Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

*ist film version...do they exist?

I'm looking for the smallest and lightest possible Autofocus/autoexposure camera for my wife. A pentax would be great cause I could use my old Pentax lenses. I heard that the *ist film camera was a very small and light camera, but I can't find one anywhere. Even the auction sight doesn't have any.

Does anyone know anything about the *ist, is it a good camera, and are there any other very small-light cameras that would be good? I've heard the N75 was a very light camera but I don't know how small it is. A point-and-shoot could work too if it has a decent lens and focusing/metering system.

07-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they exist. I had a short list of 4 AF bodies and it was on it until I decided to go with the MZ-3.

Edit: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/ist/star_ist.html

Last edited by Blue; 07-06-2009 at 07:57 PM.
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

they don't come up very often. search the forums here for more information on it, some people really like it. for the ultimate small combination, the *ist + DA40 is ultra tiny.

if it doesn't have to be the *ist, i highly recommend the ZX-L (MZ-6) which has a few less functions, but the non-cripple K-mount for full compatibility with old lenses and is cheaper
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote
I'm looking for the smallest and lightest possible Autofocus/autoexposure camera for my wife. A pentax would be great cause I could use my old Pentax lenses. I heard that the *ist film camera was a very small and light camera, but I can't find one anywhere. Even the auction sight doesn't have any.

Does anyone know anything about the *ist, is it a good camera, and are there any other very small-light cameras that would be good? I've heard the N75 was a very light camera but I don't know how small it is. A point-and-shoot could work too if it has a decent lens and focusing/metering system.
I had a *ist 35mm. It was my first ever autofocus camera. I loved it. IIRC, I even had a battery grip for it. It's really a shame I sold it.

My only gripe was the motor wasn't very powerful, and it sometimes had trouble with hand-loaded film because the felt on my canisters had a lot of tension to it.

07-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
if it doesn't have to be the *ist, i highly recommend the ZX-L (MZ-6)
Well, it doesn't have to be a *ist or even a pentax, I just heard that the *ist was a very small and light SLR. My wife needs a small and light camera but one with autoexposure and autofocus. I like Pentax cameras and have some manual-focus lenses.

QuoteQuote:
whic has a few less functions, but the non-cripple K-mount for full compatibility with old lenses and is cheaper
The *ist has a crippled K-mount? I don't know anything about post-manual focus Pentax cameras, so could you explain how the AF mounts are different?
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If small is a requirement, the MZ-5n/ZX-5n is fairly small. The MZ-3 is as well but may be harder to find than the *ist. If I'm not mistaken, Woof has a nice ZX-5n for sale in the marketplace with batterypack. The MZ-L/MX-6 is another option. These all also will allow you to avoid the Krippled kmount.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/61724-sale-zx-5...e-release.html
07-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense;658210 quote:
. . .

The *ist has a crippled K-mount? I don't know anything about post-manual focus Pentax cameras, so could you explain how the AF mounts are different?
Here is the explanation on the film bodies with the crippled mount.

Features and Operation of the crippled Kaf Mount

Edit: when talking about AF film bodies and crippled mount, it is specifically the KAF

07-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK I looked at this thread and it seems like the ZX-5n is the smallest. If I'm interpreting the pictures right, it's not much bigger than an ME Super?

However on the auction site I've seen not the ZX-5n but the ZX-M which looks similar but I can't find any info on the ZX-M. Also is th MZ-5n and ZX-5n the same thing? I don't understand Pentax naming schemes I think.
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote
OK I looked at this thread and it seems like the ZX-5n is the smallest. If I'm interpreting the pictures right, it's not much bigger than an ME Super?

However on the auction site I've seen not the ZX-5n but the ZX-M which looks similar but I can't find any info on the ZX-M. Also is th MZ-5n and ZX-5n the same thing? I don't understand Pentax naming schemes I think.
The ZX-m is a manual version of the ZX series. Just for reference, the ME Super seems large in my hands comapared to the ZX-5n and MZ-3.
07-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Just for reference, the ME Super seems large in my hands comapared to the ZX-5n and MZ-3.
Very good then; my ME Super seems like about the smallest SLR I've seen; it's about the size of my OM2n. If these cameras are comparible in size they are much smaller than other AF SLRs like my nikon F801.

When using manual focus lenses on these AF pentax SLRs, is there an electronic indicator of correct focus? I ask because my wife, being too blind to manually focus, might be able to use my MF pentax lenses if there is an electronic focusing indicator.
07-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have an ME and Mz-5. THe ME is smaller but not AF. The MZ-5 can be had on fleabay so cheap it is not funny.

mike
07-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw one on the SRS uk website for sale.
SRS Microsystems ? Pentax, Nikon and Olympus Digital Cameras, Camera Accessories and Lenses
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
It looks like they have a couple of *ists and MZ-3 on hand.

Used Pentax Film Cameras - Used Equipment - SRS Microsystems
07-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you don't have an autofocus lens to use it with I'd say just go with an ME super. These MZ bodies other than MZ-M (and MZ-3/5/5n/S?) has small viewfinders (still bigger than today's DSLRs) and no focusing split screen, and therefore can be hard to focus. The foxusing aid helps but it's probably better to stick to true manual focusing body...

edit: I didnt read that you wanted an AF body... then you'll have to get a lens to go with it I guess.
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm still wondering if the Pentax AF bodies provide an electronic focus verification when used with MF lenses, which I have plenty of. My F4 has a conspicuous green LED that lights up when focus is achieved. I have a Program Plus, ME, and ME Super already. My wife is too blind to manually focus but perhaps she could limp along with an electronic focus indicator and MF lens until I can afford a AF lens.

Are AF primes rare or something? All I seem to find in Pentax AF lenses are slow zooms.