Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Getting a Pentax MX - Help!

I figure that there must be a few MX owners in this forum, so I hope I'm in the right place. I just outbid zero competitors at fleabay for a Pentax MX (with Sigma Lens). Supposing the camera works (after all, the seller listed it as Excellent plus, in accordance with the "Shutterbug rating system." ), I want to make sure that I get the right button type batteries for it.

I understand that the MX uses Varta V76PX, which replaces the discontinued SR44 silver/oxide photo batteries.

Can anyone here help me confirm if this is the correct choice of hard to find battery for an MX? I noticed that the expiration date on the V76PX advertised in ebay is June 2008, which seems rather a short lifetime for new batteries. But maybe it's normal for button-type batteries.

Also, where can I find an owner's manual for a Pentax MX? My other Pentax is a different animal, a ZX-M.

Your hard earned knowledge will be highly appreciated. After all this is the forum where I got the idea to buy an XM!

05-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by irminsul Quote
After all this is the forum where I got the idea to buy an XM!

Oops, should have previewed this post. Of course, I meant MX...
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Manual

irminsul,

Sorry I can't help you on the batteries, but you can download a pdf of the manual: Here is the link to the MX Manual. Its not the best quality but its better than nothing. Good Luck.
05-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irminsul Quote
Oops, should have previewed this post. Of course, I meant MX...
Unlike another well-known, oft-used forum, you can go back and edit your posts here and fix anything you don't like.

I'll have to check my batteries tonight at home. However, those batteries last pretty much 'forever'. The absolute only thing they are used for is the light metering system. If your battery goes south, you can still use the camera. Of course, you will need to have an external light meter or understand basic exposure theory, (Rule of 16). You can get a manual from:

Pentax Imaging - Home

On the upper left, choose:

Customer Care & Support/Manuals & Literature/Free Download of Owner Manuals/Cameras/Film SLR/Go

Manuals listed alphabetically by model number. The MX manual is about 1/3 the
way down the page.

05-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. Volosong, I must have overlooked the edit link. Good to know. Please do look up those batteries, I would appreciate it -- so many similar ones to choose from that one can easily make a mistake.
05-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Irminsul

I recently purchased an MX as well. I used batteries designated as A76. I think the ones I bought were alkaline. I believe either these or the silver-oxide work as long as they are the right voltage. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. If not is there a general preference for silver-oide over alkaline. The meter seems to function fine with the A76 alkaline batteries I installed.

I also noticed that there are hearing aid batteries such as Energizers size 675 that are the same as the A76's. I also have an ME super which takes the same size batteries as the MX. The ME super needs batteries to function properly so the hearing aid pack might be cheaper in the long run if I use it often. Though with the MX in hand the ME super may not get much use.
05-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S76 or A76 batteries will work. S76 lasts longer (years).
05-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
The type that I mentioned as originally recommended is Varta V76PX (SR44) silver/oxide photo battery. It's advertised as working for a range of Pentax manuals, ME and MX included. I guess that the S76 is a similar and perhaps better option. Thank you all for the knowledgeable replies. I'm glad to hear that they're such long lasting batteries. I can't wait to start taking photos with the MX. Part of the fun will be to enjoy the puzzled & condescending reaction of some fellow photographers of my acquaintance, DSLR-chic fanatics all of them. Nyaah ha haa....

05-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

MS76 - Silver Oxide Cell

Just took my MX out of its plastic storage bag, removed the winder, and removed the battery cover. The writing on the batteries say,

MS76
Silver Oxide Cell

And of course, a little plus sign to indicate the positive side of the battery. Can't ascertain the manufacture of the batteries.

Put the batteries back in, reattached the winder, unlocked the shutter, and half pressed the shutter release. By golly! After two plus years in storage, those batteries still take a light reading. Turn the aperture and those little LEDs light up from underexposure to overexposure. What a machine! I was going to take pictures tomorrow to put the thing on eBay. Maybe I better go out and purchase some black & white film instead. That thing appears like it just came from the factory and looks so cute with the M series 40/2.8 pancake attached.

I haven't use the MX since getting my first *istDS over two years ago. Maybe I need to just forget about trying different procedure to convert digital color images to black&white and just use black&white film in the MX.
05-09-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Ole with the follow up.

Simple conclusion the S76 are silver-oxide. The A76 alkaline. My next set will be S76's.

Irminsul it looks like Energizer's photo battery is now designated EPX76 which is silver-oxide that replaces the A76, S76 and the SR44.

I have taken the MX out and yes you do get some funny stares. I was lucky I found a black MX with an M 50 f1.7 for a really good price. The lens is in EX+ condition. The body shows some normal brassing but is in EX shape as well. I have the center microprism focus screen. There is something very simple and basic about it that is appealing. I had never looked thru an MX viewfinder before and was amazed not only by the brightness but the fact there is the small window to view the f-stop right from the aperture ring on the lens. This is just pure genius on Pentax's part as much as it is a pleasure.
05-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Steven you should hold onto the MX.

I think they compliment digital very well. The size is just right to be able to shoot digital and film at the same time. The MX can use all the same manual lenses you may already have for the digital body.

Plus the fact you can see shutter speed, aperture and exposure right in the viewfinder is priceless for an all analogue camera.

Someone else may confirm this but it might be a good idea to remove the batteries if you are storing it for extended periods of time. I have seen a Spotamtic that the battery ended up oxidizing green stuff in the battery chamber.
05-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Someone else may confirm this but it might be a good idea to remove the batteries if you are storing it for extended periods of time. I have seen a Spotamtic that the battery ended up oxidizing green stuff in the battery chamber.
Yep. It's a good rule of thumb for most electronics, but I've only ever seen it happen with regular alkaline batteries like AA, AAA, D, etc. Old batteries will sometimes leak battery acid, which will obviously corrode the battery contacts.
05-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

When I got my MX some 2 years ago I took out the old dead batteries and bought the ones that where the right size and voltage. LR44H is the code on my batteries, works great in both the MX, KX and P30 for all I've tested. And not at all hard to find, local well sorted store had them. Posting some info on them and which other types that appear to work as well.

* Chemistry: Alkaline
* Dimensions: 11.6 X 5.4 (Dia x Ht. MM)
* Volts: 1.5
* mAh: 120
* Replaces: Eveready A76 Vinnic: L1154 Renata LR44 Duracell LR44 Varta V13GA Maxell/Toshiba LR44,LR44H Other # SG13,GP76,AG13, IEC LR44
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #14

Volosong,

I have an MX with a Pentax 100mm F2.8 attached that my father gave to me years ago. I love your thought of just going out and getting B&W film to shoot with. The only challenge then is where to get it processed. I have tried the Kodak C41 B&W film that you can take to any of the one hour places and have always been disappointed. I like the old Tri-X pan B&W filem
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #15

Volosong,

I have an MX with a Pentax 100mm F2.8 attached that my father gave to me years ago. I love your thought of just going out and getting B&W film to shoot with. The only challenge then is where to get it processed. I have tried the Kodak C41 B&W film that you can take to any of the one hour places and have always been disappointed. I like the old Tri-X pan B&W film