Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I've checked any local stores for inventory and none. So I'll try to find some and join in. I haven't shot it in a few years and we'll see if digital has made me rusty (or lazy). I'll have to get the K1000 and Super Program checked and cleaned. Don't want to waste a frame with a bad meter!!
I have 4 rolls expired 2006 in the freezer with prepaid mailers that Chris Platt sold me - If you want one or two let me know. I'll use up whatever you don't, Peter.

Ah, the irony of my nick and Avatar.

06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would love to try it before it is gone. What does one do about getting it processed?
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I would love to try it before it is gone. What does one do about getting it processed?
Dwayne's is the only place in the world that still processes it (you can also order the film from them):
A trusted name in photo processing for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo
06-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Dewaynes is one of 2 places left to get 110 developed as well.

06-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably haven't shot Kodachrome for 45 years, back when as a poor teenager I realized that I could process Ektachrome myself. Anyone else remember the E-2 process? Reversal was accomplished by waving the loaded reel near a photoflood lamp! Really!

I've ordered five rolls from Freestyle in California. I thought I'd really have a blast from the past and shoot at least a few with my Kodak Retina IIIc. "...I got a Kodak Retina..." It even scans with the orginal Simon tune, as does Pentax, rather than Nikon camera.

I still have some Kodachrome slides my father shot in the late '30's. Most of them still look pretty good. Truly this is the end of an era. Lo, how the mighty have fallen!
07-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I just asked my local B&M which just moved into a new building if they had any K. 64. Here was the response:

QuoteQuote:
Sorry we don’t, I think ebay is your best bet

Good luck!

Brendan
07-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Heck Chris, I have a hard time shooting Kodak BW400CN and getting it to the lab for development - which is on the same block I live on!

If I'd get my hands on Kodachrome, i'd probably forget to send it for processing till AFTER they stop accepting film for developing!

07-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I just looked on ebay like my local B&M suggested. The prices outdated (some by decades) of K. 25, 40, 64 and 200 are going is absolutely shocking!

Dewayne's should be able to set aside some capital outlay to replace the 20% hole that will be created by the lose of Kodachrome.

It seems like this would be an opportunity for a niche manufacturer to get started with some of the best "defunct" emulsions.
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Freestyle just shipped 4 rolls of the professional Kodachrome to me on Friday. Now all I need is a chance to get out and shoot it. Hmmm, maybe a trip to Stone Mountain is in order.

CW
07-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I probably haven't shot Kodachrome for 45 years, back when as a poor teenager I realized that I could process Ektachrome myself. Anyone else remember the E-2 process? Reversal was accomplished by waving the loaded reel near a photoflood lamp! Really!
Ahh, memories! I never tried E-2, but started with E-6 in the '70s, which does the reversal chemically. I did have an old semi-automated bakelite developing tank which had a small door with a sight glass behind it that you could open to expose the film for reversal as you cranked it.
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Very tempting. I'm a little bored, and haven't done much color film in a long time, still longer since I was too interested in the Kodachrome look. Actually, I'm in a bit of a funk. I've got a friend that's got some on backorder: I might buy a roll off him when it comes.

Too bad there's no 120.
Four or five years ago I helped a relative clear out her late husband's darkroom and studio which included a college dorm fridge crammed full of 120 Kodachrome. There must have been 50 rolls with an expiration of 1992 if I remember correctly. She still had his Rolleiflex - that would have been a lot of fun. The best we could do though was donate the film to the local art school.

I shot a couple of rolls of the current Kodachrome while on vacation last year with nice results. I've had more difficulty with getting good scans and copies from my slides than I have from Velvia in the past. They look great through my Ektagraphic and on my screen though.

A couple of guys I know at work are thinking of joining me on a "last roll of Kodachrome" assignment. Waiting lists for Kodachrome. Amazing!
07-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #27

I just ordered 2 bricks of 10 for $340, i think i just crossed the thin line between filmfan and filmidiot
07-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dwayne's Photo in Kansas is the only lab on the planet still processing Kodachrome.
They stopped doing 120 several years ago, but will continue 35mm and cine processing through the end of 2010.

Chris
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #29

2 rolls down, 8 to go...

The Last 10 Rolls of Kodachrome - a set on Flickr
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mama Don't Take My Kodachrome

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Freestyle just shipped 4 rolls of the professional Kodachrome to me on Friday. Now all I need is a chance to get out and shoot it. Hmmm, maybe a trip to Stone Mountain is in order.

CW
Okay, Straightshooter! I ordered 5 rolls from Freestyle on June 25. I wonder where it is. Waaaah! I even played Paul Simon's Kodachrome last night to get in the mood. I'm ready to exercise that Retina IIIc!

BTW, Stone Mountain is okay, but give Arabia Mountain park in DeKalb county a try. The sunrise from there is spectacular!