Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1977 Pentax line up (Camera directory)

One of these days I'll scan the 1982 directory also...

07-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting that both the Spotmatic F and Spotmatic 1000 cost more than the KX, despite the improved meter on the KX. (Unless those are body only prices for the KX.)

Steve
07-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
Banned

man, the K2 was expensive... I wonder how much a K2DMD would have set you back?
07-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

look at the OM-2 price...

07-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Remember different brands offered varying degrees of discount off MSRP.
Street price of most brands was actually quite similar across the major brands for equivalent level models.
A look at some of the retailer ads Nesster has posted will reveal how much competition there really was.

The real trick was trying to get the camera store to actually honor the published discount price.
But that's another story...

Chris
07-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Street price of most brands was actually quite similar across the major brands for equivalent level models.
A look at some of the retailer ads Nesster has posted will reveal how much competition there really was.

The real trick was trying to get the camera store to actually honor the published discount price.

Chris
not at all that different from today then.
07-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think the spottie prices are with lens, while the K are body only.
07-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Oh, they would honor the price, though you had to be real careful to read the fine print. Very few bodies were sold without some sort of kit lens. The favorite "price dodge" was to bundle the body with an off-brand lens of similar specification. The second most popular was some sort of involuntary "up-sell/cross-sell" by shipping the camera with a case or flash that you did not order and then invoice for the additional items.

Boy was I surprised back in 1969 when I opened the package from Bass Camera (Chicago) to find a black body "professional finish" Ricoh Singlex TLS rather than the silver finish unit I had ordered. I was even more surprised to get a notice the next day saying that they took the liberty of sending me the upgrade knowing I would like it and would I please pay an additional $50 for it. To add insult to injury, the lens bundled with the camera was not a Rikenon. Instead, it was a Rexatar. Surprise! I went back to read the fine print...nowhere did they say what brand 50/1.7 would be shipped.

Needless to say, I did not send them a penny for the black body. Strangely, they never pursued payment either. I also decided to give the Rexatar a try rather than pay to ship everything back or pay an additional fee to upgrade the lens. The Rexatar proved to be a reasonable quality optic and the package provided me with more than a decade of good service.

Steve

07-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Oh, they would honor the price, though you had to be real careful to read the fine print. Very few bodies were sold without some sort of kit lens. The favorite "price dodge" was to bundle the body with an off-brand lens of similar specification.
Oh, that's still a very popular move with CRK down here in Aus...
07-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter

They also claim the SP 1000 is equivalent to the F except for the self timer and Super Tak f2 lens.