Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodak Ektar 25 & Agfa Ultra 50

I've stumbled into a bunch of frozen film from the mid-1990s, about twenty rolls of Ektar 25 and 6 of the Agfa. Anybody have any experience with either of these? Like them? Hate them? Any tips or tricks?

My preference in color films is for reversal, mainly Velvia & Provia, although I've used some Portra 160VC, which was OK but not spectacular.

06-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never even heard of Ektar 25.
06-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The best qualities of Ektar 25 (it morphed into Royal Gold 25 just before they killed it) are pretty much wasted now. It's real claim to fame was it grainlessness.
Unfortunately, this isn't apparent in scanning and printing, so now it's just a slow print film with fairly neutral colour.

Back in it's day, I was hired to do some promotional pictures for a local company that were going to be made into 40x60 inch prints for display. i used Ektar 25/120 in the 6x7. The resulting prints were grainless.
It was a truly amazing film.

Agfa Ultra 50 was the Velvia of print films, albeit without the really fine grain. Very punchy, very saturated colour pallette with rather low exposure latitude is this films characterisitic.
I never had a lot of use for it as I prefer a less in your face image.
It doesn't really do well as a people film.
06-18-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ektar 25

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The best qualities of Ektar 25 (it morphed into Royal Gold 25 just before they killed it) are pretty much wasted now. It's real claim to fame was it grainlessness.
Unfortunately, this isn't apparent in scanning and printing, so now it's just a slow print film with fairly neutral colour.
Wheatfield, why isn't the grainlessness apparent while scanning? Wouldn't it actually help make for a better quality scan?

Buffy

06-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
Wheatfield, why isn't the grainlessness apparent while scanning? Wouldn't it actually help make for a better quality scan?

Buffy
If you are doing a really high resolution drum scan, it will scan at much higher resolution but typical low res consumer scanners aren't scanning at a high enough ppi to make much of a difference.
06-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No experience with the Agfa but Ektar 25 is a wonderful fine grain emulsion. C-41 process so processing is readily available. Like the current Ektar, this is better for landscapes than for skintones. Dave