Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
By no stretch of the imagination could one call having to remove your eye from the viewfinder and look all the way over
at the front of the camera to see a dial around the lens mount in order to set shutter speed natural or convenient.

Though clearly some Olympus fans got used to it IMO it is the most un-ergonomic design imaginable.

Chris
Yeah, neither shutter speed nor aperture were visible in the OM1's viewfinder. In manual mode, neither are visible in the OM2 either. Only in Auto (aperture priority) mode are the shutter speeds visible in the OM2 viewfinder but still no aperture readout. This is a carryover from the slightly more arcane way of determining exposure on the half frame Olympus Pen FT using it's through the lens metering.

10-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #47
Pentaxian

In those days, the store sellers had a lot of say. Much like the reviewers of today, we were most comfortable with the standard way of doing things. A standard shutter dial was easy to demo, and the ME / ME Super buttons (which were not my cup of tea) were a minor inconvenience that we felt was a modern progression like remote control - so we accepted it. The ring shutter dial on the Olympus tended to discourage us from taking it out to show customers unless asked to do so. I was big on bright viewfinders with full shutter and aperture info, so I went with Ricoh XR (we didn't even sell the brand), and Pentax lenses until I got an LX.
10-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Ricoh XR (we didn't even sell the brand), and Pentax lenses until I got an LX.
Yep, the Ricoh XR (I have the XR-2s and XR7) was definitely up there in terms of appropriate features and viewfinder display.

Steve
10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #49

Well if people are debating full info viewfinders lets throw Minolta into the mix then. I think the OP should check out the XD11. Similar size to the OMs but not as small as the MX. Large viewfinder with shutter speeds on the right with LEDs. Little window to see apertures. Shutter speed dial is on the top plate so it's not controversial (omg shutter speed ring on body what do i do???) and it's easy to turn with one finger, unlike the MX.

SR glass is cheaper for the most part. They take excellent pictures if you do your research and get the good ones and I think they look rather nice. Better than Pentax but not quite as pretty as OM.

10-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #50
Pentaxian

The XD series got a lot of respect in our shop, but it didn't translate into strong sales. By the time of the X-700/ X-500 /X-570 (last major offerings prior to AF Maxxum), you got the convergence of more-competitive Minolta pricing, much better ergonomics and lighter bodies, and most importantly - a far brighter viewfinder. The X-700 was the top seller in our shop for at least a couple years. Personally, my favorite was the X-570 - and that was the camera I sold most.

As for lenses, some of the Minolta mounts were very good, but they seemed to have a larger share of dogs than the rest of the major brands. We tended to match Tokina zooms to Minolta bodies (we were a major Tokina seller, and did not stock Tamron or Sigma).
10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Without a doubt the Minolta XD-11 was a groundbreaking model but it was not truly compact like the Olympus OM-1 or Pentax MX.
Like the OM-1 it too uses a now "dead" lens mount. Only the Pentax MX used lenses that can still be used without adapter on a modern DSLR.

Chris
10-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 1977 released XD-11 was the first SLR to incorporate shutter and aperture priority autoexposure as well as program mode - features not available on a Pentax until the Super Program released in 1983. The XD-11 was another body developed in collaboration with Leica giving them the R4. It didn't have MLU, TTL flash and user interchangeable focusing screens but it is a smooth operator like its predecessors.

01-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The 1977 released XD-11 was the first SLR to incorporate shutter and aperture priority autoexposure as well as program mode - features not available on a Pentax until the Super Program released in 1983. The XD-11 was another body developed in collaboration with Leica giving them the R4. It didn't have MLU, TTL flash and user interchangeable focusing screens but it is a smooth operator like its predecessors.
Interesting thread

I remember in the 1980s when three of us poor penniless students chose cameras to be purchased by one of our number (to be bought black-market (of course) in Singapore where he was heading with the Royal Navy)

I chose Pentax (MX with 50mm f1.7 and 120mm f 2.8 lens)

The others chose
Nikon FM and Olympus OM respectively

I think (although I have not talked to the other two recently)
I won

My MX, despite experiencing, -15 degrees cold in the European Alps, and being used under and within a freezing waterfall in Scotland amongst other 20 year abuses
STILL WORKS- (remind me I must revisit film)]

I have inherited another one which has a seriously dented Pentaprism
BUT STILL WORKS

Indestructible camera

PS
What I actually like about this camera is it's total independence regarding electricity
With absolutely no batteries in the camera you can keep on taking acceptable photographs (on film of course), provided you have some concept of exposure

01-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I didn't appreciate the OM until last year when I bought a bagful of OM gear at a charity shop for next to nothing, I got an OM 1, 28, 50 & 135 lenses, motor drive and flash for 20, and all in great condition, it even had a film in it.
When I bought it I already had a few old Pentax cameras, SIa, K, ME Super and MG, and a good selection of Takumars and many other M42 lenses. I like my old Pentax gear, I've since added a couple of Spotmatic's to the collection. I think Pentax led the way back in the day and produced some very high quality and ground breaking cameras. But when I got the OM 1 I realised that Olympus were also in the game back then as well, the OM 1 is a revelation, different in so many ways to the Pentax of the day, and equally different to the Canon AE1 I was using back in the early 1970's.

I've still got the AE1, and my old A1, and all the Pentax film cameras, plus a load of Minolta, Rollei Yashica, Chinon, Zenit and other stuff. Is the OM series better? No, but it's different. I'd say it's just as good quality, and there are differences in actual specifications, which might make a difference in your choice. But the truth is, the OM is a remarkable camera, but so were Pentax back then. I think they led the way and Canon & Nikon had to play catch up.