Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,690
And my SP1000 is still going as well as the day I bought it.
Needless to say, it is not for sale

07-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,156
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
And my SP1000 is still going as well as the day I bought it.
Needless to say, it is not for sale
I bought my SP1000 also in1976. It has taken quite a beating through the years but still works also.
07-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,690
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I bought my SP1000 also in1976. It has taken quite a beating through the years but still works also.
I wonder if our K10Ds will still be going as well in 33 or 34 years from now. Trouble is I don't think I'll still be around to find out.
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
What's the big deal, K-X?? in '77 Pentax introduced three new cameras, and a brand new mount.

09-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What's the big deal, K-X?? in '77 Pentax introduced three new cameras, and a brand new mount.
Never underestimate hype Nesster. I must admit, the fire engine red in addition to white is interesting.
09-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,862
Tribute or ???

Pentax resurrecting the model names of their classic film cameras for their DSLRs seems like a cynical marketing ploy to me.

Chris
09-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Pentax resurrecting the model names of their classic film cameras for their DSLRs seems like a cynical marketing ploy to me.

Chris
As long as Legacy glass will work on the new models, I don't see a problem with this. It is their part of history to play on the nostalgic side of things. I can see the comparison in the line up of the Km to the K-m and the KX to the K-x so they didn't drop the ball. If they used these names on a rebadged P&S, it would be a different story. In the end, I wonder how many people that bought a K-m or K2000 knew about the Km and likewise with the K-x and Kx.
09-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I agree, I love using my K2 but the ASA ring is painful at best. If the K2 had the regular ASA dial like on a KX, then it would be almost perfect.
They are mechanical ART!! The K2, especially, just looks right.

The secret to the ASA ring (at least on the copies I have owned that were serviced by Eric) is to make sure the Exposure Compensation is exactly at 1x and very gently depress the release until it clicks.

It is indeed fiddly. But it works.


Or just use the same ASA film all the time.

09-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Or just use the same ASA film all the time.
Simple: for the price of a dSLR, you can have one body for each film speed.
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Simple: for the price of a dSLR, you can have one body for each film speed.
K2 Manual Film ISO Speed 8 ~ 6400 ASA

That's a Lot 'O Bodies

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2009 at 01:16 PM.
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,342
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They are mechanical ART!! The K2, especially, just looks right.

The secret to the ASA ring (at least on the copies I have owned that were serviced by Eric) is to make sure the Exposure Compensation is exactly at 1x and very gently depress the release until it clicks.

It is indeed fiddly. But it works.


Or just use the same ASA film all the time.
I’ve had my K2 now for about 10 months and I’m starting to get used to the ASA ring.
You are right, it doesn’t bother me so much any more.

I never thought I say it, but I’m liking the K2 better than my old KX!
(The KX is on the way back from Eric’s, so I’m not sure on how to break the news when it gets home)

The K2’s shutter, the whole film advance system, meter sensitivity, mirror lockup are all better than the KX. Impressive camera!

Phil.
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,434
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Iíve had my K2 now for about 10 months and Iím starting to get used to the ASA ring.
You are right, it doesnít bother me so much any more.

I never thought I say it, but Iím liking the K2 better than my old KX!
(The KX is on the way back from Ericís, so Iím not sure on how to break the news when it gets home)

The K2ís shutter, the whole film advance system, meter sensitivity, mirror lockup are all better than the KX. Impressive camera!

Phil.
Phil: I also have had my head turned a bit. I've started using my (new to me) K2 almost exclusively when shooting film if only for the split-image focusing screen. The aesthetics of the camera just add to the experience.

When the leaves turn here (about 2 weeks) I plan to take my wife and my K2 for a scenic drive with the Kodachrome. Maybe the KX will come along to keep us company - 72 shots is a lot, though, for one day.
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,342
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Phil: I also have had my head turned a bit. I've started using my (new to me) K2 almost exclusively when shooting film if only for the split-image focusing screen. The aesthetics of the camera just add to the experience.

When the leaves turn here (about 2 weeks) I plan to take my wife and my K2 for a scenic drive with the Kodachrome. Maybe the KX will come along to keep us company - 72 shots is a lot, though, for one day.
Yes the fall colours, I wish we had something similar on the west coast.

Have fun, sounds like a great idea for some “Kodak moments”!

Phil.
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
The K2 was in part derived from the 1966 prototype of the Pentax Metalica. The K2 is differs from the KX and other K series by having the metallic vertical run electronic shutter hence Metalica. The KX shutter is rubberized silk. Ironically, the M series had the same type of shutter as the K2 except for the MX which was rubberized silk. The LX had horizontal run titanium shutters.

Edit: The 1966 Metalica II had a bayonet mount as well.

Last edited by Blue; 09-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,342
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The K2 was in part derived from the 1966 prototype of the Pentax Metalica. The K2 is differs from the KX and other K series by having the metallic vertical run electronic shutter hence Metalica. The KX shutter is rubberized silk. Ironically, the M series had the same type of shutter as the K2 except for the MX which was rubberized silk. The LX had horizontal run titanium shutters.

Edit: The 1966 Metalica II had a bayonet mount as well.

Interesting Blue, thanks for the info. I had not heard about this prototype before. I also was not aware Pentax had developed the bayonet mount that early.

Great name for a camera body, ďMetalicaĒ, a Pentax camera for ďheadbangersĒ!!

Thanks, Phil.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ad, asahi, cameras, honeywell, page, pages, pentax, spotmatic
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
error? page/go to page broke? Nass Site Suggestions and Help 7 10-01-2009 02:52 PM
The incredible Pentax KX (1976) Nesster Pentax Film SLR Discussion 49 09-19-2009 06:59 PM
What cameras cost in 1976 Nesster Pentax Film SLR Discussion 21 08-04-2009 07:54 PM
Will K1000 diopter work on Spotties? Ira Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 03-16-2009 07:24 PM
Suggestion Page number listings for multi-page threads alohadave Site Suggestions and Help 8 08-14-2008 06:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top