Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gladly, if I have such a review... I only have random issues handy...

Although, I did post some K 50mm Pop Photo charts here somewhere...

I've been thinking of you and these since this last round of posted old advertisements: I believe I saw a stack of old photo magazines around this town somewhere, pretty recently. Didn't think much of it at the time, though, so I'm not sure where it was. I'll be keeping my eyes open, though, to flip through them this time.

08-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
When I was younger, I always coveted the black models. There were far fewer of them than the more common silver, & were considered more "serious". This was true for all 35mm SLRs. Now, though, with all modern DSLRs being black, the silver SLRs hold more attraction for me, especially because they scream "METAL", unlike the plastic-carbon-whatever mixture of todays cookie cutter looking instruments. Consequently, I'm tired of looking at black SLRs. Now the old black cameras look cheap to me, almost plastic-like. Silver metal is a refreshing, nostalgic change. Needless to say, my KX is silver. To each their own.
I still prefer black over chrome (in the old days fifty pounds or dollars extra for the black bodies). Then came chrome and champagne in camera and hi-fi. I first saw the KX in 1980 but I did'nt understand the importance of the larger Pentax-K lenses until a year or two ago. I bought entirely SMCP-M but in Hongkong with its high rate of obsolescence, the K lenses would have been next to nothing in 1980.
08-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Gotta love the bantering
08-07-2009, 04:11 AM   #34

Took a few shots of mine a while ago (taken with K100d Super)

I still need a black one...

08-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Nice KX and K55/1.8!! That is the exact body/lens package of my first Pentax back in '75.
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

As for KX vs. LX differences, there are many...

The LX viewfinder uses LEDs as opposed to a needle but is otherwise similar; the chosen shutter speed is highlighted by a blue pointer and the LED indicates the metered exposure on the shutter speed scale, with the aperture visible via an optical "window" similar to the KX.

Doesn't look like the KX is set up to take a winder or motor drive (thanks for that photo of the bottom!), The LX had an available Winder LX (2 FPS) or an available Motor Drive LX (5 FPS). The KX is a fixed finder, the LX had the FA finder (no hotshoe), FA-1 Finder (hotshoe), and FA-1W Finder (hotshoe + diopter correction). Also available were the FB-1 System Base with a "Normal," "Action," and "Magnifier" Eyepieces with a 45 degree angle for the Normal and Magnifier and with the ability to twist the Action Eyepiece to essentially any angle and see the viewfinder without having your eye right up against it, AND a Waist Level Finder was also available.

The KX was all mechanical, the LX Electromechanical; the LX could shoot with no batteries from X-Synch (1/75th sec) to 1/2000th and from 125 seconds to 1/2000th with batteries.

Not to mention available grips, battery grips, wired remote release cables, bulk film backs, data backs, AC power supplies, off-the-film metering, and dust and weather seals. The LX was a professional system camera, basically, and far beyond the ambitions of the KX (not trying to offend those who own the very fine KX's though!).
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
The LX viewfinder uses LEDs as opposed to a needle but is otherwise similar; the chosen shutter speed is highlighted by a blue pointer and the LED indicates the metered exposure on the shutter speed scale, with the aperture visible via an optical "window" similar to the KX.

Doesn't look like the KX is set up to take a winder or motor drive (thanks for that photo of the bottom!), The LX had an available Winder LX (2 FPS) or an available Motor Drive LX (5 FPS). The KX is a fixed finder, the LX had the FA finder (no hotshoe), FA-1 Finder (hotshoe), and FA-1W Finder (hotshoe + diopter correction). Also available were the FB-1 System Base with a "Normal," "Action," and "Magnifier" Eyepieces with a 45 degree angle for the Normal and Magnifier and with the ability to twist the Action Eyepiece to essentially any angle and see the viewfinder without having your eye right up against it, AND a Waist Level Finder was also available.

The KX was all mechanical, the LX Electromechanical; the LX could shoot with no batteries from X-Synch (1/75th sec) to 1/2000th and from 125 seconds to 1/2000th with batteries.

Not to mention available grips, battery grips, wired remote release cables, bulk film backs, data backs, AC power supplies, off-the-film metering, and dust and weather seals. The LX was a professional system camera, basically, and far beyond the ambitions of the KX (not trying to offend those who own the very fine KX's though!).
Yes there is a KX & KM motor drive version and the K2 & K2DMD would be the K series body closest to the LX. Also don’t forget the KX/K2 came out in 1975 and the LX in 1980, that's five years of technology advancements in favor of the LX.

For it’s time the K2 was the best body Pentax had and it’s little brother the KX was second.
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
For itís time the K2 was the best body Pentax had and itís little brother the KX was second.
Depending on one's taste, one might dispute the order of your statement

08-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Love the new avatar!
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Agreed, I like the KX better as well!!
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Love the new avatar!
Only a true believer would recognize it for what it is

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Agreed, I like the KX better as well!!
Of course, at the time the K2 (and later the K2DMD - boy do I miss that camera) were considered the professional cameras offered by Pentax.

Lately having started to simplify I am back to the KX, MESuper, K10D and a few lenses.

I am happier.
09-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what's this excitement over the KX? what, it comes in all these colors now?
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Only a true believer would recognize it for what it is

Of course, at the time the K2 (and later the K2DMD - boy do I miss that camera) were considered the professional cameras offered by Pentax.

Lately having started to simplify I am back to the KX, MESuper, K10D and a few lenses.

I am happier.
Through the generosity of a member I have the K2DMD and SP-F back in my camera bag

Film at 10!!
09-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
So what's this excitement over the KX? what, it comes in all these colors now?
Cameraleather.com has 40-something colours and textures listed. Combine that with 2 original metal finishes (or maybe some high quality enamel paint) and that gives at least 80 combinations

I think I'll go for coral pink leather on a black body...
09-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm a big fan of the K2 and think it is the best of the K line of cameras. That being said, I'll admit to being impressed with the KX as well. I only held one once but the impression was positive.

Tom G