Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #1

SF1 and the mirror....

Well, I was taking out my cameras to exercise them (too much sitting in the cabinet this year!) and testing the various functions. I was testing the electronic release cable on my SF1 and accidently switched to multiple frames with it locked. THe batteries in the camera were apparently low, because it got slower quickly before I unlocked and changed the drive mode. But, now the mirror is locked up and the camera just groans, and the advance rollers just kind of wiggle.

ANy hope?

05-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try to put out the batteries for a moment or longer. And then try fresh batteries. If it donīt work use your cleaned finger and try to draw it down.
05-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
I left it without batteries for 24 hours, same result: Power on, press the shutter, or the ML or the C or change mode, or try to 'rewind', it groans for a second, groans if I push a botton again. Like I said in the original post, the rollers act like they want to move but are stuck.. I already had tried pulling the mirror down, but it pops back up. It's klike the thing is stuck betwen frames....

Oh, and the film indicator and frame count are flashing, count is at 0.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited by firstegg; 05-03-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: left something out...
05-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The SF-1 is not one of the cameras I've worked on, but it does sound like its got out of sequence. Here's a couple of suggestions.

1. Do you have any of the optional focus screens installed? It may help to remove it.

2. I'm not sure which type of batteries you use, but make sure all battery terminals a very clean and bright.

3. Some Pentax camera can be resequenced just by tapping them in the right spot at the right time.

Let us know how you do and good luck.

05-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgmaley Quote
The SF-1 is not one of the cameras I've worked on, but it does sound like its got out of sequence. Here's a couple of suggestions.

1. Do you have any of the optional focus screens installed? It may help to remove it.

2. I'm not sure which type of batteries you use, but make sure all battery terminals a very clean and bright.

3. Some Pentax camera can be resequenced just by tapping them in the right spot at the right time.

Let us know how you do and good luck.
1. No, has the original focusing screen.
2. Cleaned all the terminals previously.
3. So, where should I be taping and when?

Is a drop on a hard surface too much? <grin>
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

A hard surface drop may not be enough. You may have to either fling it on a hard surface, like a football, or fill it full of WD-40 until it begins to run out. (Big grin).
Actually, at the point where the motor stalls, give it a moderate tap, on the camera bottom, with the palm of your hand.
These cameras don't like just sitting around. The lubricant dries out. Cycle them every couple of monthes. Don't leave batteries in a stored camera. This vintage of SLR uses a minute amount of current to hold your settings. It eventually runs the batteries down and they may leak.
I sat around for an eveninig cycling a new K1000 that had been stored for 30 years just to salvage it. Everything came back but the 50mm F2 lens iris ring. It adjusts but is stiff.
Check the prices at KEH.COM before you send it in. It may be less costly just to get another one.
Good luck
Dave....
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #7

if it's an SF1 and not an SF1-n then it might be just as well to try the football long bomb resequencing tap.

The best thing that ever happened to me with regards to the SF1 was my wife leaving it on the beach to rescue our kids when a big ferry went by. That salt water made for a quick insurance claim which got me the PZ1 and I got to keep the old camera for a toy for the kids. What a dog of a camera in my opinion.

Best of luck, I know others didn't loath that camera as much as I did, and it did have an ok feature set.

08-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #8

hi firstegg. I have exactly the same problem! Right down to the flashing indicator and frame count. Have you had any luck in fixing it? I'd love to get mine up and running again. It definitly has something to do with inactivity and a flat battery, as this has just happened to mine.
Let me know how you go and I'll keep searhing too
08-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I took my ME out shooting a while back in the cold weather and it locked. I popped the mirro back down but when I took another shot, it would get stuck again.

I popped in a fresh set of batteries and the camera returned to regular functioning. Try the FRESH/NEW batteries. May cure your problem.
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I took my ME out shooting a while back in the cold weather and it locked. I popped the mirro back down but when I took another shot, it would get stuck again.

I popped in a fresh set of batteries and the camera returned to regular functioning. Try the FRESH/NEW batteries. May cure your problem.

I dont think its the batteries as this is a brand new one in the camera. Its just stated happening since the last one went flat
08-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem with my SFXn (same as SF1n) a few times. I locked the mirror up and the shutter open. Switching it off and on solved things. I think it may be dust related. My SFXn was exposed to loads of dust during its 15 years of excellent service, but it did require 2 very extensive servicings, the latter one fixing the film transport that had blocked. The first sign of dust problems was always the shutter release refusing to make half contact for AF, and my resorting to MF for the remainder of the time before taking it in for a clean.

Hope you will get it running again. I always loved this camera!

Wim
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #12

So, is it more to do with the film transport than the shutter? Did you get it proffessionaly done, or do it yourself?