Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
gone exclusively film

It's been a month now, I haven't used a digital camera at all... daughter's commandeered the K100D and has shot thousands of photos.

So, what's it like?

I started developing B&W again... and promptly started to forget which lenses I was using for what... and also the first time I developed 2 35mm rolls at the same time, I did so using Kodak Photoflo instead of T-Max. Clean film, at least

I like the variety of film and camera, and there seem to have been a couple of new cameras showing up at the door... In the real film days, I'd only have 1 or at most an additional ps camera, but now I have too many cameras. I end up having one loaded with B&W and another with color. The old issues of is it the right ASA and formulation crop up... because I'll only carry one cam with me.

The wait/delay between shot and eventual display (or posting online) is longer, obviously, so that particular thing isn't as immediate.

The film only policy hasn't changed my medium format habit too much, as I've always kept the rotation going with these.

What do I miss? The immediate feedback by chimping and uploading the card the same day. The ability to adjust the photo apparatus to conditions (i.e. digital camera has a greater area of adjustability to conditions). Not having to decide, 5-7 photos from the end of a roll, whether or not to 'waste' the end with misc shots in order to get to the pictures earlier... nor running out of roll just when the best opportunity actually comes along.

08-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

my biggest problem with going 100% film is a lack of ISO3200

with my digital, when i go out with my buddies at night, i slap on a fast lens and crank it to 3200. Nice clean photos all around.

with film? no so much
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations! Once your "withdrawal symptoms" subside you won't miss digital one bit!

Chris
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
It's been a month now, I haven't used a digital camera at all...
Same here for a couple of months and I have a pretty nice digital setup:
1 K20D with grip and 50-135mm mounted
1 K20D and 16-50mm mounted

I have also considered selling the setup but I am kind of reluctant to break-up the set i.e. only one lens sell or something like that

The only thing that I am thinking about is that the system is waterproof - here in Vancouver that is a nice feature!

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 08-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This last month, I have been shooting film more than digital. Part of the credit for that goes to the "Sightseeing Screwmount" project. Knowing that I had a limited time and needing to make a fair number of exposures in case some turned out poorly, pretty much dictated that I convert my bag to a screw mount kit. I sometimes threw the K10D with FA 35/2 in as well, but primarily for meter confirmation if needed. It was a fairly painless experience and I am tempted to do the same in the near future with one of my M42 bodies.

I have generally been pleased with my film results and am strongly tempted to buy a brick of B&W and dig out my processing tanks. The main issue there has been the lack of digital ICE for B&W scanning on the 5000 ED.

The things I miss from digital:
  • Immediate gratification
  • Easy access to high ISO and TAv mode should I need it
  • Many exposures per card

Steve
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good choice, welcome to the film only club! Try the Fomapan b&w slide film if you get a chance.
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

my problem with 35mm film is that i have a hard time finishing a roll unless i am on vacation. 120 "conveniently" solves that dilemma.

08-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
my problem with 35mm film is that i have a hard time finishing a roll unless i am on vacation. 120 "conveniently" solves that dilemma.
I can identify with that. It can take forever to get through a roll of 35mm. For a while I was using a bulk roller to make short 35mm rolls, but if you don't click the shutter lots of times in a day, medium format starts to make more sense.
08-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The funny thing is, I realize my total film usage is up only a smidge, as I was mostly film already. What I dropped was the grab the digital and shoot something bits... the damn camera wasn't something I like to carry around much.

I'm glad to see how many film heads there are around here!
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
This is another reason I prefer 24 exposure rolls over 36 when available...

Chris
08-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Funny though - does anybody have a problem squeezing out 36+ digital pics? What is it with film
08-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Funny though - does anybody have a problem squeezing out 36+ digital pics? What is it with film
cuz we're cheap bastids
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've been shooting with film a bit lately but I still mix it up with the K10D, for me there's no be all end all, just whatever suits at a given time. If I feel a little digital slump coming on, I shoot film for a little creative/anticipating buzz whether on my spotmatic or holga and when I use my K10D again, I feel a little revived.
08-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hee. Well, for me, I still tend to consider film my primary medium: digital absorbs a lot of the social shots I'd otherwise just be throwing around, and substitutes for a color/slow film body. When I was slinging a bridge camera alongside my film stuff, I found I could use the bridge to loosen folks up and grab the snapshottey stuff. (As well as, wonderfully, 'long lens' stuff I sure wouldn't tote a bird lens around for. )

I'm starting to drift back toward that, somewhat, as I start getting the whole digital learning curve together. (At least the shooting end of it. ) Then again, I haven't been doing too much shooting at all in a while, not having been feeling well. Also wondering what to make of this town in that way.
08-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This is another reason I prefer 24 exposure rolls over 36 when available...

Chris
Likewise. The only issue is that most of the time locally there is only 36 exposures available on some films.

Cheers,

Luc