Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
you buy Delta 3200 and you over expose by 2 stops, then you tell the shop to push-process your roll by 2 stops (or do it yourself)
Rather, you underexpose by 2 stops, and push it 2 stops in development.

Pushing overexposed film will just wash it out.

08-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nesster,

How much experience to you have with the Praktiflex pre-m42 lenses in the m40 mount?
whoa, none, but I sure would love to find out... maybe mflenses.com folks know something

re. push process - need to keep a sharpie to mark the film so's you know how to develop later. That's a note to self as on an upcoming trip I'm thinking med format slides (as I have a bunch of rolls) and 35mm b&w. And I'm considering not taking any Pentax at all.
08-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
whoa, none, but I sure would love to find out... maybe mflenses.com folks know something

re. push process - need to keep a sharpie to mark the film so's you know how to develop later. That's a note to self as on an upcoming trip I'm thinking med format slides (as I have a bunch of rolls) and 35mm b&w. And I'm considering not taking any Pentax at all.
I posted something over the yesterday in Attila's old thread about this lens. I have a Praktiflex coming that has the 50mm f2.9 Victar along with the optional pentaprism. However, the Praktiflex is the FX which suggests that there is a m40 to m42 adapter involved. I dated that particular body to around 1952-54. I initially thought I was getting a 1947 or earlier body but that's ok. If I turn out to be correct, I can use my early taks on it.

I do the Sharpie trick if for no other reason to remember which camera it came out of.
08-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
Rather, you underexpose by 2 stops, and push it 2 stops in development.

Pushing overexposed film will just wash it out.
right! sorry, i got things mixed up.

08-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #35
Moderator PEG Judges

Interesting thread this, as you can see from my sig I took a leap of faith a good while back, but I will admit to using my LX's from time to time. Whilst using film is still good fun etc, I tend to miss the immediacy of digital especially if working for uploading etc.

Film tends to be for me now, my fine artst type of stuff.
08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I go through phases. I'll pick up one of my film cameras for a "days shoot" & wind up in a "film state of mind" for weeks. It's not as big a leap as it is for most shooters, as my shooting style doesn't change much (I shoot digitally exclusively with my old manual Pentax P/K & M42 Takumar lenses), except when using one of my '50s folders or TLR MFs. In fact, I'll sometimes take my DSLR & a Spotmatic out on the same outing, as they share the same lenses anyway.
08-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is interesting how a thread on the net can influence our lives thousands of miles away...Even though as I said earlier, I am shooting film most days, I still do have a DSLR in my truck. Habit? perhaps..even though it does not get used often, I know it is still there. Yesterday afternoon, I took in to the house to clean it and change the lens..This morning I forgot the thing and as I am in my driveway, I started to head back to the house to pick it up and remembered this thread...Hence I left for work with out my DSLR and I must admit, It was hard to do...even though it has not been used for a little bit, it was hard to leave. Still, I have an ME SUPER and Canon AE-1 in my truck and felt strange with out a dslr, but still, I made it to work...How silly I know, but it is what it is..End of morning rant.
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
It is interesting how a thread on the net can influence our lives thousands of miles away...Even though as I said earlier, I am shooting film most days, I still do have a DSLR in my truck. Habit? perhaps..even though it does not get used often, I know it is still there. Yesterday afternoon, I took in to the house to clean it and change the lens..This morning I forgot the thing and as I am in my driveway, I started to head back to the house to pick it up and remembered this thread...Hence I left for work with out my DSLR and I must admit, It was hard to do...even though it has not been used for a little bit, it was hard to leave. Still, I have an ME SUPER and Canon AE-1 in my truck and felt strange with out a dslr, but still, I made it to work...How silly I know, but it is what it is..End of morning rant.
I do the same thing. Even when I'm far into my "film only" phase, I usually carry around my Canon S70 compact in a pouch on my belt, ""just in case". (Just in case "what" I don't really know, but I do feel a little vulnerable without it as a backup).

08-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I strongly support the additional 12 pictures of your dog. There are never enough pictures of one's dog.

Cheers,

Luc
I agree with you on the dog pictures ---- however my wife claims that I shoot too many photos of our dog versus our kids ---- go figure --- one thing for sure is that my dog is always happy to see me when I get home from work

kman
08-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I agree with you on the dog pictures ---- however my wife claims that I shoot too many photos of our dog versus our kids ---- go figure --- one thing for sure is that my dog is always happy to see me when I get home from work

kman
I am with you all the way
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
An exception is when testing cameras. For that, I wish I had a bulk-loader to make really short rolls.
All this short-roll talk confuses me. Of course you can remove and replace a roll in mid-roll...I just write "Go to X" on the leader where X equals the number of frames showing on the camera +1 for safety. Then I can put the roll back in whenever I want to finish it off.

For testing purposes where you want to develop few exposures, you don't need special short rolls. Just take the camera into the dark, open the back, cut (or tear) the film in the middle over the shutter with scissors and yank out all the exposed film. Spool it up for development right then or put it in a can for later. Just trim a new leader onto the end of the cassette and remember how many is left in there.

I do this all the time for testing new films, exposures or development, or even for shots of stuff I want to put on the web. Shoot a few frames, yank them out of the camera, develop, fix, wash, dry with paper towers and into the scanner or enlarger. Or trash can.

QuoteQuote:
1. those two are bw films
I don't think color is ever going to catch on anyway
QuoteQuote:
2. most shops charge extra for pushing
Only suckers pay to have their bw film developed when doing it yourself is as easy as making a TV dinner.
QuoteQuote:
3. while grain is nice, you cant quite compare that to this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/692124-post97.html
You are right. High ISO settings and anti-shake are two of the only things I'm jealous of digital over.
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #42
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BetterSense Quote

All this short-roll talk confuses me. Of course you can remove and replace a roll in mid-roll...I just write "Go to X" on the leader where X equals the number of frames showing on the camera +1 for safety. Then I can put the roll back in whenever I want to finish it off.

For testing purposes where you want to develop few exposures, you don't need special short rolls. Just take the camera into the dark, open the back, cut (or tear) the film in the middle over the shutter with scissors and yank out all the exposed film. Spool it up for development right then or put it in a can for later. Just trim a new leader onto the end of the cassette and remember how many is left in there.
...Or you could just start shooting with an old Exakta. Some models had a built-in knife to cut the film in mid roll...

Steve
12-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
1. those two are bw films
2. most shops charge extra for pushing
3. while grain is nice, you cant quite compare that to this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/692124-post97.html
Those are some good looking high Iso shots. And fine discussions in the thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You can use Ilford Delta 3200 (pushed up to 12500) and also Fuji Neopan 1600 (pushed up to 12500) !
For now, I'm getting by with pushing Tri-x
But will look forward to experimenting with other films, (also for the resolution possible)
12-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...Or you could just start shooting with an old Exakta. Some models had a built-in knife to cut the film in mid roll...

Steve
Heheh. That's a neat thing I never would have expected to need.

I haven't particularly felt like cutting up commercial rolls and leaving them around in that state, but I could do just that with some of this Arista I've got, as soon as I get these few projects together.
12-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I'm starting to rewind back to film mainly because I want to get away from the computer. Just lately it seems if I sit down to do some serious PP I start to feel sick after half an hour or so. It's been a happy nuisance because I'm really enjoying using film again and have even bought a MF beast. Developing my own b&w negs after many years away has been a challenge I've enjoyed. Now someone's just given me an old enlarger, so I'm back where I was in the 1960s/70s. Loving it. And to cap it off, I took some rubbish to the council tip the other day and found a Rollei slide projector, complete with case, two spare bulbs, remote and the original instruction manual! The tip man said "take it." Took it home, switched it on and away it went. Time to buy some slide film!