Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Got one (silver) and satisfied!

Now, as far as black is concerned, I don't get the hype. Sure there's not as many, so what?

I actually prefer the silver AND the silver finish is much more durable than the black.
I actually passed on several black bodies in favor of silver. As you mentioned, the silver ages more gracefully.

Steve

07-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got one (silver) and satisfied!

Now, as far as black is concerned, I don't get the hype. Sure there's not as many, so what?

I actually prefer the silver AND the silver finish is much more durable than the black.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I agree 100%

Chris
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I actually passed on several black bodies in favor of silver. As you mentioned, the silver ages more gracefully.

Steve
Well, they certainly take the same picture, but for whatever reason I enjoy having the black version.
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I solved the issue by getting one in black and one in silver. It seemed like the only solution to me. Same thing with the K2.
07-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
Forum Member

What's the big difference between the KX and the LX, just the OTF metering? I didn't know about the KX before. I always coveted the LX because it has that oh so sensible match-led manual mode system. This ad makes the KX look similar.

07-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The KX has a mechanical exposure indicator - you see the line of shutter speeds, a pointer to the selected speed, and the exposure needle. When they coincide you've set exposure to the metered value. I love this indication (the Nikon FE has a similar one) as exposure compensation is clearly visible with the exposure needle moving up or down against the shutter speeds. The KX also has a window that displays the aperture set on the lens, on mine I can't see it.

I don't know what the LX has or does
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Iḿ also a Nikon FE fan, but the KX is all mechanical...
on another post by Nesster I see the K2 would be the equivalnt FE
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sweet, thanks

07-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I like black cameras somewhat better, in general: less conspicuous, and I don't mind some brassing. The chrome ones do wear like iron, though.

As for who else used real silver on their prisms, I'm not sure, but I seem to recall someone with a Nikon finder that had a desilvering problem that looked like you sometimes find on old silver mirrors. I think, but I'm not sure, that Canon used something like chrome. Seems like some of the claims in this ad are a little fussy, honestly. But they're nice cameras. I've been starting to think a KX might be something I'd like to get a hold of.
07-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I vaguely recall the mention of the other camera, when I see it again in the magazines I'll post it... I seem to recall it was the Olympus OM though.
07-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Hey Nesster,

As you seem to have access to all these old copies of Modern Photography is there any chance on scanning some of the old K series lens reviews? Might be fun to see what they had to say about the old glass if you had the time or inclination.

Tom G
07-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hey Nesster,

As you seem to have access to all these old copies of Modern Photography is there any chance on scanning some of the old K series lens reviews? Might be fun to see what they had to say about the old glass if you had the time or inclination.

Tom G
Great idea Tom, I'd love to see some reviews as well. Please Nessster.

Phil.
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gladly, if I have such a review... I only have random issues handy...

Although, I did post some K 50mm Pop Photo charts here somewhere...
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Gladly, if I have such a review... I only have random issues handy...

Although, I did post some K 50mm Pop Photo charts here somewhere...
I have wondered whether there might be some value in contacting a larger public or university library to see whether they have these old magazines in their archives or on fiche.

Steve
07-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have wondered whether there might be some value in contacting a larger public or university library to see whether they have these old magazines in their archives or on fiche.

Steve
I have wondered about this as well Steve. If we could scan the old Popular Photography and Modern Photography lens and camera reviews would be a great addition to this forum.

Tom G
07-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
Veteran Member

When I was younger, I always coveted the black models. There were far fewer of them than the more common silver, & were considered more "serious". This was true for all 35mm SLRs. Now, though, with all modern DSLRs being black, the silver SLRs hold more attraction for me, especially because they scream "METAL", unlike the plastic-carbon-whatever mixture of todays cookie cutter looking instruments. Consequently, I'm tired of looking at black SLRs. Now the old black cameras look cheap to me, almost plastic-like. Silver metal is a refreshing, nostalgic change. Needless to say, my KX is silver. To each their own.

Last edited by raymeedc; 07-25-2009 at 04:23 PM.