Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #1

Help for a newbie!

Hullo to all. This is my first post although I post at other forums. My late brother gave my daughter a Pentax S1a with the black casing model no 660547. She has had it for years and has never used it. But my brother used it well!!

She is not sure what to do with it, sell it, keep it, refurbish it?? Any advice would be welcome. I know the black ones are supposed to be rare but we have no idea what it is worth to a collector or for insurance purposes.

Can anyone help?

07-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It may pay for you to ask this question in the Pentax Beginners Forum as I'm sure you'll get a better response there. But welcome to the forum anyway.
07-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a camera that old value will depend a fair bit on condition. I don't think the S1a is rare enough to be worth any huge amount of money however one of the S1a owners here on the film board can probably give you a better idea of the value.

Any idea what accessories or lenses are with the camera? If you are intending to use the camera a simple light meter (under $10 used) would be a useful accessory as I don't believe the S series had a built in one. Many of the old Pentax screw mount lenses are still considered to compare favourably to modern lenses and certain ones are worth quite a bit or could be used if you ever decide to get a digital SLR.

For the cost of film and development these days it would be worthwhile to run a roll through the camera as a test to see if it is working properly. If anybody in your family has an interest in film photography or wants to give it a try the camera is worth keeping.
07-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As it is a family heirloom it depends on how much your daughter misses your brother
and whether she wants to keep it or not....
me would have it CLAd and shoot photos with it

QuoteOriginally posted by davidlpa Quote
Hullo to all. This is my first post although I post at other forums. My late brother gave my daughter a Pentax S1a with the black casing model no 660547. She has had it for years and has never used it. But my brother used it well!!

She is not sure what to do with it, sell it, keep it, refurbish it?? Any advice would be welcome. I know the black ones are supposed to be rare but we have no idea what it is worth to a collector or for insurance purposes.

Can anyone help?

07-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your feedback. We have so many of my brother's things, it is difficult to know what to keep. He was an artist, a photographer, a jazz expert, allthings musical, classical, artistic and operatic, we need a museum to store all his things - and that is only a small part of it, his wife has so many other things too.

I know he would want us to share some of his joys and we are working our way through them all, while keeping the most treasured. This is only one of his cameras.
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As someone else said, it depends on the condition of the camera. The black S1a isn't seen that much so it would carry a little more value than the chrome version if it's in good shape. Does the camera have any brassing (black paint worn off and brass showing through)? What lens or lenses are with the camera (look at the lens barrel around the glass for numbers like 1:1.8/55 or 1:1.4/50, etc.). Are there any large dents in the pentaprism housing (top of the camera). Does it have the clip on light meter with it? In good shape with a normal lens, it would probably sell for less than $100 on ebay. Add in a working meter and it would probably go for over $100. But you never know since, as the saying goes, it's really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

There is a chrome S1a with no lens right now on ebay with a BIN price of 69.80 GBP (approximately 112.97 USD) but it has been serviced (new light seals, etc.).

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 07-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.
07-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
As someone else said, it depends on the condition of the camera. The black S1a isn't seen that much so it would carry a little more value than the chrome version if it's in good shape. Does the camera have any brassing (black paint worn off and brass showing through)? What lens or lenses are with the camera (look at the lens barrel around the glass for numbers like 1:1.8/55 or 1:1.4/50, etc.). Are there any large dents in the pentaprism housing (top of the camera). Does it have the clip on light meter with it? In good shape with a normal lens, it would probably sell for less than $100 on ebay. Add in a working meter and it would probably go for over $100. But you never know since, as the saying goes, it's really worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

There is a chrome S1a with no lens right now on ebay with a BIN price of 69.80 GBP (approximately 112.97 USD) but it has been serviced (new light seals, etc.).

CW
Yes it has the 1:1.8/55 lense, a separate light meter, no brass showing through but it is well used, not shiny new and no dents. I think the other lenses - telephoto, wide angle and close up are Hanimex. Thanks again.