Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #61

Original Poster
Oops. Should have included film info...

That was my first time with Arista's Legacy Pro 100. Essentially it is acros 100. Developed in diafine.

08-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #62

Original Poster
So as an update,

I picked up a cla-ed SPII from Eric. I am loving it. So loud compared to my rangefinders though! The shutter noise caught me off guard at first.

I just finished developing and scanning my first roll of film - great stuff.

Thanks again all.
08-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go shoot with a 6x7 for a while and then come back to the SPII. It will seem quite then.
08-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #64

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Go shoot with a 6x7 for a while and then come back to the SPII. It will seem quite then.
Its even louder?! Must sound like a car backfiring!

Here is a link to the photos from the first roll, in case anybody is interested.

08-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #65
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by david.elliott Quote
Its even louder?! Must sound like a car backfiring!

Here is a link to the photos from the first roll, in case anybody is interested.
its not as loud as people claim. nor is it as heavy and brutish. I know, I own one. but you have to kep the myth alive I suppose.
08-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its not as loud as people claim. nor is it as heavy and brutish. I know, I own one. but you have to kep the myth alive I suppose.
I own one as well. It has the most distinctive, but noticeable shutter sound of any Pentax I have. That part isn't a myth. I didn't say it was bad or a brute. I have considered selling off all my film cameras but it and perhaps the MZ3 . . .for all of 5 minutes.

Edit: Remember that David is a converted rangefinder guy.

Last edited by Blue; 08-24-2009 at 07:01 AM.
08-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #67

Original Poster
I own one as well. It has the most distinctive, but noticeable shutter sound of any Pentax I have. That part isn't a myth. I didn't say it was bad or a brute. I have considered selling off all my film cameras but it and perhaps the MZ3 . . .for all of 5 minutes.

Edit: Remember that David is a converted rangefinder guy.
I wouldnt necessarily say converted. I enjoy my rangefinders, and now I enjoy using my first SLR.

The rangefinders are certainly significantly quieter than the spii.

On the other hand, my rollei 35 is significantly quieter than my rangefinders.
08-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #68
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by david.elliott Quote
I wouldnt necessarily say converted. I enjoy my rangefinders, and now I enjoy using my first SLR.

The rangefinders are certainly significantly quieter than the spii.

On the other hand, my rollei 35 is significantly quieter than my rangefinders.
ive never really dealt with any 'high end' rangefinders, but my Petri's (this includes the color35) are both louder than my SV or Spotmatic in total operation. the mirror operation on an SLR may be loud but only counts for a part of the operation when taking a photo.... and the quite loud and distinctive 'clunk' of the film advance lever on a Petri is, well.... loud. on any of my Pentax film SLR's, its very quiet whether I advance quickly or slowly. this negates the 'quiet' advantage of a rangefinder in a number of situations. of course we are only talking of a Petri. and if it isn't Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander or Nikon it isn't a 'proper' rangefinder right? of course none of this matters on the street, which is where rangefinders are supposed to be king. the place in which I say my MX can still trump a Leica M.

08-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #69

Original Poster
ive never really dealt with any 'high end' rangefinders, but my Petri's (this includes the color35) are both louder than my SV or Spotmatic in total operation. the mirror operation on an SLR may be loud but only counts for a part of the operation when taking a photo.... and the quite loud and distinctive 'clunk' of the film advance lever on a Petri is, well.... loud. on any of my Pentax film SLR's, its very quiet whether I advance quickly or slowly. this negates the 'quiet' advantage of a rangefinder in a number of situations. of course we are only talking of a Petri. and if it isn't Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander or Nikon it isn't a 'proper' rangefinder right? of course none of this matters on the street, which is where rangefinders are supposed to be king. the place in which I say my MX can still trump a Leica M.
Rangefinders are rangefinders, whether high-end or not in my opinion.

I should have been more specific in my prior post. Some rangefinders are louder than others. I own a voigtlander bessa r, and a r3m.

Of course, there are cloth leaf shutter slr cameras out there that are very very quiet too.
08-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #70
Site Supporter

I don't really have a rangefinder unless you count the Argus C4 and Ricoh Five One Nine.
08-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #71
Banned

I don't really have a rangefinder unless you count the Argus C4 and Ricoh Five One Nine.
the Five One Nine is a really nice camera. the Argus... not so much.
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #72
Site Supporter

the Five One Nine is a really nice camera. the Argus... not so much.
The C4 is definitely an improvement over the C3 in looks and ergonomics. Most people go after the Ricoh 500 rather than the five one nine. However, the later is an improvement over the 500 but probably not as much as the C4 is over the C3.

They are part of my working collection. I opted to go after the "best" from Argus and Ricoh for the period rather than a series of stuff from one maker.