Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for a Manual K-Mount Body

I'm not in any hurry, but I'd like to keep my eyes open in the nearby market for a K-mount manual body, and I'm not sure what to get or look for. I have no complaints about my Spotmatic bodies, and like the way they do business, but something a little more advanced wouldn't hurt. I also would like something a little more tidy in the size department than the Spot, so the K series is likely out. I'd like to be able to tap into the K mount lens library. Are there lenses that hold up to the SMC Takumar line?

To that end, I have a couple of ideas. The MX and LX come to mind, though the LX seems to be pretty expensive even now ($400 for the body and a winder?). I don't like the idea of a 20+ year old display for shutter speed control, so the SuperProgram is out. What other bodies were there in the late 70s-early 80s that were pretty decent?

And don't say the MZ-S. I want one of those too.

07-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX is a great camera, small and all manual but with VF info on shutter speed and aperture, DOF preview and timer. If you want Av mode, I would not hesitate to pick up a Super Program. I got mine at a thrift store and I love it. The ME Super isn't bad, but the controls are odd and no DOF preview. Ricoh's XR-7 actually does have DOF, so I sold my ME super in favor of it; should be dirt cheap, but is a little larger than the Pentax "M"s. I think it handles very nicely, though.

AF bodies are another story. And lenses, a whole book. I'l let someone else get going on those.
07-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K1000, a SuperProgram, and an SF10 that I'm about to put up for sale.

Let me know if you are interested.
07-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I like low-tech full-information viewfinders (think Judas window) and DOF preview. By order of price here are some that I can recommend:
  • Ricoh XR-2/XR-2s
  • Ricoh XR7
  • Pentax KX
  • Pentax MX
  • Pentax LX

I currently own both Ricohs and a KX, almost bought a MX when they were new (got the Ricoh XR7 instead), and have always wanted an LX.

Steve

07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of LX, a nice black ME-Super and a very nice black MX that I could probably be talked out of if you are interested.
PM me if you want.
07-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t discount the K series bodies, like the K2 & KX. There aren’t that big and are very reliable. They also don’t have “known” issues like some other series bodies, example the LX and the sticky mirror.
07-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Since you're looking for a smaller body than your spotmatics, the early K models (K100, KM, KX, K2) are out, as they are essentially spotmatic sized cmeras. The MX would be the perfect choice for you if you aren't looking for any auto metering modes. If you are, though, I would recommend a Super Program or Super A (same camera, labeled as such in Europe) as the pinnacle of their compact multi-mode era.

07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If you have average to large hands you may find the MX too small. Try before you buy.

Chris
The body half of an ever-ready case can make handling easier for larger hands. There are also $$ after-market grips made for the MX on eBay. I have very large hands and prefer having the case attached with ALL of my film bodies regardless of their size. (That is saying something...my Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL is a tank!) The other issue related to size is the location and accessibility of the controls. On some smaller cameras, simple things like changing shutter speed are a pain.

Steve
07-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #9

Just bought an ME SE (Special Edition) on eBay (for $45!) with stock standard 1:1.7 50mm Pentax smc lens...highly recommended...
Attached Images

07-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #10

You could probably find an ME or ME Super in good working condition on ebay or your local camera shop for a reasonable price. When my ME broke on me, I was able to get a Super for pretty cheap at one of the local places.
07-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevef_001 Quote
Just bought an ME SE (Special Edition) on eBay (for $45!) with stock standard 1:1.7 50mm Pentax smc lens...highly recommended...
He's looking for a MANUAL body.
07-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just read a review of the Ricoh xr-2 - the xr-1 is the all manual sib... in a '78 Modern Photo magazine, they were awesome, tough, honest, fair. They thought the xr-2 was a very good camera, and it has some nifty features - a built in viewfinder blind for one. I wouldn't mind one!

The most interesting thing - they said Pentax made the K mount Rikenons! The 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.7, 135/2.8 XR Rikenons are the same optically as the SMC K Pentaxes, except they don't have all inner elements multi coated. The 200/4 XR is the same as the equivalent SMC-M

this of course does not necessarily mean that later on Pentax still made Rikenons... Seems Rikenon XR is equivalent to a K mount Takumar...
07-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I just read a review of the Ricoh xr-2 - the xr-1 is the all manual sib... in a '78 Modern Photo magazine, they were awesome, tough, honest, fair. They thought the xr-2 was a very good camera, and it has some nifty features - a built in viewfinder blind for one. I wouldn't mind one!

The most interesting thing - they said Pentax made the K mount Rikenons! The 28/3.5, 35/2.8, 50/1.7, 135/2.8 XR Rikenons are the same optically as the SMC K Pentaxes, except they don't have all inner elements multi coated. The 200/4 XR is the same as the equivalent SMC-M

this of course does not necessarily mean that later on Pentax still made Rikenons... Seems Rikenon XR is equivalent to a K mount Takumar...
Anyone considering purchase of an XR-2/XR-2s should be aware that the self-timer mechanism on these cameras gets stiff with age. As a result, the self-timer lever is often broken off. I don't know if this feature is easily repaired/lubed, but it might be worth the effort. The self-timer provides a crude form of mirror-lock-up.

In regards to the Pentax-K/XR Rikenon connection, I had read this before and it does not surprise me. Who actually designed/made/re-badged what is not clear, but the similarities are too strong to ignore. The idea that the K-mount Takumar may be the same lenses is intriguing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-18-2009 at 08:04 AM.
07-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

if an authority like Modern says so, openly, in a camera review... it has to be true. I think Pentax made the deal in an effort to make the K the new universal mount. Modern specifically said Pentax made the lenses.
07-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Awww, you all are trying to goad me into posting the review of xr-2 and the set of lenses...

All I can say is that I believe both Pentax and Ricoh validated what Modern wrote: the first series of Rikenon XRs are the same optics as SMC K series Pentax lenses, are manufactured by Pentax, and have less surfaces multi coated than the equivalent Pentax lens.

Remember also that Pentax had just discontinued the SMC K in favor of SMC-M, and probably had the tooling and components left over.

Who made all successive Rikenons is another matter, I doubt it was Pentax for very long.