Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
$210 for a KX? I guess I was more fortunate than you were, as mine was purchased last year with the same lens as yours on Ebay in just about mint condition for $70. I picked up a second KX body for my daughter just 6 weeks ago at a BIN price of $49 that had been sitting there for 2 days with new mirror & door foam. On Ebay the k1000, due to it's massive reputation & demand as a great starter camera, usually goes for more than a KX..... most newbies snapping up all of those k1000s have never heard of a KX.
I did not pay $210 for the camera, but that is what the total price came to after needed service and purchase of a matching lens.

Camera: $85
CLA/repair: $85
Lens: $40

Mind you, the body and lens are both in Exc+ condition. I asked the used camera guys in my area what they would charge for a CLA'd KX with lens and they replied that it would be about the same as a MX...$190-$250.

I saw the BIN for $49, but you grabbed it before I could do the purchase. That was quite a deal. (I don't, as a rule, cruise eBay, so missed that one when it was first listed.) For sure, there are a few deals to be had, but for the most part, the price for a clean KX (with/without lens) is in the $110-$135 bracket.

The strange thing is that a good KX this time last year, as you know, was generally available in the $60-$80 range with several available at any one time. For some reason the supply dried up around the first of the year and the prices have risen. I think it has something to do with the good opinions on this site regarding the KX.

In any case, the point is that none of the classic Pentax bodies are particularly cheap. The LX, even less so, though only by a factor of 2 or 3.

Steve

(Planning on starting a thread comparing the cheap Ricoh XR-2s with the classic KX...same size, same viewfinder...)

07-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone loves a bargain but for me price isn't the sole determining factor.
I'm willing to pay a premium for gear that's in excellent cosmetic condition.

Chris
07-20-2009, 04:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

The strange thing is that a good KX this time last year, as you know, was generally available in the $60-$80 range with several available at any one time. For some reason the supply dried up around the first of the year and the prices have risen. I think it has something to do with the good opinions on this site regarding the KX.

(Planning on starting a thread comparing the cheap Ricoh XR-2s with the classic KX...same size, same viewfinder...)

It's true. I'd always been amazed by the fact that K1000s were commanding much higher prices than languishing KXs. That's starting to change now, as you mentioned, probably due at least in part to the knowledge of prospective buyers gained on sites like this. We should probably start badmouthing hidden gems like the KX, in order to keep the price down. We can start by keeping mum on the XR-2!
07-20-2009, 04:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea to start a campaign maligning the virtues of the LX..... if successful, maybe the price would drop to a figure within my range. Then again, if too successful, I might not want one!

07-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea to start a campaign maligning the virtues of the LX..... if successful, maybe the price would drop to a figure within my range. Then again, if too successful, I might not want one!
Now that I have a silver and a black K2, I'm ready for you guys to push those prices up.
07-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Yes, raymeedc and I aren't saying that the LX is a crap camera, with a bad metering system, bad handling, and bad everything. We're not. It's a great camera. It's the price we have a huge problem with. There's nothing on that camera or about that camera that warrants $300 vs. getting a PZ-1P for $80. .

There's a reason the Z-1p can be had for $80......
For me, the Z-1p is the only Pentax camera I've owned that I didn't like....
07-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea to start a campaign maligning the virtues of the LX.....
Yeah, the LX is notorious for that sticky mirror syndrome. I wouldn't have one!!!!

CW

07-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Yeah, the LX is notorious for that sticky mirror syndrome. I wouldn't have one!!!!

CW
Yes, the sticky mirror is terrible! The other bad thing is straps! Do know how hard it is to get a strap that fits the LX lugs? Those things don't grow on trees ya know!

Steve

(I think the price is starting to drop...keep those negative comments coming!)
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, the sticky mirror is terrible! The other bad thing is straps! Do know how hard it is to get a strap that fits the LX lugs? Those things don't grow on trees ya know!

Steve

(I think the price is starting to drop...keep those negative comments coming!)
Are they the same as the ones on the 6x7?
07-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #40
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
There's a reason the Z-1p can be had for $80......
For me, the Z-1p is the only Pentax camera I've owned that I didn't like....
Not to be rude, but weren't you the only person who rated the FA 85mm a '5' in the review forum (when 8 other reviewers rated it a 10)? It seems like you go against the popular choices! The PZ-1P was the top of the line Pentax body for years until the MZ-S, and in my opinion, still the best AF Pentax camera.
07-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Not to be rude, but weren't you the only person who rated the FA 85mm a '5' in the review forum (when 8 other reviewers rated it a 10)? It seems like you go against the popular choices! The PZ-1P was the top of the line Pentax body for years until the MZ-S, and in my opinion, still the best AF Pentax camera.
If you go here (LBA- FA* 85mm- your thoughts?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) you'll see that many who have actually used the lens agrees with me. I think it warrant a "5" at this price level where I expect a lens to perform flawless regardless (like its predecessor the A* 85/1.4 or the 77 Limited).

The fact that the Z-1p was Pentax top of the line AF camera for years says more about Pentax than the Z-1p.
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you go here (LBA- FA* 85mm- your thoughts?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) you'll see that many who have actually used the lens agrees with me. I think it warrant a "5" at this price level where I expect a lens to perform flawless regardless (like its predecessor the A* 85/1.4 or the 77 Limited)...
I read through the DPReview thread and only saw a few comments regarding weight and one that said it has a tendency to PF at times. The actual owners seem to be pretty loyal to their purchase! As for the specific comments in your review...yes there were a few comments that the lens is better suited to portraits and not to other uses. I can only guess why that might be.

Are you saying that it would get a higher rank at half the price?

When I review a lens, price is never a consideration when determining its rating. I may mention whether the lens is a good or poor value for the money, but good is good and poor is poor regardless of price.

Steve

(Own that other 85mm...the very heavy Jupiter-9...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-21-2009 at 03:53 PM.
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd agree with Steve on this one, we shouldn't put price into consideration when reviewing a lens' quality. Otherwise all those 50/2 and 1855 kit lenses would have a score of 10

Same goes to an LX camera. It's probably the only pro level 135mm film camera from Pentax, one of the best. But I sold it for an MX and ME Super SE because I like their smaller sizes and better looking (yes, I do think MX and ME look better than LX). This is just personal thing.
07-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't like my PZ-1P either. The 100+ page instruction manual will give you a hint why. I sold mine.

BTW I kept the LX...

Chris
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #45
K-9
Veteran Member

If you go here (LBA- FA* 85mm- your thoughts?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) you'll see that many who have actually used the lens agrees with me. I think it warrant a "5" at this price level where I expect a lens to perform flawless regardless (like its predecessor the A* 85/1.4 or the 77 Limited).

The fact that the Z-1p was Pentax top of the line AF camera for years says more about Pentax than the Z-1p.
It has always performed flawlessly for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I didn't like my PZ-1P either. The 100+ page instruction manual will give you a hint why. I sold mine.

BTW I kept the LX...

Chris
That's because it's so packed with features!