Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How to quit smoking....

I had five bucks left. I was out of cigs. I was also out of film.....I found myself at the camera shop rather than the gas station.

hmmmmm

Time to quit, I guess.

08-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dude, if you figure that one out, make sure you share the wealth .

Five bucks won't get me a pack of smokes...I'm looking at $7.50 a pack in CT. Fortunately film is a little cheaper, but not much.

Best of luck with quitting. I'm reminded of the famous Mark Twain quote: "Quitting smoking is easy. I myself have done it a thousand times."
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I quit just over 15 years ago.
Wanting to quit smoking wasn't enough.
Not wanting to send my money to the bastards in Ottawa wasn't enough.
All the cancer society scare tactics weren't enough.
Wanting to be a non smoker was the ticket. Until you want to be a non smoker (this is not the same as wanting to quit smoking), it's pretty much impossible to quit.
08-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Wanting to be a non smoker was the ticket. Until you want to be a non smoker (this is not the same as wanting to quit smoking), it's pretty much impossible to quit.
and that ladies and gentlemen, is the cold hard truth.

and the worst part about it, its not explainable.

08-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, Mitchell, you've got your priorities straight!
The ciggies aren't giving you the satisfaction that cam gear does...
May be the first signs....

Yep, Wheatfield's got it right, though it is explainable, just not accepted or appreciated by smokers much.

The psychology of craving that next cigarette goes beyond the physical addiction - the factors surrounding why smokers smoke, as well as changing smoker's attitude towards their habit, need to be addressed before any meaningful success in quitting is possible. A shift in thinking, counselling, pharmacological aids (nicotine patches or medications like zyban or champix or whatever they're called elsewhere) and even avoiding the places/people/settings that trigger the psychological 'need' to smoke all go a long way in helping smokers quit for good.

I digress, I apologise - just an area of interest for me...
All the best in that Mitchell!

Last edited by Ash; 08-12-2009 at 12:04 AM.
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well, Mitchell, you've got your priorities straight!
The ciggies aren't giving you the satisfaction that cam gear does...
May be the first signs....

Yep, Wheatfield's got it right, though it is explainable, just not accepted or appreciated by smokers much.

The psychology of craving that next cigarette goes beyond the physical addiction - the factors surrounding why smokers smoke, as well as changing smoker's attitude towards their habit, need to be addressed before any meaningful success in quitting is possible. A shift in thinking, counselling, pharmacological aids (nicotine patches or medications like zyban or champix or whatever they're called elsewhere) and even avoiding the places/people/settings that trigger the psychological 'need' to smoke all go a log way in helping smokers quit for good.

I digress, I apologise - just an area of interest for me...
All the best in that Mitchell!
no, dont apologize

although i will disagree about the patch...

i quit smoking for 5 months once by use of "fake" cigarettes (tasted like dried up onions)

by fulfiling my mental desire to smoke, while absolutely eliminating nicotine intake, i lost the urge in about 2 weeks. Then it was smooth sailing.

However at some point i just "felt" like smoking again, so i did. I never took steps to psychologically eliminate my desire to smoke, and that is the hardest part.
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I quit the first week of May this year. The price per pack on a carton reached $5.20 at the smoke shops and that was the "nail in the coffin" for me.

My wife and I both got on the patch and it worked; some days better than others...

I had wanted to end the habit for some time but the math was the kicker for me: $5.20 per day equates to one roll of 36exp HP5 or Neopan400 shot and developed per day. That's a no brainer.

08-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Here in Japan cigarettes are really cheap, like $3, cheaper than film in some cases. I quit for about 3 months straight and have started again when out socially with the lads but I never take them home and smoke during the day. excuses, yeah but I figure smoking 15 one fri in a month is better than 10 a day.
08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ash, thanks for the input and Jim, always happy to hear successful "quit" stories; gives hope to those of us still addicted.

Particularly in this day and age, there is something deliciously anti-social about the habit. If I quit, I'm going to have to find another way of metaphorically extending my middle finger to the universe

Best to all,
Kevin
08-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I quit 25 days ago. I started out using the patch then it got to be more annoying than cigs did. I stopped using the patch 7 days ago and still have not picked up a cigarette and smoked.

I tried this several times over the last 35 years and nothing seemed to work until I decided, I didn't want to smoke anymore. I was tired of having to use medicine so I could breathe and there was this annoying scratchy throat I had, I could only talk for about 20 minutes before I had to stop so I could clear my throat. No I don't even have the scratchy frog voice anymore either.
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Actually, the idea has actually crossed my mind to make a cigarette case with film box ends all over it to remind me what each pack costs.
08-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I smoked everything - even tobacco! - for 20 years; from 17 until 37. The thought of seeing myself as a non-smoker was working heavily on my mind for a few months up to the day I quit. It wasn't about the money but more about my health. At the time I was watching my Dads health deteriorate due to a lifetime of smoking, and that was a huge incentive in itself. On his deathbed he said to me,"If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself!" We both knew it wasn't original, but certainly was poignant. No patch, or herbal cigs for me - I just quit; the proverbial cold-turkey. Eighteen years later I am a born-again, non-smoker. Life is great and although it was difficult I never looked back or was tempted to start up again. This winter, while in Cuba, I brought back a few packs of Monte Cristo's and gave them all away. The urges and temptations will eventually go away - hang in there.
08-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
and that ladies and gentlemen, is the cold hard truth.
and the worst part about it, its not explainable.
Hmmm...

“Anybody with a little guts and the desire to apply himself can make it, he can make anything he wants to make of himself.”
~ Willie Shoemaker

or...

“Out of need springs desire, and out of desire springs the energy and the will to win.”
Denis Waitley

or...

“Success is focusing the full power of all you are on what you have a burning desire to achieve.”
~ Wilfred Peterson

That gets it pretty well for me...

MJB DIGITAL, do it! I am at five years quit. I was tired of being a slave. I am now free. I cannot ell you how many ways in which my life has changed for the better.

Please see www.quitnet.com. it's not for everyone, but in th early days it helped keep me positive.

woof!

Time Smoke-Free: 2095 days, 12 hours, 2 minutes and 13 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 41910
Lifetime Saved: 10 months, 20 days, 3 hours
Money Saved: $10,475.00
^^^^^^
That's a lotta LBA!
08-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I quit just over 15 years ago.
Wanting to quit smoking wasn't enough.
Not wanting to send my money to the bastards in Ottawa wasn't enough.
All the cancer society scare tactics weren't enough.
Thats the best way to explain it I have ever read.

I quit 14 years ago. Fell off the wagon a couple times during the process, but eventually I did it.

I'm still a complete caffeine junky though...

Good Luck MJB! Keep trying until you do quit. For some people it will take more then one try.

So, What film did you buy?
08-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just don't smoke today!

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I had five bucks left. I was out of cigs. I was also out of film.....I found myself at the camera shop rather than the gas station.

hmmmmm

Time to quit, I guess.

Dude - you are in St. Louis. You can get a pack of Marlboros at Dirt Cheap Cigs & Beer (I hate that cheeping chicken) and a roll of store-brand C-41 Process B&W at Walgreens for $4.86, tax included.

Of course, you have to buy gas to get to Dirt Cheap Cigs & Beer - but then there's a Walgreen's on every corner, so it all comes out in the wash.

Or something.

I don't have to want to be a non-smoker, or think about not smoking tomorrow, or next week or next year.

I just have to not smoke today. It's really that simple.

Just don't smoke today.

I'm still a smoker.

I just didn't smoke today. (or yesterday, or for however many days since I stopped counting. I don't know about tomorrow yet.)