Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KM needle meter movement

I picked up a KM that I was told the meter was faulty on primarilly to get the lens it was pictured with off fleabay. Ended up that I should've been more leary of the sale. The seller pictured it with a lens I'd been after but it was delivered body only. They never said "body only" or made note of "ebay's glitch putting up the wrong picture" when they described it as a KM body.

Anyways, if I don't end up returning it for a complete refund, I threw a battery from my working ME Super into the camera and got some movement out of the needle. My question is, how much is this needle supposed to move in response to light or setting changes? This one doesn't move much at all and would seem easy to be a couple stops off. It takes several aperature clicks to get the needle to even move the thickness of the needle.

I'm hoping that if I don't get some sort of reimbursement over the purchase discrepancy, at least I might be getting a functioning camera out of it. I just don't want to commit thie thing to a roll of film until I have a resolution and if you guys think the meter might be trustworthy.

Eric

07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Are you checking the meter with a lens in place? Anyway, with a lens in place, try shutter speed and aperture combinations and check the reading to the sunny 16 rule.
07-14-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

That needle meter is used in the KM and K1000. They eventually get sticky, and are pretty much completely unreliable at that point. A CLA would get it going again, but not worth it if the auction wasn't what you wanted anyway.
07-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a lens on and then compared it to what my K10d metered. I only did one comparison in my office, and it was within a stop or so. Not sure if it was a fluke.

Good idea about the sunny 16. I forgot about that. Hopefully tomorrow it won't be so gloomy out.