens, it should stay wide open... does it do so? I assume that it does. The state of the switch should make no difference.

Can you switch it to auto on another body or by depressing the small pin (or screwing a lens cap onto the lens)? Does it stay in auto when it is placed back on the camera? I am sure it does. Either way it should work correctly.

The Auto/Man switch has nothing to do with ES open aperture metering OR with aperture priority shooting. It was in effect "removed" from service for this body and any other open aperture body.

Seaain

06-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again Seaain.

I can move the auto/man switch by depressing the pin with a finger nail. I have set it to manual and will leave it there since it makes no difference. Going to load some fim this morning and see what happens.

~ Bernard
06-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hello?! I think this is a bit backwards. Think about it. Manual on the lens means the aperture pin is disabled, as stopping the lens down immediately closes the aperture. Auto means the aperture pin is enabled, the lens remains at open aperture till either the camera's aperture lever pushes the pin in.

On the ES-II, when I mount a SMC lens, it locks the lens on AUTO. If the lens is on Manual, I can move it to Auto but not out of Auto.

Seaain, I'm afraid you got this one a bit garbled: the Auto/Manual has everything to do with how the ES operates
06-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Hello?! I think this is a bit backwards. Think about it. Manual on the lens means the aperture pin is disabled, as stopping the lens down immediately closes the aperture. Auto means the aperture pin is enabled, the lens remains at open aperture till either the camera's aperture lever pushes the pin in.

On the ES-II, when I mount a SMC lens, it locks the lens on AUTO. If the lens is on Manual, I can move it to Auto but not out of Auto.

Seaain, I'm afraid you got this one a bit garbled: the Auto/Manual has everything to do with how the ES operates
hmmm. I just shot my first (cheep) roll - the lens was locked on manual the whole time. I am assuming that whichever word [man or auto] is covered is the one selected - right?

I will move the lever so that it is covering the word auto and shoot another roll. But that would beg the original question... if the lens should be on auto, why doesn't my ES engage the pin that would set the lens to auto?

06-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Note that when I mount my SMC lens on the ES while it is on manual, I cannot move it to auto... I cannot move it all.
06-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Note that when I mount my SMC lens on the ES while it is on manual, I cannot move it to auto... I cannot move it all.
Maybe I have something backwards myself. I just moved the lens' switch so that the word auto was covered. I mounted the lens. I could then move the switch so that the word MAN was covered... and then could no longer move it again.

It seems that maybe the word that is readable (not covered by the switch) is the selected setting. And my ES will ONLY allow the AUTO setting.
06-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

It seems that maybe the word that is readable (not covered by the switch) is the selected setting. And my ES will ONLY allow the AUTO setting.
That's correct. The word you can see on the lens is the setting of the lens.

CW
06-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Inactive Account

That is correct. The open aperture metering bodies should lock the lens on Auto. it seems like that is what your body is doing, so that is good. The reason I asked you to change the setting before was that Manual would not have been where you wanted it set and I thought that if it was somehow not working correctly, at least you could set the lens as it was intended to work.

Glad that's sorted. It seems from context that you probably shot the roll of film with the switch set to "Auto" then?

woof
06-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh I see what happened - the clash of the pre and post internet/mouse worlds.... now we're used to clicking on our selection...
06-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Aha! So all is good and I am a happy camper! And as it turns out, I shot my first roll of film on auto (though I didn't realize I was doing so).

Thank you all for the support. Hopefully I can pay that forward some day.

I shot cheep film and will likely have it processed by wallymart just to see what happened. I'll keep ya posted.

cheers,
~ Bernard
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Aha! So all is good and I am a happy camper! And as it turns out, I shot my first roll of film on auto (though I didn't realize I was doing so).

Thank you all for the support. Hopefully I can pay that forward some day.

I shot cheep film and will likely have it processed by wallymart just to see what happened. I'll keep ya posted.
Bernard... post some photos. We'd all love to see some stuff from your new camera.

woof!
06-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Jesus used this parable to teach the disciples about the Takumar's auto/manual switch:

Two brothers from the deep backwoods, both entirely ignorant of the world, got called up by their draft boards and were placed aboard a train bound for an induction center in a distant city. It was the first time for either to ride a train. The brothers both purchased a box lunch to take with them and the box lunches each included a banana, a novel fruit they had heard of but never before seen.

The train rolled along clickety-clack, clickety-clack, clickety clack and the two young men marveled at the many new and wonderful scenes that passed by their window. Around noon the two contentedly munched their lunches. Having finished the contents of the box faster than his younger brother, the elder of the two eagerly peeled back the skin of the banana and took a bite...just as the train entered into a tunnel.

"Did you take a bite of your banana yet?", he asked his kid brother.

"No."

"Well, don't! I took one bite and went blind!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way you would know the lens was in manual would be that every time you set the aperture ring to a small aperture your viewfinder would go dark.