Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Film cover on my ME-Super keeps popping open

I found a thread here that discussed this issue, but I can't seem to get the cover to stay closed. It definitely pops open when I put pressure on the opposite side from the latch--so if I grab the hinge side, it pops the latch. Any help would be very much appreciated.

06-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the same problem and it took my having to bend the latch slightly with a screwdriver and problem fixed. For me atleast.
06-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I had the same problem and it took my having to bend the latch slightly with a screwdriver and problem fixed. For me atleast.
Thanks. Which direction did you have to bend the latch? I've tried bending the lid itself, and at least I was able to get it closed then, which I hadn't been able to for awhile---but even though it now closes, it pops open if I place pressure on the the hinge side--which I often do when I pick up the camera one-handed. That's pretty frustrating to realize you just lost some good shots.
06-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, Blue. I'll have to look into doing that if I can't get the latch to close properly.

06-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This is exactly what was happening to me. Stopped using my ME-Super for a while, but then tinkered with it and fixed it yesterday.

Lemme guess: it was popping open at the slightest provocation when there was film in it, but not when it was unloaded, right?

Open the camera, and look at the filmplate - the black rectangle, on springy metal legs. It holds the film behind the shutter flat. Chances are the backplate has had these legs stretched out, putting more pressure on the camera back, causing it to pop open.

Looking at it in front of you, camera sitting up right, take note of the corners. On the top-left, top-right and bottom-left, the spring legs are slotted horizontally onto little mushroom-shaped knobs. Sorry, I can't make that sound more family-friendly.

The bottom-right one, however, slots on vertically, thus locking the plate into position.

Now, pull up the left side (your left, remember) of the film plate, thus sliding the legs out from under the knobs. Then tilt the filmplate down, causing it to swivel on the bottom-right knob and thus sliding the top-right leg out from under the knob. Then, just slide the bottom-right one out.

You may have to work things out, bending the legs a bit. Use a pencil or a screwdriver.

Chances are you've made the legs longer, making the problem worse if you were put it back on now. But we're not gonna do that.

See, wedge a pencil or something under each pair of legs. Now, bend 'em back towards the film plate, thus making them effectively shorter.

Now, fit it back onto the camera back, and away you go. Hopefully it should've lowered the pressure the filmplate's putting on the camera body, and it now not pop open at the drop of a hat. Might take some trial and error to get this right.

Their you go. Hope that helps.
06-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
This is exactly what was happening to me. Stopped using my ME-Super for a while, but then tinkered with it and fixed it yesterday.

Lemme guess: it was popping open at the slightest provocation when there was film in it, but not when it was unloaded, right?
Thanks for the great explanation, lithos. Mine has gotten to the point where it won't even stay closed when there's no film in it. I'm going to take a look at the film plate, when I've got some extra time on my hands, and see if that's the culprit.
06-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasatch Rebel Quote
Thanks, Blue. I'll have to look into doing that if I can't get the latch to close properly.
Disregard my post. It was for the battery door.

06-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Did you replace the light seals? Solved the problem for me!
06-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had this happen on mine years ago. The latch on the door had worn down and this caused the door to pop open when film was in it. I bought a replacement door to replace the worn one. This was when they still had replacement parts for the camera. It has worked fine since. If the advice of others does not work long term, look into getting a donor part from a old damaged camera that has a less worn door on it.
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianVald Quote
Did you replace the light seals? Solved the problem for me!
What do I use to replace those?
06-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
I think I may have solved it. At least, it seems to be working now. There is another thread here somewhere that said that most people push in the center of the door to close it, and over time, the door gets bent. I had tried bending it the opposite direction after reading that post, but I guess I just didn't get it bent quite enough. After trying lithos plate solution with no good result, I decided to once again try bending the door in the opposite direction from what happens when you press on the center of the door to close it. So far, so good.