Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

Pentax MX exposure counter broken?

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a beautiful MX at a store, went home to try it out and was sad to discover that the exposure counter wouldn't advance upon loading the film. It half advances to 0, then goes back to the dot. The film was properly loaded and I advanced through a whole dummy film..Does this mean it's broken? Is this a common problem? Or is there something I'm not doing right? I dont want to mess with it, I'll just take it back tomorrow. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Last edited by Billybudd; 07-13-2009 at 08:55 AM.
07-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should count up with or without film, and reset when the back is opened.
It sounds like yours may be broken. I can recommend a good repairman...

Chris
07-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It should count up with or without film, and reset when the back is opened.
It sounds like yours may be broken. I can recommend a good repairman...

Chris
Ok thanks. I'll just take it back to the store tomorrow.
07-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Alright, I just fooled around with it a little and I got it to 0 and subsequent numbers 3 times already. It does seem to be broken, but it must be a simple fix since combinations of tiny lever strokes while turning the shutter dial (is that bad for the mechanics?) seem to get it to "catch" again, although it got stuck on #28 again. Weird...

07-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JFYI
Service manual can be found here:
Analogue and Accessories Pentax : Service Manual
07-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
It seems to have somewhat fixed itself overnight and now it advances to 0 on average after 9 strokes (7-11 range), so 7 strokes of "semi-0 then back to dot", then semi-0 and 0. I can live with that... The rest of the camera is in perfect shape so there's no reason to take it apart just to fix that little nuance. Maybe there's a topical fix?

Perhaps I can get a good rebate on another lens because of this "defect"
07-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do not think this mechanism changed much during camera evolution
check this:
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Asahi Pentax SV problems...

07-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a little tab on the back which pushes into the top of the camera - it should be near the top right side of the body looking from the back. If the back is slightly bent or if there's some obstruction the tab doesn't go in far enough, and you get this intermittent resetting problem.

I've had this problem, I'd accidentaly bent the back and hadn't bent it fully back into correct shape. The film itself advances, you just don't know what frame you're up to.
07-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Billybudd Quote
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a beautiful MX at a store, went home to try it out and was sad to discover that the exposure counter wouldn't advance upon loading the film. It half advances to 0, then goes back to the dot. The film was properly loaded and I advanced through a whole dummy film..Does this mean it's broken? Is this a common problem? Or is there something I'm not doing right? I dont want to mess with it, I'll just take it back tomorrow. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

I had an identical problem with a "minty" Olympus OM2sp, only recently.

I took it back to the (bricks & mortar dealer), as he had a 30 day warranty policy on used gear, and he had it professionally repaired. It appears to work perfectly now, so I kept it.
07-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
I had an identical problem with a "minty" Olympus OM2sp, only recently.

I took it back to the (bricks & mortar dealer), as he had a 30 day warranty policy on used gear, and he had it professionally repaired. It appears to work perfectly now, so I kept it.
I took mine back as well but by then it was working alright (only skipping on the first 2 strokes). I got half off a new lens with some free filters and a vintage strap. I figured I might as well fix it myself someday.

The funny thing is that it's progressively fixing itself... First it didn't work at all, then it was around 10 strokes skipping, and now it's only 2... It's magic!
07-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I guess it was a piece of light seal foam.....
some exercise helps a lot!
07-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
some exercise helps a lot!

which is why I don't use/want motor drives - I get my excercise using my thumb on the film advance lever
07-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Billybudd Quote
... First it didn't work at all, then it was around 10 strokes skipping, and now it's only 2... It's magic!

I had a similar experience with a Voigtlander Vito II: very cheap price for an aesthetically very good example, but the shutter was stuck at all speeds. (This was from a "junk" shop -no warranties here)

I kept on working the shutter and -progressively- it cleared to the point where I exposed a couple of films quite successfully. Then it seized up properly! It took several return visits to a pro to get it working again, but now it does work well.