Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Wein Cells take some time to reach full output when exposed to air.
FWIW an inexpensive multimeter is a handy thing for any hobbyist.

Chris
Good point...the cell has been exposed to air for a few hours, though.

I think the battery contacts are just a bit too corroded, so the higher voltage of the alkaline works, but the zinc-air Wein cell doesn't.

08-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Good point...the cell has been exposed to air for a few hours, though.

I think the battery contacts are just a bit too corroded, so the higher voltage of the alkaline works, but the zinc-air Wein cell doesn't.
Not noticed that but they can weep a green liquid and last about (4 months in our climate) if you are stuck on Sunday!
06-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #33

Sorry for the confusion on my end... but I have a question that I don't know I saw the answer to here. I see where it's mentioned many times that current batteries of today with 1.5V will work fine with the Spotmatic F.... but my question is, do I or do I not still need the adapter that is mentioned to use them? For example, if I purchased these batteries to use: amazon.com: Loopacell 625A PX625A LR9 V625U PX625 1.5V 10 Batteries: Home Audio & Theater?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Would they fit into the Spotmatic F battery compartment just by themselves, or would this mentioned adapter still be needed? If adapter is needed, does anyone have a current link (or links) on where to get them? I've looked at the links listed here in this thread from like 4 years ago, and those links don't exist anymore today.

Thanks in advance!
06-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Sorry about the confusion. The most recent thread on the Spotmatic F battery is:

1.5v battery in Spotmatic? - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by modog32665 Quote
I see where it's mentioned many times that current batteries of today with 1.5V will work fine with the Spotmatic F.
This is true.

QuoteOriginally posted by modog32665 Quote
do I not still need the adapter that is mentioned to use them?
No, you should not need the adapter. There is even a chance that the meter has already been calibrated to 1.5v. Your best option for a modern battery would be the Exell S625PX silver oxide button cell. There are less expensive alkaline cell options, but they don't last as long and tend to become weak near exhaustion. A silver cell will last at least a year in regular use and perhaps several years.

All that said, there appears to be a shortage of the silver cell S625PX, though the Exell A625PX alkaline cell looks to be still available. This is strange...COVID-19?

As for the adapters...normally CRIS Camera Repair in Arizona has the MR-9 voltage drop adapter for the SP F, but they are out of stock due to COVID-19. I bought mine from the maker in Japan, Kanto Camera. They have them listed on their Web site, but are not shipping out of country due to coronavirus restrictions.

It looks like the alkaline cell is the only option. I would try and get the Exell (no "c") brand or a familiar name brand and avoid off-brands if possible. B&H has the Exell A625PX in stock. That may have to do until the world returns to an upright position.

Good luck!

Steve