Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Asahiflex and older Pentax?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought a 50 year old Pentax K in "New" shape which I found was perfect for taking older retro B&W pics.... I have a few links to the history of these items....but what it the "going rate"?....where could I buy a black AP body.....or an asahiflex?

07-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Blue...I missed out on a perfect one for 350... (Still kicking myself). I'd like to hook up to the market that has the rares....and the folks that know them. Form example...I have 2 auto Tak 35mm 2.3's. They are very different...from the lettering on the ring (size of the ring)....which is better..more rare?
07-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I missed out on an original Asahiflex a while back thinking it was a IIa or IIb. As far as these lenses from this era, Woof is very knowledgeable. The 35mm f2.3 is available in relatively low numbers, I don't have a good handle on the variations since I have only had a good look at 2 of them.

Were you able to get the "Zebra" 55mm with your K? Of the AP, S, and K, I really like the K in part because of the zebra but also because it has the 1/1000 shutter speed. The S seems to be the most rare of the 3. There has been a couple of APs on fleabay. One seems in good shape but the matching lens has damage on the front ring. One looks like it would be a good user but the shutter needs repaired which means that both are over priced to me.

If either were black, it would change the ball game.

Edit: I just checked my notes on early cameras and I have seen K go between $175 to 508 with the latter being close to mint. This hold true for the Asahiflex, and AP as well. I haven't seen many S to gauge them. The black ones are rare but exist for all of them. Then there is the elusive Pentar bodies from South Africa.

07-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
where could I buy a black AP body...
On that one you'll have to outbid me.

Feel free to steal my Pentax K signature... been meaning to change the image at the end of the tag.

woof!

Last edited by woof; 07-19-2009 at 04:28 AM.
07-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The S seems to be the most rare of the 3. There has been a couple of APs on fleabay.
There were less than 5000 "S" units made.

A nice S with mechanical issues and a rare but somewhat tatty 55mm f/1.8 preset (first I've seen) went on eBay recently for ... well... see for yourself.

1957 ASAHI PENTAX S - Screw Mount - 1: 1.8 f =55 mm - eBay (item 280365966968 end time Jul-16-09 18:34:00 PDT)

woof!
07-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Were you able to get the "Zebra" 55mm with your K?
Yes....my K seems to be near mint and I'm amazed at how advanced those cameras are...

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
On that one you'll have to outbid me.

Feel free to steal my Pentax K signature... been meaning to change the image at the end of the tag.

woof!
Thanks woof!

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
There were less than 5000 "S" units made.

A nice S with mechanical issues and a rare but somewhat tatty 55mm f/1.8 preset (first I've seen) went on eBay recently for ... well... see for yourself.

1957 ASAHI PENTAX S - Screw Mount - 1: 1.8 f =55 mm - eBay (item 280365966968 end time Jul-16-09 18:34:00 PDT)

woof!
Yes....I bid on that one...but didn't get it....

07-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Banned

Ive been looking for a good Asahiflex myself as well. I really would love to have the fabled m73>m42 adapter that Pentax manufactured for a short period of time, but it seems to be an enigma of sorts.