Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MX liner turned to gunk

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I mentioned this in a previous thread, but now it's become a new topic. I just got a Pentax MX from e-bay. The sealing liner (or whatever it's called) in the back has of course turned to smeary gunk. I'm going to have the camera cleaned and the liner replaced. Question: Will I just be wasting my time if I test out this new purchase by shooting a couple of rolls before replacing the sealing liner? That is, without a liner seal is light intrusion (?) likely to spoil the exposures?

05-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you have a roll in already, you can most likely finish it up. However, I wouldn't run any more through. The gunky foam is a common "feature" on the older MX bodies. It indicates that the previous owner did not have the camera serviced for many, many years. That could be good or bad. Good in that if he used it heavily, it never needed servicing. Bad in that he might have let it lie around for years, neglected. The foam can be replaced and you will be back to 'good as new'.

Did the seller indicate anything about the condition of the camera? If he said it was 'mint', 'perfect', or any other type of adjective that indicated pristine condition, then he misrepresented the condition of the thing. Could be the basis of a price adjustment. If he advertised the sale 'as is', then you are out of luck. Might be worth a short correspondence in any case.
05-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Did the seller indicate anything about the condition of the camera? If he said it was 'mint', 'perfect', or any other type of adjective that indicated pristine condition, then he misrepresented the condition of the thing. Could be the basis of a price adjustment. If he advertised the sale 'as is', then you are out of luck. Might be worth a short correspondence in any case.
Thanks for the advice. And I agree. The seller advertised it as 'Excellent plus, according the "Shutterbug rating system." He was probably referring no to Shutterbug publication but to a camera reseller with a simlar but not identical name. Gunk liner does not qualify as Excellent plus in my book.
05-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
The foam can be replaced and you will be back to 'good as new'.

By the way, I forgot to ask: do you know of any recommended Pentax-savvy service centers that I could send it to, or is this something most camera service centers may be expected to handle?

05-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

irminsul

I have never used this outfit but they seem to be just what you are looking for in repairs and service for Pentax equipment. If all you need to do is have the light seals and foam mirror bumper replaced any local shop should be able to do this for you.

As for condition if the only problem is the light seals being old then you are ahead of the game. If mechanically the MX functions fine and the body is in good shape no dents or scratches with the finder clear for a 25+ year old camera I would be satisfied.
05-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any competent camera repair shop can do the job; this doesn't have to be a Pentax repair center.

Note, that the foam in the top of the mirror chamber most likely also needs to be replaced. The purpose of that foam is to reduce the mirror slap.
05-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for the advice and recommendations. On closer inspection, it appears that the metering system may need some calibration, as they light turns red when it appears it should be green or at least orange. I'll e-mail Eric asap.

05-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #8

Ebay foam kit.

I have seen foam kits on ebay.

I was thinking of buying a Super Program that has crummy foam.

How hard is it to replace the light seal foam and the mirror pad foam? I've seen it referred to as a do-it-yourself type procedure. With this camera, the price is good enought that it would make sense to buy it and replace the foam myself if one of the ebay $10 foam kits would do the trick. Otherwise, I'd just wait until one in better shape came around.

Any ideas?
05-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I have never used this outfit but they seem to be just what you are looking for in repairs and service for Pentax equipment. If all you need to do is have the light seals and foam mirror bumper replaced any local shop should be able to do this for you.
Eric's repair services seem to be pretty highly regarded. He goes by "pentaxrepairs" on ebay: eBay My World - pentaxrepairs
If you do a Google search, a couple people on other forums have also suggested to send older Pentax cameras to him for repair.

I've emailed with him a few times in the last few days and, on Monday, I will be sending him a couple cameras that I've picked up in my LBA purchases on eBay.

theapodan, I bought a resealing from Jon Goodman (goes by "interslice" on eBay). It's a pretty good kit, but resealing a camera definitely requires steady hands and patience. I probably used up enough material to reseal two or three cameras in my attempt to reseal an ME Super. I ended up selling off the ME Super and just buying a professionally cleaned and resealed one off eBay because I didn't trust my own workmanship.
05-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
I already e-mailed Eric. His shop will not only reseal the camera but also doing other recommended maintenance, so that's another reason for me not to do the resealing myself.
05-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
I bought a resealing from Jon Goodman (goes by "interslice" on eBay).
Is this the kit you are talking about:

eBay.ca: The Truth About Camera Light Seal Foam - Please Read (item 110126264337 end time 18-May-07 21:09:26 EDT)

I'd like to reseal my MX and that kit looks like the solution. Is that right?
05-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ivan,
Yep, that's the one. He's a good eBayer and actually emailed me after the auction closed to ask which camera model that I planned to reseal. It comes with plenty of resealing materal, probably enough to reseal 10-15 cameras, depending on if you waste a lot like I did.
05-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
Is this the kit you are talking about:

eBay.ca: The Truth About Camera Light Seal Foam - Please Read (item 110126264337 end time 18-May-07 21:09:26 EDT)

I'd like to reseal my MX and that kit looks like the solution. Is that right?
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
Hi Ivan,
Yep, that's the one. He's a good eBayer and actually emailed me after the auction closed to ask which camera model that I planned to reseal. It comes with plenty of resealing materal, probably enough to reseal 10-15 cameras, depending on if you waste a lot like I did.
That guy's track record is pretty impressive. Over 7,700 feedbacks, and every single one of them positive! No neutrals or negatives. Must be an okay product. (I am not him either, nor have ever had any dealings with him.)