Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-30/F2.8 versus K35/2.0 on FILM

Hello,

Moderators - I posted in the film thread because otherwise I would get all my answers based on digital bodies which I cannot care less about - thanks.

Could you please comment about your experience with either or even better both of these on film B&W and color?
I am looking for a fast K to fill the range between K24/2.8 and K55/1.8.

ps: I have read all the reviews on this forum plus at Stan's web page also but it is easier to get the advice from people I see pictures off everyday in the forum.

Cheers,

Luc

08-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Well I never used the K 30mm, but I did have the K 35/2 and wrote a little review in the section. Found it quite sharp, nice bokeh, good flare resistance. My copy seemed to deal with close distances better than far/infinity. Very easy to focus on the ground glass. I have to confess I mostly shot it with ISO 00+ B&W film, so I can't comment on the more subtle aspects of its rendering.
08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the K35/2 and it's very good. I have also heard good reviews of the K30/2.8 as well and it is supposed to be sharper than the K35/2. So it would be a tossup of speed (K35/2) or sharpness (K30/2.8).

Another option is the K28/2. I just got a copy recently and it’s moving up the K series ladder to the heights of the K50/1.2. So far it’s perfect and will easily beat the above two lenses due to its floating element design & sharpness.

It’s probably the best K series wide angle lens of the bunch. Unfortunately it’s one of the rarest K series lenses and is very expensive for a lens of that focal length.
(The “M” & “A” versions are not the same and were redesigned without the floating elements)

I have more tests to do, then a full review will follow.

Phil.
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the comments. It looks like your experience matches what I have been reading.
I am looking at a K30/2.8 and K135/2.5 at KEH. If the shipping is not criminal, I might just bite the bullet and complete the "collection".

Csoars
before you tell me that, I know, I wish I just could call it quit with only a few lenses. This is certainly all I need to make pictures. But then there is a certain compulsion of getting nice equipment that has nothing to do with taking pictures

Phil,
Should I even ask the $ figure attached with that lens!

Thanks.
Luc

08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Don't worry, I know. It more so applies to people who bring their entire collection out when they shoot.

I bought a SMC-M 28mm f/2 sight unseen, if only for the brighter finder and extra aperture blade (so it matches the hexagons of my SMC-M 50 f/1.7). It's a stunning little lens, but I've dented the filter ring recently!!!
08-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #6

K 30/2.8

I just bought one of these lenses off the Vancouver Craigslist last weekend. I didn't realize the lens even existed till I saw the ad and did some research. I got the K 30 lens, two MV-1 bodies, a 50/f2, an 80-200 zoom, 2 AF 220T flashes and a few other odds and ends for $100 so I think the price was OK.

The lens certainly produces some nice images with my K20D but I know you're more interested in how it works on a film camera. I'm out in Langley and if you ever come out this way I'd be happy to meet up and let you try a few test shots with the K 30...
08-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LKeithR Quote
I just bought one of these lenses off the Vancouver Craigslist last weekend. I didn't realize the lens even existed till I saw the ad and did some research. I got the K 30 lens, two MV-1 bodies, a 50/f2, an 80-200 zoom, 2 AF 220T flashes and a few other odds and ends for $100 so I think the price was OK.

The lens certainly produces some nice images with my K20D but I know you're more interested in how it works on a film camera. I'm out in Langley and if you ever come out this way I'd be happy to meet up and let you try a few test shots with the K 30...
Now that was a steal.

Congrats and thanks for the offer.

Luc

08-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Now that was a steal.

Congrats and thanks for the offer.

Luc
LKeithR,

I just sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Luc
08-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys for the comments. It looks like your experience matches what I have been reading.
I am looking at a K30/2.8 and K135/2.5 at KEH. If the shipping is not criminal, I might just bite the bullet and complete the "collection".

Csoars
before you tell me that, I know, I wish I just could call it quit with only a few lenses. This is certainly all I need to make pictures. But then there is a certain compulsion of getting nice equipment that has nothing to do with taking pictures

Phil,
Should I even ask the $ figure attached with that lens!

Thanks.
Luc
A lens price database lists the K28/2 selling for between $279 to $899, depending on the condition and if it was bought through eBay or an online camera store.

Phil.
08-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #10

LKeithR,

I just sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Luc
I got your emails. Congrats on taking the plunge with the lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Here's a shot I took this afternoon...

08-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LKeithR Quote
I got your emails. Congrats on taking the plunge with the lens. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Here's a shot I took this afternoon...

I won't be disappointed I can see that

Cheers,

Luc
08-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
A lens price database lists the K28/2 selling for between $279 to $899, depending on the condition and if it was bought through eBay or an online camera store.

Phil.
Yes it is quite a range.

Cheers,

Luc