Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter

On a similar topic, here is an excerpt from a Pentax price list dated
January 23, 1978. It shows you the MSRP costs of the new M series stuff and the remaining K series prices in USD.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37...lub-pentax.pdf

Last edited by gofour3; 07-13-2009 at 05:12 PM.
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This was behind the front cover of Modern Photo... I have at least one more such... will post sooner or later
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Nesster and Phil,

Thanks for posting the “memory lane” stuff guys. Keep it coming. I remember some of those ads Nesster. Phil, you posted that price list before and I was amazed at the cost of some of the old gear in 1978 dollars. This was a very expensive hobby for the times and it still is.

My first SLR was a Pentax MX with a M 50/1.4 which was pretty standard kit for 1981. I was always impressed with the quality “feel” of both the camera and the lens and I still am. I went on to add a bunch of M series glass as time went on. Comparing the Pentax glass to Canon and Nikon gear of the same era I always preferred the look and feel of the Pentax equipment. I still do.

It was only years later when I got a used K2 body as a backup that I came to appreciate how good the K series cams and lenses were. I just like the extra weight and size of this generation of Pentax gear. Smaller is not better it is just smaller. I suspect the main reason Olympus and other makers went smaller was not to improve things but to make them cheaper.

Like Phil I’ve become a convert to the K series over time. While I often shoot with my M series glass I have to admit I tend to reach for my K series lenses first for most shots if the situation permits. The images they produce have a have a different “look” to them than my M and DA glass. I find they just feel better in the hand with the K 200/2.5 being a case in point. This is all subjective stuff of course but it’s important to me in any case. Still looking to pick up more K series glass as time and money allow.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-13-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
=Nesster;665925
20% lighter than the competition: only, they nearly threw out the baby with the bathwater, as the top plates of many individual M-series cameras show that the gauge of the metal used was inadequate to stand up to the strains and stresses of daily use. A pity, as many examples on the second-hand market amply demonstrate. .

Nevertheless, the designs are very fetching, and I am in the market for an ME or MX in good condition: still looking!

07-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I recall the 'smallest' Pentax - I still went Olympus, the Pentax seemed a bit too small.

Of course now I'm entirely agreed about the KX, and I love the Program Plus (which was contemporary to the OM2s I bought), and truly appreciate the Nikon FE (which came out in the same time frame as the MX). I don't use the OM2s much any more - mainly due to its insane hunger for batteries - but it is beautifully designed and made. It always was too skinny for me though, I used the bottom of the case as a grip for 25 years... The Pgm Plus - which I wish I'd bought, or the Super Pgm, back in '85 - is more comfortable to use.

Funny thing about camera sizes, I've noticed the height of the camera is important, whether (and how many) fingers slip under the bottom plate vs. staying on the body itself. The fatness of the body and its shape also affects the feeling of security... of the old gripless cameras, surprisingly the Yashica Electro-X is the most comfortable - it is the tallest and the back has a very satisfying bulge to it. I'm undecided as yet between the FE and the KX and ES-II for comfort - the Nikon has the same dimensions but is one finger shorter.

I suppose this is a long way around to saying I've never cottoned to the M series. But I wouldn't mind trying
07-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #21

Don't worry, Chris, I'm sure it was photoshopped.

07-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Want to know which are the hottest-selling cameras in Japan? Well, Camera Times, a Japanese news weekly, knew you'd be interested and came up with a list of 1975 retail camera sales. While maintaining its overall lead in the SLR category, Nikon was almost outdistanced by Olympus in smaller stores. Olympus made this astonishing leap into second place in just two years, but it still has room to advance in the interchangeable lens field, ranking behind Nikon, Pentax, Canon and Minolta, respectively.

Due to its C35 EF, Konica has remained number one in compact-camera sales. Kodak and Fujica have quite a battle going in the Pocket 110 category, but the American brand is leading, with Canon following a close third. [Elsewhere in the magazine they reveal that 62% of those surveyed in Japan felt 110 image quality was poor, which was a cause in the sales slump of these cameras.] The only representatives in the half-frame field are Ricoh and Olympus, and they seem to be staging a comeback after quite a slump. Sales in the 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 [sic] format favor Mamiya, Pentax, Bronica, Fujica and Kowa in successive positions. Fujica leads the 8mm movie field in both camera and projector sales.

While we don't suggest you base the decision for your next purchase on this information, it's fun to watch what the people who make the cameras like to lug around.
- Modern Photography, November 1976

The success of the OM series was huge - and this explains why a couple of years later nearly everyone was marketing compact SLRs and why smaller versions of older lens lines were introduced.
07-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by booklady Quote
Don't worry, Chris, I'm sure it was photoshopped.
I think they call it something else back then?

07-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Sure, they loaded it on the PDP-11/70 using paper tape.

Chris
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sure, they loaded it on the PDP-11/70 using paper tape.

Chris

Hey I used to work at a place in the late 70's as a computer operator. We had a PDP-11/70 and a couple IBM mainframes. Beside using card readers and tapes for input, we also used paper tape. Did you have the pleasure as well, those were the good old days?

Phil.
08-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Good commercial, thanks for posting
08-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
... Beside using card readers and tapes for input, we also used paper tape. Did you have the pleasure as well, those were the good old days?

Phil.
Yup, I learned to program (Fortran and PL-1) on punch cards, with jobs fed to a university mainframe.
08-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very cool.... and especially for me.