Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And my SP1000 is still going as well as the day I bought it.
Needless to say, it is not for sale

07-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
And my SP1000 is still going as well as the day I bought it.
Needless to say, it is not for sale
I bought my SP1000 also in1976. It has taken quite a beating through the years but still works also.
07-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I bought my SP1000 also in1976. It has taken quite a beating through the years but still works also.
I wonder if our K10Ds will still be going as well in 33 or 34 years from now. Trouble is I don't think I'll still be around to find out.
09-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What's the big deal, K-X?? in '77 Pentax introduced three new cameras, and a brand new mount.

09-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What's the big deal, K-X?? in '77 Pentax introduced three new cameras, and a brand new mount.
Never underestimate hype Nesster. I must admit, the fire engine red in addition to white is interesting.
09-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tribute or ???

Pentax resurrecting the model names of their classic film cameras for their DSLRs seems like a cynical marketing ploy to me.

Chris
09-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Pentax resurrecting the model names of their classic film cameras for their DSLRs seems like a cynical marketing ploy to me.

Chris
As long as Legacy glass will work on the new models, I don't see a problem with this. It is their part of history to play on the nostalgic side of things. I can see the comparison in the line up of the Km to the K-m and the KX to the K-x so they didn't drop the ball. If they used these names on a rebadged P&S, it would be a different story. In the end, I wonder how many people that bought a K-m or K2000 knew about the Km and likewise with the K-x and Kx.

09-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I agree, I love using my K2 but the ASA ring is painful at best. If the K2 had the regular ASA dial like on a KX, then it would be almost perfect.
They are mechanical ART!! The K2, especially, just looks right.

The secret to the ASA ring (at least on the copies I have owned that were serviced by Eric) is to make sure the Exposure Compensation is exactly at 1x and very gently depress the release until it clicks.

It is indeed fiddly. But it works.

Or just use the same ASA film all the time.
09-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Simple: for the price of a dSLR, you can have one body for each film speed.
09-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Simple: for the price of a dSLR, you can have one body for each film speed.
K2 Manual Film ISO Speed 8 ~ 6400 ASA

That's a Lot 'O Bodies

Last edited by monochrome; 09-20-2009 at 01:16 PM.
09-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are mechanical ART!! The K2, especially, just looks right.

The secret to the ASA ring (at least on the copies I have owned that were serviced by Eric) is to make sure the Exposure Compensation is exactly at 1x and very gently depress the release until it clicks.

It is indeed fiddly. But it works.

I’ve had my K2 now for about 10 months and I’m starting to get used to the ASA ring.
You are right, it doesn’t bother me so much any more.

I never thought I say it, but I’m liking the K2 better than my old KX!
(The KX is on the way back from Eric’s, so I’m not sure on how to break the news when it gets home)

The K2’s shutter, the whole film advance system, meter sensitivity, mirror lockup are all better than the KX. Impressive camera!

Phil.
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I’ve had my K2 now for about 10 months and I’m starting to get used to the ASA ring.
You are right, it doesn’t bother me so much any more.

I never thought I say it, but I’m liking the K2 better than my old KX!
(The KX is on the way back from Eric’s, so I’m not sure on how to break the news when it gets home)

The K2’s shutter, the whole film advance system, meter sensitivity, mirror lockup are all better than the KX. Impressive camera!

Phil.
Phil: I also have had my head turned a bit. I've started using my (new to me) K2 almost exclusively when shooting film if only for the split-image focusing screen. The aesthetics of the camera just add to the experience.

When the leaves turn here (about 2 weeks) I plan to take my wife and my K2 for a scenic drive with the Kodachrome. Maybe the KX will come along to keep us company - 72 shots is a lot, though, for one day.
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phil: I also have had my head turned a bit. I've started using my (new to me) K2 almost exclusively when shooting film if only for the split-image focusing screen. The aesthetics of the camera just add to the experience.

When the leaves turn here (about 2 weeks) I plan to take my wife and my K2 for a scenic drive with the Kodachrome. Maybe the KX will come along to keep us company - 72 shots is a lot, though, for one day.
Yes the fall colours, I wish we had something similar on the west coast.

Have fun, sounds like a great idea for some “Kodak moments”!

Phil.
09-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter

The K2 was in part derived from the 1966 prototype of the Pentax Metalica. The K2 is differs from the KX and other K series by having the metallic vertical run electronic shutter hence Metalica. The KX shutter is rubberized silk. Ironically, the M series had the same type of shutter as the K2 except for the MX which was rubberized silk. The LX had horizontal run titanium shutters.

Edit: The 1966 Metalica II had a bayonet mount as well.

Last edited by Blue; 09-20-2009 at 04:03 PM.
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The K2 was in part derived from the 1966 prototype of the Pentax Metalica. The K2 is differs from the KX and other K series by having the metallic vertical run electronic shutter hence Metalica. The KX shutter is rubberized silk. Ironically, the M series had the same type of shutter as the K2 except for the MX which was rubberized silk. The LX had horizontal run titanium shutters.

Edit: The 1966 Metalica II had a bayonet mount as well.

Interesting Blue, thanks for the info. I had not heard about this prototype before. I also was not aware Pentax had developed the bayonet mount that early.

Great name for a camera body, “Metalica”, a Pentax camera for “headbangers”!!

Thanks, Phil.