Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #1

KX Meter Needle

I just purchased used KX, and have a question. After having the camera foam seals replaced, I notice, when looking in the viewfinder, that my meter needle does not go all the way back up above the 1000 when it's in the "off" position....It seems to start in the 500 or-so range when off... Does this matter? It still moves and reacts to different light. And the battery "check" (little black button) seems to make it move down.

I recall that the light meter goes all the way back up in the off position...? This right? Anyone have the instruction manual? Or know if this is a problem, or if it matters?

Thanks,

cadiddy

07-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked my two KXs and the black needle does go above 1000 when the exposure meter is turned off.

When you press the battery check button the black needle should go to 125 or lower, indicating there is enough capacity. Have you tried new batteries?

You may want to get the metering system checked and adjusted. Eric is the CLA expert, link below:

http://pentaxs.com/index.html

Here is a link to a KX manual:

http://www.pentax.ca/pdf/o_manuals/om_KX_e.pdf

Enjoy your new camera, it's a great classic K series body!

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 07-25-2009 at 10:03 AM.
07-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As gofour3 noted, the needle should return to above the 1000 mark when the meter is turned off. You should be able to see it "home in" when you nest the film advance lever back towards the body to turn off the meter.
07-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks

anyone have a history of similar problem with this? Thanks, gofour3! I will contact Eric. What does a typical meter test and repair cost, I wonder?

07-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cadiddy Quote
anyone have a history of similar problem with this? Thanks, gofour3! I will contact Eric. What does a typical meter test and repair cost, I wonder?
I would e-mail Eric and tell him the problem you are having, he can give you a rough estimate. If you already had the seals replaced, then the CLA should be cheaper.

Phil.
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks, Phil. will do. Sounds like he runs a pretty reputable shop? I assume he fixes all that can be fixed/returned to "as new" when he has it opened up?? also seems like his fees are reasonable.
07-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cadiddy Quote
thanks, Phil. will do. Sounds like he runs a pretty reputable shop? I assume he fixes all that can be fixed/returned to "as new" when he has it opened up?? also seems like his fees are reasonable.
Absolutley - many here will enthusiastically support the quality of his work and integrity of his business.

Here is a link to the Forum External Links and Resources for Camera Repair and Service, where Eric is reviewed Pentax Forums Camera Repair and Service