Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
any chance to save this ME?

i took several shoot.. seems to me.. something wrong..

i got these kinda pictures..

did i do something wrong or its just the camera suffer something..

--

07-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster

07-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Needs a shutter lube and adjustment--send it to Eric!

Home
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

throw it out ... get a ME Super instead

07-25-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. Saveable. But ME Supers are so cheap right now, you may as well get one and spend that service money on one of those, or something else upgradey, and get the manual control.
07-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Banned

I would normally suggest the every incredible Eric Hendrickson. and if you really want this particular ME then I will say send it to him: Home

otherwise I agree with Ratmagiclady, get yourself another ME or an ME Super and you could have a working camera much cheaper. of course, unless you can purchase a body that has already been recently CLA'd you may end up with a clunker and need to send it to Eric anyway... I make it a point to budget in the cost of a CLA on every camera body I purchase unless the seller can prove it has been CLA'd. it may be a steep price just to use film, but look at it as an investment, because once CLA'd you will possibly have 10-20 years or more service out of the camera.
07-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

fearview is out in Indonesia... just the shipping to Erik alone will cost many ME's
07-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
fearview is out in Indonesia... just the shipping to Erik alone will cost many ME's
didn't look at that. but it might possibly still be worth it to have it CLA'd. especially when one considers the fact that you could buy another camera and end up with something else needing fixing. maybe a service within Indonesia? if one exists.

07-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
didn't look at that. but it might possibly still be worth it to have it CLA'd. especially when one considers the fact that you could buy another camera and end up with something else needing fixing. maybe a service within Indonesia? if one exists.
We could almost run an adoption service from over here, where it'd probably be cheapest to have some USA Pentaxians check over some of these bodies-that-are-cheap-here and send our overseas friends ones that are runnable. Buying something off the Marketplace here might be a good way to go, actually. Most of the posters here can be trusted to know something works or say how it may not, if they're selling anything. .
07-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

thanks for the responses. oke i understand, i might save it or find the new one and keep this as a part ....i got this beaten up ME about 10 bucks.. i grab it because the meter still works... since not so many people live here can save a metering instrumen in a old camera .. few days ago i running a test shoot with two rolls of film.. too many maybe..

but not everytime she acting like that.. severel of the frame seems ok..

what actually happens?

i just curious with the logics of this mechanical disaster....

sarah. SMCP- K 50 f/1.2
07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
arrrgghh!!

SMC Takumar 35 f/2
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

There's a good chance there may be a lubrication problem involved: it looks like one of the shutter curtains is sticky or slow, possibly some lube has either it's gone gummy, gone away to some extent, or gotten grit or moisture in it. Whatever the cause, it looks like something that's making one of the shutter curtains hang up or knocked them out of synch.

The effect would seem to be varying with what shutter speed the camera chooses or how bad the sticking is at any given moment.

How a shutter like that normally works is that there are two curtains, each made up of some little metal blades. They run in the up-and-down direction: with the shutter cocked, they start with the edges together: when the shutter is fired, first one curtain opens, crossing the frame, and then after the proper time, the second one follows it to close up again. (With a faster shutter speed they'll in fact both be in motion at once, making a slit that crosses the frame so that it all gets exposed for the right length of time.) When you recock the shutter, they both move together, (closed all the time) to where they started.

If things get sticky and/ or out of synch, you can have times as they cross the frame where there is too much of an opening or none at all, resulting in bands like you see .
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@ratmagiclady

wow.. thank you.. even the one who didnt understand at all about how the curtains of camera works.. like me

almost can imagine why the problem happened.. by the explanation above..

thank you.. thank you..

tomorrow ill go to some a local camera repairment and try explain them.. the problem ..and maybe if i could..to explain em directly..what might the cause.. ill copy it from yours..
07-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@ratmagiclady

wow.. thank you.. even the one who didnt understand at all about how the curtains of camera works.. like me

almost can imagine why the problem happened.. by the explanation above..

thank you.. thank you..

tomorrow ill go to some a local camera repairment and try explain them.. the problem ..and maybe if i could..to explain em directly..what might the cause.. ill copy it from yours..
If you show them the images you got, you won't need to explain to them, I'm sure. (It'd help them diagnose) That camera needs shutter service, is what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if they do suggest a replacement, though. Where there's a bright band surrounded by dark ones, it seems the shutter curtains are actually banging against each other and bouncing.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-26-2009 at 02:46 PM.