Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which K-Mount body to keep?

I have decided to thin the herd a bit. I don't shoot much film these days, so 3 nice bodies (in addition to a couple that I never intended to keep) is more than I need. I will keep my nice black Spotmatic for a screwmount body (and will probably shoot mostly B&W with it). I need to decide if I'm going to part with my mint black ME Super (not CLA'd, but works great) or my well-worn, but JUST CLA'd LX.

I imagine that I would use the camera mostly for street and informal shooting. Do I opt for that super-compact ME Super or the feature-rich LX? Would one work better with screwmount lenses (with the appropriate adapter of course) than the other?

I could keep both, but I have other gear buying addictions that won't allow it.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

07-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you are asking US?!

We, who seek the last and the best of the film cameras? We, who pick up an old body just to feel the precision of the controls and hear the passage of the shutter. We, who haunt Goodwill and yard sales searching for the forgotten box of Grampa's gear. What possible good advice could we give you?

Myself, I have become a veritable hoarder of things filmy. All I want is more, more, more... I was even looking at a 60s vintage Zenit (they do have their charm) for heaven's sake! Preserve me from the day when I have the money to start buying Leicas!

Steve

(Voigtländers, Leicas, and Feds...Oh! My!)
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think I'd definitely keep the LX, hands down. ME Supers are nice, but they just don't have the metering. Or LXeyness.

If you do want to sell the LX, gimme a few months!

But I wouldn't, really.

Then again, I'd probably keep the ME Super, too. I don't like my stable to be too small, (two film cameras in 100 percent running condition means two films without offloading) and the likes of an ME Super make a great backup. In Canon terms it's not unlike having an F-series and a smaller, lighter A-series on you, (which is what I did before I finally got some digital.) Though the respective Pentaxes are each smaller. I doubt I'd find the size of an LX in any way a deal-killer, but an ME Super is pretty much nothing to slip in a bag if you want to run a different film.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-28-2009 at 09:09 PM.
07-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No contest

<Sits on hands and mutters>

No, I really don't need an ME Super. If I buy another camera I will definitely be sleeping alone for at least the next three months!!!!

</Sits on hands and mutters>

Repeat ad nauseum

Seriously Adam, I'd keep the LX - nothing else in the film world compares

07-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Seems to me the Super would be a lot easier to find & a lot cheaper to replace down the road if you changed your mind. I would keep the LX.

Last edited by raymeedc; 07-28-2009 at 10:34 PM.
07-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Seems to the Super would be a lot easier to find & a lot cheaper to replace down the road if you changed your mind. I would keep the LX.
This is very sound logic.
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And you are asking US?!

We, who seek the last and the best of the film cameras? We, who pick up an old body just to feel the precision of the controls and hear the passage of the shutter. We, who haunt Goodwill and yard sales searching for the forgotten box of Grampa's gear. What possible good advice could we give you?

Myself, I have become a veritable hoarder of things filmy. All I want is more, more, more... I was even looking at a 60s vintage Zenit (they do have their charm) for heaven's sake! Preserve me from the day when I have the money to start buying Leicas!

Steve

(Voigtländers, Leicas, and Feds...Oh! My!)
My thoughts were very similar. Only with me its (Exaktas, Mirandas and Contaflexes . . Oh! My!) I must admit however that I have peaked at a few Voigtländers, Leicas and Feds (2s, 3s and 4s).

07-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep the LX.

And the ME Super.

Sell a pint of blood.

Then buy a K body of some type. KX or a K2.

What was the question?
07-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Only 3 bodies?
Unless you are strapped for cash I would take the batteries out of the ME Super, and put it in a Tupperware with a Silica Gel envelope.

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I have decided to thin the herd a bit. I don't shoot much film these days, so 3 nice bodies (in addition to a couple that I never intended to keep) is more than I need. I will keep my nice black Spotmatic for a screwmount body (and will probably shoot mostly B&W with it). I need to decide if I'm going to part with my mint black ME Super (not CLA'd, but works great) or my well-worn, but JUST CLA'd LX.

I imagine that I would use the camera mostly for street and informal shooting. Do I opt for that super-compact ME Super or the feature-rich LX? Would one work better with screwmount lenses (with the appropriate adapter of course) than the other?

I could keep both, but I have other gear buying addictions that won't allow it.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
07-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Let's see.... For M42 and PK mounts, I currently have:

- An SP II
- An SP F
- A Chinon Memotron II (really cool with 1/2000 sec shutter speed, aperture-priority auto exposure, viewfinder shutter)
- A Fujica ST701
- A Chinon CM4
- 2 K1000s
- An ME Super
- An MG
- An MX
- A SuperA
- A SuperProgram
- An LX
- A P30n
- 2 SP10s

And you ask for my advice as which one among the 3 bodies you should get rid of?

I also have a Pentax 110, 4 Nikons, a Minolta, and a few rangefinders.
07-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, Steve is right -- you guys are no help.

Ratmagiclady, you're right about the ME Super being SO compact -- I got a pancake 40 specifically for that body. What a tiny combo. BUT it still won't go in a pocket. If I have to have a camera strap anyway, why not a slightly larger camera (like the LX).

And SOldBear, I saw your bragging post on the haul you snagged recently for a pittance. With that kind of luck, I would have a closet full as well.
07-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gwen,

Replying to your post elsewhere:

Bottom line is that it just annoys me to have nice gear that I don't use. That's why I sold my OM system -- I have been using Pentax and I love the fact that I can use any lens on my film or digital k-mounts. I will shoot film occasionally for fun, so I don't "need" a pile of film bodies. Who knows...what do I want? The 31 limited would be nice...the 50-135 or the Tamron 70-200/2.8. OTOH, maybe a mountain bike or a canoe, or, or, or... Point is, I have my Spotmatic for my nostalgia camera. It's worth more to me to have than what I could get for it. I would like to keep one k-mount film camera so I can use whatever lens I want for 35mm, but for me at least, 2 is probably excessive.
07-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

get rid of the ME Super. if you want another one, there are so many on eBay, really there isn't much need to worry.
07-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter

My wife looked over my shoulder at this question, and said: "Asking that question in this crowd is like holding an AA meeting in a Brew Pub!."

BTW SOldBear, I pointed your post out to her and said, "See, I'm not bad."
07-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send me both, slowly walk away, nobody gets hurt
Seriously, the LX will be much harder to replace. I'd keep it not only for that but also you mentioned it's been recently CLAd so it should give you years of trouble free use. It also packs more features and it is built very strong.
Unless of course, you need the money (who doesn't). Then the choice is obvious.
BUT wait there's more: You only have 3? Don't be a slacker and get at least 15 others!

I know, I wasn't much help either.

Thanks,