Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #1

My ME Super is playing up again

In both auto and manual modes, the shutter speed doesn't seem to change.
For example, 1/2000 and 4sec show same shutter speed of, I think 1/125 - same speed as 125x. I know, this is the camera's mechanical shutter speed without batteries.
The meter light indicates proper shutter speeds - meaning batteries are in good shape.

Throw in the bin or is there easy way to fix?

07-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Put new batteries in and see if that fixes the problem.

The existing batteries may have enough power for the light meter but not sufficient for the shutter.
07-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Changed the batteries to new ones and still no good.

I am really p@#ed off with ME Super. This is my second copy and I have to say MES is the most unreliable camera ever made by any.

It used have stuck mirror - fixed but ruined a good film and outing.
Jammed film rewinder - fixed but ruined a good film and outing.
And now this ...
Even if I fix this I don't think I can take it out for a shoot.

Well it is now in the bin.

Anyone suggest any good reliable camera in M42 or K mount (I have M42->PK adapter)?
07-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, take the batteries out, clean the contacts using a pencil-end-eraser and see if it helps

I foudn the ME-S to be very reliable actually.

07-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
The meter lights lit so I think the battery contact is fine.
The power doesn't seem to getting to the shutter mechanism.

I am looking to get a Spotmatic F or a K series camera.
07-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That is a pity, IMHO the M series is miles ahead, also the ProgramA/Plus is a much better camera than the K series.

If you were in Europe I could send you a KX

QuoteOriginally posted by eSFotos Quote
The meter lights lit so I think the battery contact is fine.
The power doesn't seem to getting to the shutter mechanism.

I am looking to get a Spotmatic F or a K series camera.
07-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
That is a pity, IMHO the M series is miles ahead, also the ProgramA/Plus is a much better camera than the K series.

If you were in Europe I could send you a KX
M series maybe more advanced but I like the feel and weight of the Spotmatics (I heard Ks used same Spotty body).

I have a Spotmatic SP and I like it very much except that it has fungus in viewfinder, no split focusing screen and I don’t like stop down metering. So, SP-F will be perfect for me.

Thank you, Titrisol.

07-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

SP-F is really nice - basically a K1000 with M42 mount.

Too bad about the ME-Super - mine have been extremely reliable, save for occasional 'jumpy' behavior of the buttons. I just need to take the top off and clean the contacts one of these days...

My absolute favorite M42 body is a GAF L-ES - it's a rebadged Chinon CE-3 Memotron. 1/2000 shutter and aperture priority, DOF preview, self timer, takes a still-easily-findable battery - nearly perfect!
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That would be the K2 or the KX, the K1000 was the souped-down version to be made cheap.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
SP-F is really nice - basically a K1000 with M42 mount.

!
07-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In both auto and manual modes, the shutter speed doesn't seem to change.
For example, 1/2000 and 4sec show same shutter speed of, I think 1/125 - same speed as 125x. I know, this is the camera's mechanical shutter speed without batteries.
The meter light indicates proper shutter speeds - meaning batteries are in good shape.

Throw in the bin or is there easy way to fix?
My guess: a short in the flash circuit (body acts as if a matching flash is attached and charged)?
07-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Inactive Account

This is my second copy and I have to say MES is the most unreliable camera ever made by any.
Whooooo, nelly. Easy on the hyperbole.

QuoteQuote:
Anyone suggest any good reliable camera in M42 or K mount (I have M42->PK adapter)?
K1000? KX? K2 (actually, if you hated the ME Super, you'll probably hate the K2.)

ME Super?

Get a good copy, and they're fantastic. Just go easy on the winding.

Seriously, an ME Super. You're in Sin City, so here's what I want you to do.

Find the classifieds in the paper (do any Sydney papers have classifieds? Haven't really looked.) Look in the photographic section.

I guarantee you (not actually a guarantee, that, more a figure of speech) that before the year is out, there'll be half a dozen guys flogging their old MEs/ME Supers. These will be old guys who're selling their gear because their eyesight's going, they're going digital, or they've got to pay for that operation or caravan. The gear is pretty much in excellent nick, and will probably come with a few lenses, flashes, a bag and other sundries.

They'll probably charge less than $50, because they're a Pentax and they're old, but owned by people who would rather service something than just buy a new one.

They're great cams, and I'm sorry that you've had such a bad run. I'd rather a GPD+LED system over a match-needle any day.

Failing that, Ricoh made excellent K-mounts. Try a KR-10 Super.

I also love my Chinon CG-5. Excellent build, fits well in my hands (not as tiny as an M-series, not as huge as the Ks - nicely proportioned, with a little grip that holds spare batteries.) LED meter. Finder's not as good as the ME's, but then again, nothing is. They're a bit rare, as Chinon was never as popular as Ricoh or Pentax, but that makes them very good value for money, ("Who the hell are Chinon?")

Shutter sounds cooler than the ME's, too.

Read through some of the manuals here to find a camera you'd like.
07-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The two Program cameras - whatever they are called in your part of the world, Super A etc, seem to be good as well, slightly larger and with good ergonomics, once you get used to the push buttons. A couple of years experience with camera electronics hasn't hurt reliability either.

The K cameras are also good, they are the same size as the Spotmatics...