Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

MZ 5 : Built in Flash repair

Hi,

I have bought an old MZ-5 from around 20 € , and everything seems to work well (I will see It when I will develop my photos). But the spring of the built-in flash seems to no operate, I think it's a common problem, I nnne to press the button an catch the Flash manually and block it in vertical position.
Somebody knows how to repair that, I don't want to send it to Pentax repair service due to te price of the Camera

Sorry for my poor english

06-20-2009, 04:01 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by litbos Quote
Hi,

I have bought an old MZ-5 from around 20 € , But the spring of the built-in flash seems to no operate,
Somebody knows how to repair that, I don't want to send it to Pentax repair service due to te price of the Camera
I had the same problem:

This is how I solved it, with metal and glue :

George
06-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice. Any more info? more pics?

I have had 3 ZX-5's and 2 had the same issue. I do have 1 now that the flash stays up..but it may be just a matter of time. It's one of just a couple of flaws in what otherwise is an almost perfect camera.
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I happy to know that's a common problem.

Do you have more photos that show how to access to this broken part and I don't understand what you have used to replace it.

Thanks for your precious help

06-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by litbos Quote
Hi,

Do you have more photos that show how to access to this broken part and I don't understand what you have used to replace it.
I did not make more pictures, but taking of the top cover is not that difficult, just use a fitting screwdriver (and tweezers), and finding out where they hide the screws.

The metal part is hollow and fits over the broken part and has diameter smaller than the spring.
I just glued it (2 component epoxy) over the plastic remains after 'reshaping' it a bit.

The top cover is held in place by screws:

two near the eyepiece
one near the 'spot AF' button and strap lug, accesable when the back is open
one in the battery compartment
one near the bayonet
one between the N and T from 'PENTAX'
and one near the other strap lug

You also have to take apart the flash housing, 4 small screws.
MAKE SURE YOU DID NOT USE THE CAMERA FOR A LONG TIME, or prepare to be zapped by the remaining flash voltage !

To access the broken part, you also have to take apart the popup locking mechanism, it blocks access to the screw in the third picture which holds the broken part in place.

Also, my pictures show the inside of a MZ-50, which was dead, but had a working pop-up flash.
I wanted to repair a MZ-5 with its parts, but the MZ-50 part was almost broken, so I had to do something else.

When the plastic part is broken completely, the remains (plastic and spring) end up somewhere inside the camera, potentionally blocking something.
Make sure that at least the spring comes out !

Good luck with the repairs.

George
01-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bump. Found it. Think it could use some of that fancy new rating stuff, too, it's a good one.
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #7

Thanks for pictures MZ-50

Hi George.

I have just aquired an MZ-50 with the( lack-of) pop-up flash.

I do intend taking it apart, andt your pictures have enabled me to be prepared with a cunning plan.

Cheers

John

03-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For all those interested in taking the camera apart, there are 2 threads on this.
I suggest you read up on this as there is almost a step by step instruction.
You only need to follow the instruction on how to take apart the housing and need not go to the desoldering of the wires to replace the shutter mirror motor.
The posts are excellent material once the shutter motor plastic gear splits too and you have to replace it.
Here are the links: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/39450-mz5n-mir...ce-manual.html

Here's the other one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/54794-looking-...n-mz-50-a.html

I hope this helps.
I was able to replace the motor on my ZX-5n due to these posts.
09-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #9

Trying to get the spring in place I broke the plastic part.
Now I fully understand how glasbak did it. He replaced the broken plastic with a metal cylinder glued to the plastic base. This must be the best solution.
Maybe in the future someone could make an exact replacement part with a 3D printer.
In my opinion, is not worth trying to fix this problem in a MZ-50.
Thank you

Last edited by sonbou; 09-30-2013 at 01:54 AM.
09-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting and helpful !! the plastic lug on one side of the flash was broken when I was given the MZ-5 -- I hold up the flash with a finger if I want to use it !
02-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

Thanks to this Thread, I fix my Flash as well!

Finally, It's works with no idea why a screw still out of the body
07-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #12

Nice work, Terzof. But how did you determine how to install the slotted shaft so the spring would have the right tension? I used aluminum tubing to fix mine, and I thought I had the slot positioned correctly, but after the epoxy set I found that the spring didn't have the right tension. The flash pops up, but not to the correct height.
04-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #13

I know, a bit of an old thread but -

If you use a metal tube you need one with an outside diameter of about 3mm. I tried a tube with an inside diameter of about 3mm. The spring would just fit on the tube but doesn't have enough room to compress properly to fit with the arm on the stop.

K&S Precision Metals has tubes with an inside diameter of 3/32 inch or 2mm that outside diameters of 2.74mm and 2.45mm respectively. Aluminum, brass, copper or stainless steel. You can find these at many hardware or crafts and hobby stores.

US Camera has the genuine part but it will eventually break again.

Edit: Okay, it seems the arm on my spring is shorter than the one pictured above - it does not have the elbow and extension. This means it doesn't rest securely on the ridge that it makes contact with unless the fingers are there to press the spring towards the wall. Since the K&S tubes telescope one solution would be to get the next larger tube and make a cap to press the spring against the wall. The other solution would be just build up the ridge which is what I'm going to try doing first.

So maybe a smaller diameter tube is not needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
I thought I had the slot positioned correctly, but after the epoxy set I found that the spring didn't have the right tension. The flash pops up, but not to the correct height.
The notch is perpendicular to the flat sides on the flash arm side of the pivot. Perhaps you didn't install the spring in the proper position?

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-12-2015 at 08:32 AM.
04-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

Fantastic replies to this question. I fixed mine by buying an MZ-5 off ebay which had a non-functioning shutter (ie really cheap) and just took the part off that. Of course it still has the potential to break because it's a plastic part, but so far so good, and it's probably easier to do this than make the part. The broken camera also came in useful when I scratched the viewfinder on my working copy - I replaced that too. Good luck. Repairing stuff is time consuming but very rewarding if you manage it.
04-12-2015, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #15

UScamera has the pivot in stock. With shipping in the US it will cost you about $12.

You could leave the flash up as much as possible as this will lower some of the force put on the pivot - not much but a little. That might make the part last longer.

This appears to be a very common problem so odds are a parts body may have the same problem.

According to USCamera the mirror motor assembly is no longer available so if you get the mirror problem you'll have to buy a replacement pinion gear from a third party. Info in posts linked above.