Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My closets and cabinets are filling up with negatives and CDs from the minilabs, and folder pages of home developed film... heeeeeelllpppp.... There's a real downside to any active photography, whether digital or film: where to store the damn things. How to store em. The physical requirements of film are greater than those of digital, though with digital you have the problem of saving a persistent copy somehow.

12-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
My closets and cabinets are filling up with negatives and CDs from the minilabs, and folder pages of home developed film... heeeeeelllpppp.... There's a real downside to any active photography, whether digital or film: where to store the damn things. How to store em. The physical requirements of film are greater than those of digital, though with digital you have the problem of saving a persistent copy somehow.
I'd page them all, with like your Printfile stuff: it'll probably save enough space compared to random envelopes and boxes to make it all manageable. It always seems to me a few stray commercial processing envelopes and strips of sleeves generate exponentially-more clutter than paged stuff.
12-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Nesster,
I was going over my film cd's/negs for 2009 and I filled up a 25 gallon tote. I shot over 200 rolls of film this past year...I have not added it up as too what I spent on film and developing last year, but I will do so. Now I am curious.

Correction...I shot just under 200 rolls. 198 to be exact as I counted them.

Last edited by jgredline; 12-27-2009 at 11:54 PM.
12-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Javier, which is the main reason for going home developed B&W, the cost is far less, and the urge to shoot is tempered by time developing and scanning

Ratmagiclady - yes, that would be the thing to do. I should take a pic of our photo cabinet, remembering there's two more cardboard boxes with just as much stuff in them. It's actually fun going through old photos with the negatives in the same envelope, as scanning them now, 20 years later, can be educational.

12-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #50
Inactive Account

I too recently went exclusively film(mostly) and have found these sheets very handy for my 35mm stuff; I'm sure they make them for 120 too. After developing my B&W or getting my color back from the lab, I place the negatvies on my scanner and scan all the strips as one big image at anywhere from 600-900 SPI. This gives me enough pixels to crop out web res images and send high res digital contact sheets to my inkjet printer. On all the B&W I develop, I write the development data, including time, developer, agitation, etc. on the back of the contact sheet for future reference. Being able to view the entire roll, including frame numbers, exposure data(MZ-S data imprinting), and film type in one glance really rocks!

I haven't ran into storage issues yet, mainly because I ony shoot one roll per week on average. It also helps that I'm only 30 years old and don't have a backlog like some of you old timers . The stuff I do have fits in a modest sized fire proof safe or filing cabinet. The negatives act as my RAWs and the high-res scans get saved on a little Linux server I have setup.

Things may change in a few years, but right now I'm finding this workflow a better fit for me than I had with digital. I spend just as much time processing the keepers as I did with digital, but choosing the ones that are worth my time is proving much easier. When I was shooting digital I would get lazy and leave the raw images on the card unprocessed for a few outings and by the time I got around to processing them all, it was so tiresome to have to wade through all the junk just to find the good shots, not to mention overwhelming. I know that is my fault, but digital makes me lazy... or more realistically, I'm lazy when I shoot digitally.

But anyway, this thread's about film, not how it compares to digital, so carry on. ...I just wanted to post what works for me in case there's an off chance someone might find some of it works for them too.