Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Pentax film camera does this case belong to?

I got this Pentax camera case when I bought my last KX body. I know it is not for a K series camera, as they are all black. It also looks way too big for a M series body. This case is close in size to my KX and K2 ones, so it could be for a Spotmatic?

Anyone have any ideas as to which Pentax camera the case belongs to?

Thanks, Phil.

07-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the tripod screw and the texture of the leatherette I'm guessing older than newer.
07-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like a slight visual variation of the standard K or Spotmatic case. ES or ESll?
07-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #4

It's not a Spotmatic case. My origianal 1970 case is stitched all the way around the front of the snout. I don't beleive any of the screw mount bodies came with a case like that. My guess is that this belongs to a K mount body of some kind. I have a K1000 in a case like this. But I didn't buy either of them new so I can't say for sure. The K1000, KM, KX, and K2 all have the Spotmatic sized bodies. I have three of the four. Odd thing is that it's tough to force a SP case onto a K camera. The tripod screw doesn't seem to be in exactly the same place as on the screw mount bodies.
Vern

07-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Banned

im also going to guess late spotmatic or K series. Pentax did have some soft cases for bodies and some accessories that had the letters painted white. subsequently, it could have been hand painted. does it look like it might have been?
07-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it fits the K series bodies, send it to me. I am looking for a case that fits better over the snout than the Spotmatic case I am currently using for my KX.

Steve
07-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have seen a KM-KX soft case listed for the KM and KX under the specs at the Dimitrov site. Whether that is it or not, I don't know.

07-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's the same as the case that came on my second hand K1000. I put it on my KX when I moved over to the new body. No idea when the case was made but the K series bodies were around for long enough that I wouldn't be surprised if it was made for either the K1000 or all 4 of the K bodies.
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-Series

I bought a secondhand Spotmatic with a case like that and I can assure you it is not a Spotmatic case as I have owned a few Spotmatics (and still do). That case belongs on a K-series camera. I am not sure which one but probably an early model, like KX, KM, etc.
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't the Spottie cases all have that little pewter eye-logo on the upper right shoulder of the front piece? I know mine do.

I's bet that is a K series case.
07-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For years the K1000 was sold with the A50/2 lens; it might fit that.
I don't remember the paint on the embossed lettering though...

Chris
07-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For years the K1000 was sold with the A50/2 lens; it might fit that.
I don't remember the paint on the embossed lettering though...

Chris
Thanks to all for replying.

I think "ChrisPlatt's" & "Steinback's" idea that it’s for a late model K1000 and a very small prime like an A or M50/2 & A or M50/1.7 is the closest.

The case would also fit a Spotmatic body, but the Takumar lenses would be too big to close the front cover, the same issue I had with my KX. The smallest lens I have is the K24/2.8 and I was close to being able to close the front cover on a KX.

Phil
07-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Didn't the Spottie cases all have that little pewter eye-logo on the upper right shoulder of the front piece? I know mine do.

I's bet that is a K series case.
Some of them did and some of them didn't. I have examples of them with it and without. The 60s early 70s vintage cases that don't have it seem to be broader in the shoulders to perhaps accommodate a pre-spottie with external meter but haven't verified that since I don't have an external meter. However, I have one that came with a Spot F new that doesn't have the pewter thing and one that came with an H3 that doesn't have the pewter thing. I also have one with the pewter thing but don't know what body it was sold with.
07-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some of them did and some of them didn't. I have examples of them with it and without. The 60s early 70s vintage cases that don't have it seem to be broader in the shoulders to perhaps accommodate a pre-spottie with external meter but haven't verified that since I don't have an external meter. However, I have one that came with a Spot F new that doesn't have the pewter thing and one that came with an H3 that doesn't have the pewter thing. I also have one with the pewter thing but don't know what body it was sold with.
I have two with the crown/eye thing. They have the "fitted" snout and were probably made for some version of the Spotmatic. I know that they don't fit the SV because I bought the second one for the "SightSeeing Screwmount" when I had it. (The SV body is the same width and depth as the Spottie, but not as tall at the shoulders. The case interfered with the film wind.) I also know that they are work with the KX, KM, and K1000 except that the fit is a little tight over the lens.

I have seen a case made for the sit-on-top meter that has the crown/eye. It differs from the regular case by having sort of a pressed hump on the top that make the case look sort of clumsy.

What I would REALLY like to have is one of the brown hard-leather cases! Ha! Ha!

Steve

(My little crown/eye thingies look more like some sort of light brass with an applied patina rather than pewter...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-24-2009 at 10:13 PM.
07-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
Banned

Pentax used that logo on cases all the way into the 80's. the special front piece to the case for my ME F (for covering the AF zoom) has the eye/crown logo.