Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

MZ-5 loads film, but then blinks "E"

What mechanism tells the camera that film is loaded incorrectly?

I bought a used MZ-5 that seems in fine condition. It had film in it which I shot up for testing and threw away. When I went to reload film, this happened.

It seems like the camera works fine, but thinks that for some reason the film is loaded wrong, so it blinks "E". The manual unhelpfully suggests that when this happens, the film is loaded incorrectly, and to re-load the film, but I've tried several dozen times now. When I open the camera back I can see the film appears to be loaded perfectly fine...I have to pull it off the take-up spool against the resistance of the motor. The camera works fine with no film as far as I can tell, too. I'd hate to chuck it in the trash when it seems to be working fine absent this one hitch.

07-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

if i had to guess, it'd probably be the cheap plastic gear from the winding motor broke
very common MZ problem
07-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is that a part that is inside, or one where I can see it? Is it fixable?

The camera winds the film around the take-up spool successfully. When I open the camera back, there is several inches wound around the take-up side already, and everything looks perfectly normal. Wouldn't that mean that the winding motor is working?
09-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi BetterSense, have you solved the film loading problem? I just come across the same problem, MZ-50, battery die when I shoot over 13 shots, soon the winding motor starts to work.
Film icon is blinking, I just opened the cover to find that the film was not yet winded. Of course, this film is exposed.
So I have to take the whole film out manually. The problem is that I put a new film in, 'E' starts to blink, dozen times tried as you descried, still the same.

10-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happened to me the first time I tried loading my ZX-5. The film was curled up a little, and too far in. I had to push it back into the cannister and lay it really flat. Hope it is working for you all!