Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
which flash unit

i recently bought a program plus off of ebay and was wondering which flash to get. will the AF200SA work better then the AF200S. which one works better in the programmed ae mode?

07-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As the pgm plus does not have TTL, any Pentax dedicated flash will work in auto thyristor mode (ie. the flash uses its own sensor). The camera sets aperture and shutter speed based on flash setting, and has a flash ready indicator. My pgm plus works fine with an AF280T and an AF200S.

I had to look up the SA model - there's not much difference between the S and the SA - the SA seems simplified and lacks a manual mode?
Non-TTL Pentax Flashes

I bought my AF200S at a camera show, and to be honest, I thought I was buying the AF200T. I'd looked at one at a different table. The T to my mind is better as it has several manual level settings available.

For that matter, a dedicated Vivitar, such as the 2800 (Make sure it is the version that includes Pentax, not the one that includes Nikon, in the dedication), works great as well.

The AF280T is slightly heavier and bulkier, but the head tilts and swivels.

p.s. my 200s has a battery door fault, this may be inherent in the design. The part that slides off doesn't cover the full battery opening - there's a door that opens as well. On mine, the sliding bit doesn't latch down against the batteries, needing tape to hold things together enough to charge the flash.
07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

i just bought a cheap AF280T and it works like a charm on my K100D using the Auto mode even though the DSLR does not have TTL support.