Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #1

k1000 mirror stuck with pentax-A Lens

Hi

Last week i bought a pentax k1000 camera it came with a macro lens, a tokina sd 28-70 mm, it works perfectly with that lens. But yesterday my cousin gave a pentax-A 50 mm lens, i tried to use it with my camera, it fits but after i wind the film to take a shot when i look throu the viewfinder everything looks black, i removed the lens and the mirror stayed up and it came down after i press the shutter. That doesn't happens with the tokina, at first i was thinking it was a lens problem, but my cousin says the problem is at the camera.

I hope I explanined that right, some knows what could be the problem?. Thanks.

06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you reproduce it with the 50mm each time?
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess would be the foam seals are going and the mirror is getting stuck. The foam gets sticky when it breaks down. 'A' series lenses can work fine on any K mount camera.
06-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for replying.

Yes i can reproduce this problem every time i use the camera with the 50 mm lens. The only way it works is using a lower speed like 8 or a 4. And with the tokina lens works perfectly any time.

My cousin notice something that is that the tokina lens doesn't have the dynamic aperture coupler

And the pentax lens does have it

He told me that maybe taking out than coupler it might work, but i don't know if that's true or even worse, i don't know if that might damage the lens.

About the mirror getting stuck i don't think is the foam, because if i use the camera with the tokina lens or without lens it doesn't get stuck only with the pentax lens. I think the coupler besides the mirror is the one that gets stuck.

What can it be?

Last edited by mycroft; 06-22-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Images doesn't appear
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
Picture showing the differences

Here are the actual pictures of what i'm talking about, the first one is the tokina lens

and here's the picture of the pentax lens

I don't know if that lever is the one causing the problem. The part i was talking about near the mirror is this one on the picture

this part is the one that gets stuck with the mirror.

I hope that makes more clear my situation, thanks in advance.
06-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

From about 1985 up, the K1000 came with 50mm f2 A lenses. It shouldn't causing a problem. There could be a problem with the mirror and it just isn't enough of a problem to effect the non-A Tokina. Do you have another lens with an A capability to try and see if it does the same?
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
At the moment i don't have another lens to make any other tests, but in fact the tokina is an A lens and works well but it doesn't have the lever i mention earlier.

If is a mirror problem, can be fixed?

06-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If one lens causes a problem and another doesn't look at the lens, not the camera. Look carefully at what you are calling the aperture couple B. Odds are it is slightly bent and is jamming the aperture mechanism. The shutter won't fire until the lens is closed down, so if the mechanism is jammed, the entire exposure cycle is going to be interrupted.
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Wheatfield I think it's the lens. I have a similar problem with my K300/4 and I think the “aperture couple B pin” is bent.

My lens works fine if you mount it at f5.6 or f4, however if it's mounted at f8 or above and you press the shutter the mirror gets stuck up.

You need to unlock the lens and turn it about a half inch to cause the mirror to go down and the shutter to release. After that the lens works fine.

I can duplicate the issue on two KXs and a K2 and these bodies have no issues with the other lenses I own.

I'm going to send the lens to Eric to fix this and a couple other issues.
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter

since your Tokina is an A lens, I agree that it is likely the lens. Have you tried the 50mm with it off of the A setting?
06-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
I tried with the A setting on and off and i always get the same results. How can i know the coupling is bent, as i see it is ok, i can be wrong that's for sure.

So if the problem is the lens there's nothing i can do? How important is the "aperture coupler B".

Thanks for all of your answers.
06-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mycroft Quote
I tried with the A setting on and off and i always get the same results. How can i know the coupling is bent, as i see it is ok, i can be wrong that's for sure.

So if the problem is the lens there's nothing i can do? How important is the "aperture coupler B".

Thanks for all of your answers.
It makes it do the "A" thing. It could be bent or jammed internally. If you have experience disassembling lenses, you could look and see. The other option is to turn it into an M lens. Sense you are using it on a k1000, it is a moot point because this body can not take advantage of the A setting anyway. Just be sure to disclose this if you sell it to someone intending to use it as an A lens.
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
So to make it a M lense i have to remove or cut the "aperture coupler B", am i right?
06-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #14
clm

"Coupler A" lets the camera meter know the aperture value.
"Coupler B" holds the aperture open and lets it stop down when the shutter is fired. It should be present on both of your K-mount lens, including the latest DA lenses. Someone has removed it from the Tokina. When you move aperture ring of the Tokina to a higher number, does the viewfinder get dark? It's not supposed to.

I think your camera is not working properly.

Here is a link to more information:
Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount
06-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
clm

So to make it a M lense i have to remove or cut the "aperture coupler B", am i right?
No, that would make it a manual aperture lens.