Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax S1a 'bulb' shutter setting

I recently acquired an inexpensive S1a and had a question regarding its expected operation--it appears that the 'bulb' setting does not keep the shutter open while the shutter button remains pressed. Does it only stay open if a cable-release is used? I'm not a big user of 'bulb' but this surprised me a bit.

I was pleasantly surprised however to find that this very simple model will automatically stop down Auto-Takumars when shooting--there's a little plate that pushes that pin on the mount-side of the Taks. I am suspecting the shutter speeds may not be super accurate right now--unscientifically, the slow speeds seem a little too quick.

07-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I recently acquired an inexpensive S1a and had a question regarding its expected operation--it appears that the 'bulb' setting does not keep the shutter open while the shutter button remains pressed. Does it only stay open if a cable-release is used? I'm not a big user of 'bulb' but this surprised me a bit.

I was pleasantly surprised however to find that this very simple model will automatically stop down Auto-Takumars when shooting--there's a little plate that pushes that pin on the mount-side of the Taks. I am suspecting the shutter speeds may not be super accurate right now--unscientifically, the slow speeds seem a little too quick.
No, the bulb setting should hold the shutter open while the release held down. I'd expect slow speeds to be slow, unless the camera is "winding up" or capping. I tend to not believe the latter since capping usually occurs at high speeds. However, incorrect tensioning can result in erratic behavior. the lack of hold on "B" also seems to indicate some kind of issue that is likely related in some manner.

Too bad I can't handle it. I cannot describe to you what the difference is when they are capping but I know it when I feel/hear it...

It's worth a CLA. I think Eric will evaluate it for free. Home

woof!
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Eric did a CLA and an extra repair on my S1a and it's working beautifully. In case you aren't aware of it, there is one thing to check on your camera. If the latch is on the film door and the R on the rewind knob is green, your camera is pre-1964 and you should not use the SMC 50 1:1.4 lens. If the latch is on the camera body and the R is orange, it's post-1964 and ok to use the glass.

CW
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the orange 'R'--I had already read that before purchasing. Not that it matters right now since my only m42 normal lens is the f/2 that it came with.

I think the other problem resolved itself--I tried it again last night. The knob was probably not completely engaged as 'B'--it was probably *slightly* twisted towards the 1 second speed. If I twist it *a little* so that it's really 'B', it works as expected.

As for the 1/sec speed maybe being a little quick, I compared it to my MX by ear and it didn't seem super different so maybe it's my imagination, or maybe both are a little quick. I should probably compare against something with an electronic shutter.

As for it being worth a CLA, maybe it is, maybe it's not--for me. I have too many different bodies right now and don't see myself CLA'ing all of them. I need to play with them a bit to decide which ones I like best--and those would be better CLA candidates.

07-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Eric did a CLA and an extra repair on my S1a and it's working beautifully. In case you aren't aware of it, there is one thing to check on your camera. If the latch is on the film door and the R on the rewind knob is green, your camera is pre-1964 and you should not use the SMC 50 1:1.4 lens. If the latch is on the camera body and the R is orange, it's post-1964 and ok to use the glass.

CW

Just a note here, for the H3, this trend for the green and red/orange R seems to be just the opposite of the SV/S1a. I guess Asahi liked to keep everyone on there toes. However, I don't think it really matters with the H3 because they are probably more like the early SV anyway.
06-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote

CW

I have a question about this... I am hoping to win an S1a here in the next hour. Does this only apply to the SMC version of the 50 1.4? Can a Super Tak be used?

EDIT: I won it for the price of $9.99 plus $10 shipping !! weeeeeeeee

Last edited by Stratman; 06-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.
06-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Does this only apply to the SMC version of the 50 1.4? Can a Super Tak be used?
No and no. But again, that is ONLY if it is an early S1a. So make that:

"If the latch is on the film door and the R on the rewind knob is green, your camera is pre-1964 and you should not use ANY Takumar 50 1:1.4 lens."

woof!
06-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ahh, ok, I got it now, haha, from the photos on eBay, it looks like the "R" is orange, so I should be good to go, but i think I will start bidding on some S T 55 F2s so i can get the "correct" kit lens for it.....I have a 55 1.8, 28 3.5, 35 3.5 and S-M-C 200 f4 just waiting to be used with this thing !! Here is a link to it, it comes with a Focal 28mm lens, and is not in pristine condition, but it isn't beat all to hell either, well worth 10 bucks I would say....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360271894438

06-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Despite the orange R it's still best to look at the door latch. The rewind crank is a changeable part and could very well have been swapped over the last 40+ years. I have a late model SV that has the early model green R on the crank. The best way to determine is latch on the door=early model and latch on the body=late model.

Edit: Just looked at the pics on ebay and the latch seems to be on the body so that is a late model. Nice pickup for that price.

CW
06-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hopefully I'll get it by the weekend. Can't wait to run a roll of film through it, and see if I need to ship it off to Eric for a tune up...
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Recd. it Monday...In great shape..

This is the only real flaw I could find on it...a gouge where the slip on flash shoe rested.

A few shots with it.

07-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice, looks better than mine...and that should be a great lens too. I really like the looks of these cameras.
07-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Very nice, looks better than mine...and that should be a great lens too. I really like the looks of these cameras.
That's not the lens that came with it, it came with a Focal 28mm F2.8. I've had that Super Tak 35 for a while, it is a fine lens....