Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
B&H has Kodachrome In Stock

At least they do for the moment. I just ordered 5 rolls.

CW

07-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too late none in stock now! Two months ago they couldn’t give the stuff away!
07-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang. At least I'm on the waiting list at DeWaynes.
07-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Dang. At least I'm on the waiting list at DeWaynes.
Go to B&H and put your name on the e-mail list for when it's back in stock. I did that and as soon as I got the e-mail, I ordered. I did notice that there seemed to be about a dollar per roll price increase on the new batch.

CW

07-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe kodachrome being discontinued is a trick to get people to try it out :b
07-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Maybe kodachrome being discontinued is a trick to get people to try it out :b
honestly ... then a few months later they'll say something like due to the overwhelming demand, we've decided to continue it or some bull like that.
07-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
honestly ... then a few months later they'll say something like due to the overwhelming demand, we've decided to continue it or some bull like that.
I think they are serious about discontinuing it. I think that younger gen X or Z guys are in the Kodak management and see film as "old school" and completely obsolete when in fact it is merely their education that is incomplete.

However, there is a chance that a spike in sales may get them to reconsider dropping it.

What I would like to see Kodak do is create a smaller more efficient specialty facility to make film products. In other words, adjust their model rather than drop something. Mid-20th century mentality is part of our problem. Companies goals were to grow various divisions as huge as possible. The problem is, the bigger something is, the more likely it is to become un-sustainable at some point. We are seeing that with a lot of huge companies.

07-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think they are serious about discontinuing it. I think that younger gen X or Z guys are in the Kodak management and see film as "old school" and completely obsolete when in fact it is merely their education that is incomplete.

However, there is a chance that a spike in sales may get them to reconsider dropping it.

What I would like to see Kodak do is create a smaller more efficient specialty facility to make film products. In other words, adjust their model rather than drop something. Mid-20th century mentality is part of our problem. Companies goals were to grow various divisions as huge as possible. The problem is, the bigger something is, the more likely it is to become un-sustainable at some point. We are seeing that with a lot of huge companies.
I agree, well said!!
07-19-2009, 04:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodachrome is and always has been my color film of choice.
I would love to see Kodak change their mind and keep making it.
But if they do their detractors will surely say it was all some cynical marketing ploy.

Chris
07-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Kodachrome is and always has been my color film of choice.
I would love to see Kodak change their mind and keep making it.
But if they do their detractors will surely say it was all some cynical marketing ploy.

Chris
You mean like "New Coke"? Either the biggest marketing blunder of all time or the smartest advertising gimmick of all time. I still don't know which. But Kodak could come close and get similar news coverage if they decided to bring it back. The question is would it be financially worth more than the cost to keep Kodachrome. Probably not.

CW
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
. . . The question is would it be financially worth more than the cost to keep Kodachrome. Probably not.

CW
That's why I wish these guys would like at a smaller sustainable model and get out of the 1950s GM model.

Edit: I don't see them moving Wal-Mart quantities to a single buyer, but if they were to do it on a smaller scale, it may work. Target went with the small Noritsu machines rather than dumping their film development like Wal-Fart did.