Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

LX FB-1/FC-1 Action Eyepiece?

Since I got my LX I have been eyeing the FB-1/FC-1 Action Eyepiece.
It looks like it would be very convenient for general photography.

Has anyone here used the LX with this finder? If so your review please.

TIA,
Chris

P.S. - Mods, please don't send this thread to die in Camera and Studio Accessories...

07-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I quite like the LX finddr system. It's one of the things that attracted me to the LX system. The action finder is good with longer lenses, not so good with shorter ones. Anything wider than 50mm lens increasingly harder to accurately focus.
OTOH, with something in the 85mm range or longer, it's a great finder. There is a little eyepiece that can go onto the finder base that is better suited to wide angle lenses, so Pentax must have realized at the time that the action eyepiece wasn't the best.
Unfortunately, because it pints off the camera at a 45 angle, it isn't the best for verticles. The action eyepiece is a joy to use, whenter horizontally or vertically, and can also be rotated to allow viewing from above (in horizontal) or from beside (camera in verticle).
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It is a very versatile combination in many situations (ie. shoot at ground level), but the reduced magnification makes the viewfinder smaller and a bit dimmer. It's good to have for sure, and fun to play with
08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's really intended for telephotos, anyway ("action" usually isn't something you photograph with wide angles, as that would put you "too close to the action" - sorry). I would also say you'd want to use it with your camera/lens mounted on a tripod, as otherwise you have additional camera shake introduced by not holding it close to your body (ideal setup for swinging a tele around on a Gimbal mount, for example). The ability to look into it from odd angles and from some distance may also help in tight/awkward positions.

Once you have the System Base, of course, you'll also want the Magnifier Eyepiece and the Normal Eyepiece just to round out the collection.

08-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
It's a good combination as the name suggests for action, as it does allow the whole viewfinder to seen cleary while not up close to the eye.

The down side is because the viewfinder image is smaller, you need good young eyes to focus, I changed my focusing screen to an all prism version for fast lenses and that certainly helped.
08-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good combo for scenics - also the mag eye piece is good for macro. Forgot the designation.