Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took the plunge PZ1p

After cutting my photography teeth on digital, I'd been wanting to get into film and start learning more. Put out feelers and a friend sent me a gift of a PZ1p. A little beat up, but functions fine, except for the pop up flash which is trashed, but for free I'm not complaining. Put my first roll of film through it the other day. Don't think I did too bad, but I know I have a LOT to learn and looking forward to this new road.

I am open to suggestions for a good general purpose color film and a good black and white film for prints.

All were taken with the above camera and a SMC Pentax K 50mm F1.4. Film was off the discount store shelf Kodak ultramax 400. Not a fan of the color rendition. wasn't real accurate, but I concede it may very well be me.

07-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and nice shots BTW.
07-08-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent start!
The PZ-1p was a terrific camera at the time (1990s) so all you need is lenses.
The 50/1.4 is a beautiful lens.... isn't it?

Check in Craigslist in your area, many times the MZ/ZX series cameras go for next to nothing and usually they have lenses attached to them that are worth the effort.
07-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Excellent start!

Check in Craigslist in your area, many times the MZ/ZX series cameras go for next to nothing and usually they have lenses attached to them that are worth the effort.
I have never had any luck with Craigslist in the D.C. area. People are always overpricing film cameras. Heck most ads for P&S cameras list prices at $50 or higher. A few reasonably priced cameras but for the most part, you would have thought that the ads were written in the mid-late 1990s based on what they want for their film stuff.

07-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was in California a coupleof weeks ago, and checking craiglsit I found an MZ-30 with 2 lenses for $30, and a SuperProgram + lenses for 75
thought those prices were very reasonable
07-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Excellent start!

nice thing here is the PZ-1/PZ-1p can use every lens including ones with no aperture coupling, and because it is TTL flash it can do everything including flash photography with old lenses.

It makes a great companion for a DSLR because you can even use your digital lenses on it (although some vignetting might happen) My sigma 10-20 is good from aboutr 13mm when shot on full frame, now that's wide.
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
I am open to suggestions for a good general purpose color film and a good black and white film for prints.
color: i like neutral color film PRO400H but it can be pricey. most people have a preference for either Kodak or Fuji entry 400 films
b+w: very personal choices but Tri-X, Neopan, HP5 all at ISO 400 are usually the main candidates
07-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Congrats. That body was on my AF short list. I only wanted 1 AF body to replace my 10s with. One of the things that had my interest was the interchangeable focus screens.

07-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IMO, the PZ-1P is the best SLR Pentax ever made. Nice choice. The pop-up flashes on these often had problems with the little spring that connected to the flash. When you push the button to pop it up, nothing will happen because the spring detaches. If the spring is still in there (usually still remains attached at the other end) you can try reattaching it with some small tweezers, but it's tough to do. You can always flick it up manually, and hold it up with your finger when shooting. It's not as tedious as it sounds, and it worked for me when my spring went.
07-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm having fun with this camera. Learning a lote more too and it has reparked my photography addiction.
07-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

These shots are lovely, congrats on the new cam. A regular workhorse of an SLR