Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
what to expect from frozen, 13 year expired E6 film?

My dad gave me 10 rolls of various expired Kodak 120 slide film. It's all been stored in a freezer and it all expired in 1995. What should I expect from this stuff? Never experimented with expired film.

06-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It won't be as new, but it should be OK. Try a roll. My guess is it will be slightly blue and slightly dark if you expose it at it's marked ISO.
06-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I suspect that there won't be that much of difference comparing to new films.
06-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it has been deep frozen I would sacrifice 1 roll and test the EI.
Shoot at the nomial ISO, and then over expose +1/2 and +1

Maybe some color shift would be present as well as Wheatfeild says

06-19-2009, 03:09 AM   #5

It will work, but I agree with the others - there probably will be a slight colour cast. You may be able to correct this to a certain extent if you scan the negatives...?

I say try one, then if you don't like what you get, sell it on. Some people are really into expired film, it's like a fetish.
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Frozen... I would expect that you don't see that much difference. I have not shot with that old E6 films but from the 3-4 year old films I've shot I couldn't see the difference to a new film.

Also recently developed a Tmax 400 expired in 1992 that looked very good but I don't know if B&W suffer less from age, at least they don't have the problem of colour shift...
06-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some years ago the story I heard was that film manufacturers would produce a large batch of films then frozen them till released to the public. The expiry date depends not on the manufacturing date, but the date taken from the freezer. Whether this story was real or not I have no idea.

06-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I think I'll be quite fine, maybe a bit darker than usual and softer colours but just o.k.
I'm using a Kodak Gold 200, in my ME Super, that expired (my dad thinks) in 1992 or so.. never kept in freezer.. so I don't know..
but i think these dates of expiration is more like a date of guidance and a refeance to a "best before" date, rather than an expiration date..