Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Interesting... So Canon pulled an adobe pdf as well in the beginning eh?

Sony is pulling a similar move too with their DSLRs last year I guess.

07-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Aye. I think Nikon's now doing the same. Canon, of course, has far more money than any other camera manufacturer out there, because they don't just make cameras - scanners, printers, photocopiers...

I had an old journo lecturer at uni, who, when we were doing photography (sadly, it wasn't really counted towards our grades) was adamant that we should get a Canon DSLR if anyone was going to buy one, because Canon "offered deals and discounted packages for students."

I don't think they did at the time. If they did, they certainly wouldn't do it for a few text journo students who were sorta thinking about maybe, y'know, doing a bit of photography. If they did do it - and it was certainly never advertised - I doubt they'd let it go to people who weren't studying photography, if only to keep the prestige up.

I think she was still thinking of the loss-leading they did in the eighties, for the first EOS. She was probably there when the Canon reps started moochin' round. Or, more likely, when her editor came in and said, right, get rid of all the Nikons, you're using Canons from now on.
07-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pentax was at their height when the K series came out in 1975. The K series had all the features that Pentax had developed over the last 25 years and the new bayonet mount. When I got my first SLR (KX) in 1975, Canon & Nikon weren’t an option for me, the big thing was these new Pentax cameras.

Then in 1977 they decided their cameras/lenses should be smaller/lighter, because that’s what the consumer wanted. I sure didn’t at the time.

Then in the early to mid 1980’s they came out with some of their best equipment ever, the LX and A series lenses. That was a good run as Pentax bumped up the quality and
came up with some more technical advancements.

Unfortunately after that it was the plastic made in China stuff and it’s been downhill ever since. They started to sacrifice quality at that point, which was too bad. It sure turned me off Pentax after picking up a FA lens in the late 90’s. Even the camera store salesman was laughing when I told him I wanted a new lens for my KX, he said Pentax is nothing like it was back in the 70’s.
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the mid-1980's a non-photographer friend asked me to take a look at her brand new camera.
It was a Minolta Maxxum 7000. The minute I saw it I knew it would be a game-changer.
The AF boom sucked the quality of all brands of 35mm SLRs down to the level of point & shoot cameras.

Chris

07-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In the mid-1980's a non-photographer friend asked me to take a look at her brand new camera.
It was a Minolta Maxxum 7000. The minute I saw it I knew it would be a game-changer.
The AF boom sucked the quality of all brands of 35mm SLRs down to the level of point & shoot cameras.

Chris
And there are a lot of people out there that think the 5000 was the first AF camera on the market as a result.
07-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The M series was pretty much the last golden era for the Pentax K mount system. Sad.
07-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The M series was pretty much the last golden era for the Pentax K mount system. Sad.
that's debatable.

07-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that's debatable.
I do to. The SuperProgram was a good body. In fact, its comparable to an ME Super. I can't make the case for the AF bodies because I skipped them and went to the digital bodies although I have an MZ-3 on the way from KEH.
07-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Fun.

What is the camera next to the MX ?

So there's 6x7, MX, ME Super, 110, LX, and then one more
07-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Fun.

What is the camera next to the MX ?