Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Those shots are seriously good. Really like the second one. Was it easy to make the two frame mosaic ?
You keep the shutterspeed in the 2 minutes range, so it will not turn into trails, but be spots ?

This is where a built of the prototype K 20/1.4 AL lens, would be awesome :
K 20/1.4 AL

The roumour of a 35/1.4 would also be welcome, I guess

Wim had a nice digital shot, here :
Damaraland (Namibia): star trails (1 img) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Thank you. These are not tripod shots. The first two shots were taken with the camera riding piggyback on my telescope. The telescope is equatorial aligned and tracks the stars as they (actually the Earth's rotation is causing the apparent motion) move across the sky. The trees are slightly blurred as a result. I would rarther have a slightly blurred landscape instead of stars. The cameras were set to "B" and exposed manually.

As you pointed out, a fast wide angle lens, say 35mm or even the wonderful 20mm would allow a longer exposure without apparent trailing of either stars or landscape in relatively short exposures.

I used Autostitch to mosaic the two frames. It's easy and the program is free. Just be sure to overlap at least 20 % and all frames must be taken from the same position.

Regards,

Jim

07-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #17
Forum Member

I would loose my mind with a 20/1.4. It is my ideal lens.
08-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Ektar 100 Test

I finally got around to testing Kodak's new Ektar 100 color negative film.

My test incorporated a 50mm lens set at f/2.8 and a 30 minute exposure. I shot the darkest part of the sky, directly overhead in the constellation Cygnus. This area has enough hydrogen Alpha to test this films sensitivity to emission nebulae.

30 minutes is a long time for f/2.8, but this result is in line with other 100 speed films in the reciprocity category.

This image still shows a little green cast that was present in the original scan. I adjusted green levels to rid most of it, so it is possible to use this film for astrophotography.

I hope this satisfies any curiosity others may have about this film.