Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
As for mounting to the camera, the reason I asked about the cheaper M42-K mount adapters is having heard that some could be basically permanently affixed to lenses. Since I won't need infinity focus, it'd be convenient to not have to keep taking the adapter in and out of the camera, you see.
I think the issue was that the cheaper adapters get stuck in the camera body. That's a bigger issue in my eyes. I don't think that there is much of an issue with lenses sticking.

08-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I think the issue was that the cheaper adapters get stuck in the camera body. That's a bigger issue in my eyes. I don't think that there is much of an issue with lenses sticking.
Ah, well, we don't want 'stuck in camera.' (By what means would this happen? ) This would be bad.

I was actually thinking it'd be fine for the K mount to live on the bellows, is all, so I could just rack the camera on. It'd rarely have to come off the bellows, after all, though I could get a 'P' type adapter and do macro with my old Canons.
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

There are several accounts of ill-fiting adapters and ones that got (hopefully) temporarily stuck in K-mount bodies.

THere are threads on this topic here, here, here, and here and plenty more out there. At least a couple of people have managed to affix an adapter to a lens, but in the thread I saw, the OP did some machining for a decent fit.

Cheers!

A
08-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are several accounts of ill-fiting adapters and ones that got (hopefully) temporarily stuck in K-mount bodies.

THere are threads on this topic here, here, here, and here and plenty more out there. At least a couple of people have managed to affix an adapter to a lens, but in the thread I saw, the OP did some machining for a decent fit.

Cheers!

A
Thanks for looking all that up, Adam! I'm not afraid of making a few alterations, if someone's got it all figured out already.

May get the genuine Pentax first for comparisons, if I decide to get that creative.

(Edit: for anyone interested, it's the adapters with the flanges, rather than the pesky spring clips, that I was thinking of for this application, no worries about infinity focus for this purpose. Asked on one of those threads if anyone'd ever had a problem with one. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 PM.
09-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha! Hey, Geauxpez, I finally got my adapters in the mail (seems like that took a while, but here they are, and I fit it up to my ME Super and a 75mm enlarging lens (Just cause that's not on a lensboard atm.) Looks pretty promising for copying my negs with my digital. At least it ought to do some neat macro: playing around, I could more than fill the frame with a can tab.

We'll find out about the negs, maybe tomorrow: want to be sure of this adapter before I go sticking my K20d on there, (Don't think it's possible it can get stuck, but I'm pretty wiped. )

The adapters ought to work, not the height of machining accuracy, I think, but they hold in place. (I definitely was glad I took the time to clean them carefully with oil: there were filings in the threads. )

Updates to follow...
09-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The big concern with the slide duplicators is even lighting across the slide. My best setup was with using a small light box or table as a background.
I just used to point mine out the window on a sunny day.

btw - I find it surprising that no one is producing slide duplicators that can be used on today's DSLRs. There is obviously a market for them.
09-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha. Further update: it looks like this will work. (I tried putting my 50mm enlarging lens on there, it looks like it'll be nice for macro but won't cover. Wants to be too close. The 75, however, looks like it'll focus far enough away that it'll probably cover the frame when I put my K20 on this setup: seems the only question may be if I can get the negative carrier far enough away while it's attached to the rail, and how nice of results I can get.
09-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think Silverfast and/or VueScan

Also this may help: Getting a Nikon Scanner to Run on 64-bit Vista - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light
or this from Nikon Support
QuoteQuote:
What is this?
This is Nikon Scan 1.6.3 Scan Software for Windows
What is new/Content Description
N/A
Compatible Scanners

* Coolscan II LS-20
* Super Coolscan LS-1000
* LS-4500 MultiFormat
* Scantouch AX-110 and AX-210
* 32 bit ASPI layer on Windows NT for Windows 95 or NT 4.0

* This software is supported on Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0; although Nikon can not support it, users have reported Nikon Scan 1.6.3 working on later versions of Windows as well.

What's included in the download
Zipped installer application
Special Notes
N/A

Click Here for instructions on downloading and installing (for Windows)

Click Here to view the License Agreement

Agree to License and start download File Size 1.5MB
BUT, it seens to work great with Linux

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I picked up a Nikon LS-1000 scanner for $25 from a local professional photographer. The catch is there aren't drivers to run them on Vista and XP is tricky. He got from an FSU sale and scanned all of his slides and then sold it to me. I've seen another one around here for $19 but don't know if it works or not.

09-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

MANY years ago I used on to make B&W slides from B&W negatives. It actually worked pretty well. I would think that it would have to be easier to do what you are trying to do that way than it would be to scan them.
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, Parallax, I'm hoping that it'll tide me over at least till I have a better scanning solution. I finally set everything up today, and it covers the frame pretty easily with my 75mm enlarging lens, (Yay!)

May take a little playing around to find where I get my best results, but it's looking promising. It's a busy day today, so I could only do a bit before I lost the daylight. (Next steps will be to see what I can do about mounting all this to a board with its own lighting right there, so that when I'm sitting here being all tired at the end of the day, , I'll be able to pop some negs in there and put em up online or whatever.

It looks as though I'll be able to get away with adding a short extension tube to the camera end of things, and thereby be able to mount up the K20d without taking the grip off, just for convenience, too. (The bellows interferes, there.)

Ought to be very workable, though.
09-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Good to hear. I would like to see a photo of that setup in action if possible.
09-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good to hear. I would like to see a photo of that setup in action if possible.
Hee, it's been a pretty useless day today, (tired myself out yesterday, durnit.) but have a look at what else this can do:

09-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Now that's an interesting getup. Now you just need to be able to tilt/swing/shif or whatever it is that the large formatters do.
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now that's an interesting getup. Now you just need to be able to tilt/swing/shif or whatever it is that the large formatters do.
Heehee. I wonder how I might pull *that* off. I could probably work in a little swing and tilt with a bit of a Lensbaby type setup or one of those adapters. In the former case it might just make sense to omit the bellows, though.

I promised some images from this on a thread I made in the Lens forum: the body (my body, not the camera body, that is) hasn't been cooperating for a couple of days, though. It's pretty bizarre to be getting focus confirmation while focusing with a bellows.
10-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Hi,

I modified my Pentax K bellows unit to cater for the digital cropping, you can see the pics of the modification on my Flickr site here

Pentax Bellows K and Slide Copier - a set on Flickr

It works well